• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The list of the top 100 teams of all time

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now thats a party..........:lol:

If I had to put up with those 2 for more than 5 min, would end up whacking em both and snorting up the coke,going out with a bang before the cops came

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to put up with those 2 for more than 5 min, would end up whacking em both and snorting up the coke,going out with a bang before the cops came
I seriously doubt that I could make it 5 seconds with Mercury Morris without popping him one in the face. 5 minutes would be an eternity, Sonny, :suds:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except hasnt the patriots been to like 13 straight Championship games or something crazy. That is never gonna get touched if true.
Granted the Niners had much more steep competition, but still. The Patriots dynasty is easily the best in football.

Looked it up because I'm a pathetic nerd. Patriots from 2001 to present are averaging 12.71 regular season wins. I divided 236 wins by 18.5625 (as this season isn't complete yet). Patriots have missed the playoffs twice, won 6 Super Bowls, and have appeared in 13 conference championship games. Of course, they are still in their run and can add to those totals.

Niners 1981 to 1998 (excluding the 1982 strike-shortened season with replacement players) averaged exactly 12 wins per regular season. Niners missed the playoffs only once, won 5 Super Bowls, appeared in 10 conference championship games.

I'll concede the Patriots have had the greater run, but the on field performance is pretty close, IMO.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1981-1998 Niners regular season stats (excluding 1982): 26.4 points scored/game. 16.52 points allowed/game.

2001-present Patriots regular season stats: 27.94 points scored/game. 18.45 points allowed/game.

Remarkably close numbers, IMO. I'm surprised because I thought the Patriots scoring average would be much higher than the 80's-90's Niners. I thought that the 80's-90's Niners points allowed would be much lower than the Patriots.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1981-1998 Niners regular season stats (excluding 1982): 26.4 points scored/game. 16.52 points allowed/game.

2001-present Patriots regular season stats: 27.94 points scored/game. 18.45 points allowed/game.

Remarkably close numbers, IMO. I'm surprised because I thought the Patriots scoring average would be much higher than the 80's-90's Niners. I thought that the 80's-90's Niners points allowed would be much lower than the Patriots.
if it makes you feel any better.
While I stand by the Pats as the best Dynasty in the NFL.
I do believe the Niners best team would beat the Pats best team. Problem with that argument though, is the Niners best team is no capped years & Pats is in capped years.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it makes you feel any better.
While I stand by the Pats as the best Dynasty in the NFL.
I do believe the Niners best team would beat the Pats best team. Problem with that argument though, is the Niners best team is no capped years & Pats is in capped years.

Which teams are you thinking about? Patriots' work with the salary cap is very impressive. The Niners dynasty didn't have to deal with a cap until 1994, and even then, they cheated. LOL.

Salary cap also cuts both ways a little bit. Patriots have to deal with it, but so does their competition. The Niners didn't deal with it until 1994, but neither did their main competition, who were also free to hoard talent like the Niners. Giants, Redskins, and later the Cowboys were very stout. If I can remember correctly, as I was young back then, I think the only thing that teams had to deal with back then was the Plan B free agency list and needing to provide a list of unprotected players each offseason.

I concede the Patriots have had a greater run than the Niners, but I think it's close. Another point in the Niners defense is that I think that their division rivals during their dynasty were better than the Pats' division rivals. Rams and Saints had some decent teams in the 80's, especially the Rams, and when the Panthers joined the NFC West, they became good pretty quickly. Falcons had some nice teams in the '90s. Meanwhile, IIRC, the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins have been a joke for much of the time these last two decades.

Last edited:

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which teams are you thinking about? Patriots' work with the salary cap is very impressive. The Niners dynasty didn't have to deal with a cap until 1994, and even then, they cheated. LOL.

Salary cap also cuts both ways a little bit. Patriots have to deal with it, but so does their competition. The Niners didn't deal with it until 1994, but neither did their main competition, who were also free to hoard talent like the Niners. If I can remember correctly, as I was young back then, I think the only thing that teams had to deal with back then was the Plan B free agency list and needing to provide a list of unprotected players each offseason.

I concede the Patriots have had a greater run than the Niners, but I think it's close. Another point in the Niners defense is that I think that their division rivals during their dynasty were better than the Pats' division rivals. Rams and Saints had some decent teams in the 80's, especially the Rams, and when the Panthers joined the NFC West, they became good pretty quickly. Falcons had some nice teams in the '90s. Meanwhile, IIRC, the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins have been a joke for much of the time these last two decades.
Well I honestly think the Niners had a couple of teams that would have beaten the Pats best team, but to be fair.
The NFL had to go to a salary cap. Otherwise the Cowboys & Niners would have became the Red Sox & Yankees of the NFL.
Before the Salary cap those two teams would have spent whatever was needed to win the championships. Everyone knew the true superbowl was whoever made the NFC Championship game near the end of the capless era. the Niners could have paid starter money to a 3rd stringer just incase for him to be on the team. So again kind of unfair to compare capless teams vs. capped teams.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always been my take.

The Niners were so blessed to have Montana and then Young. I can't think of any other team that had that much greatness back to back at the QB position. Patriots could've had that with Brady to Jimmy G, but they couldn't keep Jimmy.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners were so blessed to have Montana and then Young. I can't think of any other team that had that much greatness back to back at the QB position. Patriots could've had that with Brady to Jimmy G, but they couldn't keep Jimmy.
And let's be frank, Jimmy G doesn't look like he's going to be anywhere near Young in ability.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the closest one we have seen since is Favre-Rodgers. Not quite the same but close.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And let's be frank, Jimmy G doesn't look like he's going to be anywhere near Young in ability.
Time will tell on that. He may turn out very good yet or maybe not. We have to remember that Steve Young was already a starter in Tampa Bay and then had to wait some time behind Montana. He wasn't as green as JimmyG.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time will tell on that. He may turn out very good yet or maybe not. We have to remember that Steve Young was already a starter in Tampa Bay and then had to wait some time behind Montana. He wasn't as green as JimmyG.

Good fortune for the Niners that the Bucs head coach hated Steve Young.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farve/ Rodgers???

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers was drafted by their team.
Young was traded for.

The one the Cowboys should have had & screwed up was going from Staubach to Montana. of course they didnt know Staubach was gonna retire soon after.

Dak_&_Zeke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers was drafted by their team.
Young was traded for.

The one the Cowboys should have had & screwed up was going from Staubach to Montana. of course they didnt know Staubach was gonna retire soon after.
Shit they could’ve had Rodgers too, but I guess they thought Drew Bledsoe was the QB of the future

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit they could’ve had Rodgers too, but I guess they thought Drew Bledsoe was the QB of the future
well it kinda worked for them.
6th round Brady much better pick than a 1st round Rodgers.

Dak_&_Zeke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well it kinda worked for them.
6th round Brady much better pick than a 1st round Rodgers.
A first round Aaron Rodgers is much much better than an undrafted Tony Romo despite the career he ultimately had. But this is Monday morning QBing so I can’t knock Jerry and the coaching staff for this miss.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A first round Aaron Rodgers is much much better than an undrafted Tony Romo despite the career he ultimately had. But this is Monday morning QBing so I can’t knock Jerry and the coaching staff for this miss.
Oh. I see what you were saying. My bad.
Difference was Montana was at top of our board when it was our pick. Which is we were gonna pick except we decided we liked our other three QBs so we drafted Cosbie.
We had Staubach, White & a no name guy but we drafted in the 2nd round of 77' who they liked.
So with three guys they figured why bother drafting another Qb even though he was top of their board & they were drafting top of their board despite need.
So if they stuck to their plan we actually would have went from Staubach to Montana