• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The list of the top 100 teams of all time

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Young wasn't nor was he as good in the clutch under adversity. Now, this is just my opinion, mind you. Just as yours is yours but didn't you just post on here a couple weeks back that football is not really your thing?
Fair enough.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 85 Bears are the best team all time though

Too bad I didn't start following sports until late '86 or early '87. I do love history, though, and I watch and read about history as much as I can. I do know that the Bears were completely dominant that season. Jim McMahon wasn't a great QB, but you had Walter Payon and you can't lose if the other team can barely score. History major in undergrad. Got a JD instead of a PhD in History, but I've never stopped studying history.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana will always be the greatest in my mind, but I think it's a close call over who's greater between Montana and Young. I think Joe was more of the genius and had the greater vision (he said that he noticed comedian John Candy in the crowd during that famous play where he threw the Super Bowl winning TD to John Taylor), but Young was really damn great, too, and I wonder if the timeline were magically reversed (Young as the Niners starting QB from 1980-1991 and Montana the starting QB from 1991 and onwards), whether the Niners would've won the exact same number of Super Bowls (or possibly more) during the '80s.
Yeah, I was never trying to say Young wasn't a great QB and we will never know the what if scenario. But it did take Young awhile to get to that point. He used to drive Holmgren nuts trying too hard for the big play.
Montana, to me, just had the "it" factor. Just a cool calmness that can't be taught. He would just follow the plan and take what the defense gave him and it always seemed he was one step ahead of everyone. We will never know if Young would have been able to do what Montana did in that final drive you mentioned. We do know what the team mates said about Montana in that situation.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon, man. '80s Niners would be number 1, then followed by '90s Niners as number 2.

Sorry man......No way is there a better team ever than this Pats team weve been watching since Brady took over for Bledsoe...

Give them their props......

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice list.....I kinda more thought of a longevity thing along with sinfle teams.....If I was to base my thoughts over again,I would of taken the 85 team over any other team.....

If I remember right,back when I watched the 80s Bears(I was in my 20s)the 86 team was better......We lost two games that regular season and got bounced out 1st game of the playoffs with a back up qb named.....Doug Flutie.....lol

I really believe if McMahon was the starter,we would have won back to back......
Bears def was like no other......

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes 2 of us, they took the Pats too the woodshed that SB, even that fat fuck Fridge had a rushing td. I still put on my headband and do the SB shuffle like 'sweetness"

Thats a youtube video Id like to see.....lol

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Young wasn't nor was he as good in the clutch under adversity. Now, this is just my opinion, mind you. Just as yours is yours but didn't you just post on here a couple weeks back that football is not really your thing?
I concur with your opinion :nod:

It wasnt his physical stats that made him great. it was what was in his helmet.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He just likes to argue. He's famous for this on the NBA thread.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry man......No way is there a better team ever than this Pats team weve been watching since Brady took over for Bledsoe...

Give them their props......

I was trying to be funny, but now that you have me thinking about the Patriots and Niners, the only fair way to compare those dynasties is to consider the Niners' 80's and 90's teams as one entity. Niners 80's to 90's was really a continuous run of success anyway. IIRC, the Niners even went 10 straight regular seasons of 10 wins or more. If you compare Patriots 2000-present to Niners 1980-1999, it actually is pretty close, IMO. Sure the Patriots have one more Super Bowl win (6 to 5), but winning a Super Bowl involves a luck factor as well, and the Super Bowl winner isn't necessarily the best team, IMO.

Also, you have to consider the rule changes protecting the QB. Montana and Young probably could've lasted a lot longer if they had the rules that Tom Brady plays under. Granted, the Niners couldn't keep both Montana and Young under today's salary cap rules, so there's that argument as well.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to be funny, but now that you have me thinking about the Patriots and Niners, the only fair way to compare those dynasties is to consider the Niners' 80's and 90's teams as one entity. Niners 80's to 90's was really a continuous run of success anyway. IIRC, the Niners even went 10 straight regular seasons of 10 wins or more. If you compare Patriots 2000-present to Niners 1980-1999, it actually is pretty close, IMO. Sure the Patriots have one more Super Bowl win, but winning a Super Bowl involves a luck factor as well, and the Super Bowl winner isn't necessarily the best team, IMO.
Except hasnt the patriots been to like 13 straight Championship games or something crazy. That is never gonna get touched if true.
Granted the Niners had much more steep competition, but still. The Patriots dynasty is easily the best in football.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except hasnt the patriots been to like 13 straight Championship games or something crazy. That is never gonna get touched if true.
Granted the Niners had much more steep competition, but still. The Patriots dynasty is easily the best in football.

Yeah, and doing it under the salary cap. Just about a perfectly run organization for this time period.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and doing it under the salary cap. Just about a perfectly run organization for this time period.
true. that makes it even more impressive.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I'm just saying that the difference might not be as big as people think, but maybe that's just my Niners bias. I haven't looked at the won-loss records for the two teams during their respective dynasy runs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's close.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was never trying to say Young wasn't a great QB and we will never know the what if scenario. But it did take Young awhile to get to that point. He used to drive Holmgren nuts trying too hard for the big play.
Montana, to me, just had the "it" factor. Just a cool calmness that can't be taught. He would just follow the plan and take what the defense gave him and it always seemed he was one step ahead of everyone. We will never know if Young would have been able to do what Montana did in that final drive you mentioned. We do know what the team mates said about Montana in that situation.

I'm a Joe Cool guy for sure. I was sad about the way things ended for Joe in SF, but I guess it was for the best.

Regarding seeing John Candy in the stands during that play, does that show that Joe is easily distracted or that the man literally saw everything when he dropped back to pass? LOL. There's also the story where Joe runs into a man on the street and then remembers exactly that he saw the man years earlier holding a John 3:16 sign at a Niners game.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all good GNG. You kinda like to just argue too. Lots of guys here do. It doesn't matter. It's just banter and opinion. It is better than anything ESPN has to offer these days.
:suds:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Joe Cool guy for sure. I was sad about the way things ended for Joe in SF, but I guess it was for the best.

Regarding seeing John Candy in the stands during that play, does that show that Joe is easily distracted or that the man literally saw everything when he dropped back to pass? LOL. There's also the story where Joe runs into a man on the street and then remembers exactly that he saw the man years earlier holding a John 3:16 sign at a Niners game.
I remember seeing an interview with, I think, one if the linemen on that John Candy thing. He said everybody was twitchy and nervous and Joe did that and smiled and everybody just instantly relaxed. I think he knew exactly what to do in that moment.