• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The latest, latest 53 man roster projection

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From NBC Sports:

Projecting the Bears' 53-man roster

A few surprises, and a semi-shocker in the newest projection. It has Wims missing the cut, with Marvin Hall making the squad. I think Wims has the inside track at the #6 WR spot. Which this in and of itself is a bit surprising, because there's a decent chance that we go with 7 WRs vs 4 TEs, whereas they have it here as 6 & 5, respectively. I'd keep Wims and Hall, and jettison Braunecker.

The mild surprises:

*Kylie Fitts missing the cut, apparently due to Chuck Harris getting in.
*Stephen Denmark also getting the ax, altho perhaps they have plans to sneak him onto the practice squad.
*Veteran Greg Joseph comes out of nowhere (after being cut by the Browns) to take the PK job.
*While not really a surprise at his projected cut, I'd still like to see Ryan Nall get a shot.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wims>>>both Halls

Pineiro will be our kicker IMO.

It would be pretty odd for Denmark to not make the roster, given all the praises being sung about him and having just drafted him, but I guess stranger things have happened.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chuck Harris is a great football name. If I was HC - this would come into play in a large fashion.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wims>>>both Halls

It would be pretty odd for Denmark to not make the roster, given all the praises being sung about him and having just drafted him, but I guess stranger things have happened.
That's why I called the Wims prediction a semi-shocker. He either makes the roster or we lose him - no way at all will he make it to the practice squad. I'd be damn surprised if, assuming there's no injury, he fails to make the roster.

I'm with you on Pineiro, but the brass may want a veteran, so I at least understand why a vet like Joseph gets in there instead. I've even heard snippets that we'd go for Mason Crosby if the Pack cuts him this summer. Not that I'd want him, but there has been a rumor or two out there on the matter.

I'm thinking if Denmark has a realistic shot at making the 53 man roster, he may have to switch to safety or convince Nagy and co that he can handle the hybrid dime spot.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wims>>>both Halls

I like Wims too, but it's tough to compare them as they're such different kind of players. Wims is a possession guy. I like him most, though. No doubt.

All I know is that we have like 27 guys who can return kicks well, so we should be set there. lol

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I called the Wims prediction a semi-shocker. He either makes the roster or we lose him - no way at all will he make it to the practice squad. I'd be damn surprised if, assuming there's no injury, he fails to make the roster.

I'm with you on Pineiro, but the brass may want a veteran, so I at least understand why a vet like Joseph gets in there instead. I've even heard snippets that we'd go for Mason Crosby if the Pack cuts him this summer. Not that I'd want him, but there has been a rumor or two out there on the matter.

I'm thinking if Denmark has a realistic shot at making the 53 man roster, he may have to switch to safety or convince Nagy and co that he can handle the hybrid dime spot.

Denmark looks the fit of a Safety, to me.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest question with Wims is if he can get separation and shake defenders consistently enough to be a regular NFL player.

He could be an excellent red zone guy on fades and 50/50 balls where he would out muscle probably just about anyone.

But can he run routes and make space? He hasn't shown that. Reportedly has had a really good offseason though.

Emanuel Hall though...while I don't expect much from him this coming season...this is a guy that needs to stick to the roster and if coached well could be something. Good size and really good speed. Has all the things you can't teach....and lacks in areas you can.

Hopefully if he doesn't make the cut he's a guy that they can retain on the practice squad.

It's really nice to be this deep at receiver.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest question with Wims is if he can get separation and shake defenders consistently enough to be a regular NFL player.

He could be an excellent red zone guy on fades and 50/50 balls where he would out muscle probably just about anyone.

But can he run routes and make space? He hasn't shown that. Reportedly has had a really good offseason though.
In his limited play last year, in both preseason and that last game against Minny in the regular season, I thought he looked pretty good. He's at least earned the right to be given ample play time to see if he can make the roster. And I believe he will.

Emanuel Hall though...while I don't expect much from him this coming season...this is a guy that needs to stick to the roster and if coached well could be something. Good size and really good speed. Has all the things you can't teach....and lacks in areas you can.

Hopefully if he doesn't make the cut he's a guy that they can retain on the practice squad.

It's really nice to be this deep at receiver.
Ever since Emanuel's sports hernia surgery, I've suspected that the Bears are going to redshirt him this year on IR, then see what our receiving corps looks like in '20 and have him battle for a roster spot. All conjecture of course. Would hate to lose the kid tho, there's some raw talent to utilize.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his limited play last year, in both preseason and that last game against Minny in the regular season, I thought he looked pretty good. He's at least earned the right to be given ample play time to see if he can make the roster. And I believe he will.

I don't put a lot of stock in preseason. The book on him coming out of college was his inability to create separation. He's a one speed receiver....that typically doesn't change at the fastest level. He has some really good jump ball skills.

But I'm definitely interested to see him this preseason and see if he does have a role.

Ever since Emanuel's sports hernia surgery, I've suspected that the Bears are going to redshirt him this year on IR, then see what our receiving corps looks like in '20 and have him battle for a roster spot. All conjecture of course. Would hate to lose the kid tho, there's some raw talent to utilize.

I'd be totally fine with that.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't put a lot of stock in preseason. The book on him coming out of college was his inability to create separation. He's a one speed receiver....that typically doesn't change at the fastest level. He has some really good jump ball skills.

But I'm definitely interested to see him this preseason and see if he does have a role.

I'd be totally fine with that.

Sounds an awful lot like Alshon Jeffrey's combine report.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffery though had his route running skill as a strength on a lot of scouting reports....where for Wims you see it as a weakness when you look it up.

The size, speed, ball skills, and so on are similar though.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There goes that idea Wims could be a #1.

What happens is, Wims can't get separation so when the ball is up and Wims wins the 50/50 it looks like a great catch and fans are impressed. That's when hyperboles like "Wims could a #1" starts. Without realizing it all started because Wims wasn't very good from the beginning.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeffrey was a slow, long-strider coming out of college that had good hands and could body-up for jump balls. Route-running was not a strength on most reports.

Brandon Marshall helped him with his route running a lot.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's yet another take on the projected 53 man roster, this one courtesy of Windy City Gridiron:

Camp Week: Predicting the Chicago Bears final 53-man roster - Windy City Gridiron

On the O side of the ball, everything seems to make sense, including my wish for 7 WRs making the cut, except the writer has Bradley Sowell in limboland and I'm not sure it's intentional. He doesn't have him listed as one of the TEs, but also doesn't have him as one of the OL, even tho he's referenced a possible OL/TE swingman. Hey, either he's on the roster or he's not, and if he is, then one of those names on the two areas needs to be taken off. My take remains constant - he'll make the roster, period.

On the D side of the ball, we again see Kylie Fitts not making the squad, with Chuck Harris taking his place. Not 100% sure of this. I wasn't all that impressed with Fitts last year and thought he was the weakest of that great '18 draft class. But he does bring a now-veteran presence, so that should be taken into consideration. Maybe it boils down to who performs better on STs.

This roster prediction has the Bears holding onto Denmark, but keeping him as a CB instead of a S. This may be a moot point as I'm sure the Bears, assuming they do keep him on the roster, will likely give him some practice and playing time at both positions. Of course the bottom line will be that he must handle STs, because that's where he'll see the lion's share of playing time.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now we have ESPN's projected roster:

Bears' 53-man roster projection includes six wide receivers

One mild surprise here is they think Nall will beat out Whyte. Wish we could find a way to keep both, but there are only so many spots on the roster, so someone's gotta go I suppose.

Finally a predicted roster that has us keeping Fitts, but also has Denmark cut. Things that make you go hmmmm.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now we have ESPN's projected roster:

Bears' 53-man roster projection includes six wide receivers

One mild surprise here is they think Nall will beat out Whyte. Wish we could find a way to keep both, but there are only so many spots on the roster, so someone's gotta go I suppose.

Finally a predicted roster that has us keeping Fitts, but also has Denmark cut. Things that make you go hmmmm.

I thought I saw something where Nall would be listed as a fullback, in order to keep room for Whyte.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I saw something where Nall would be listed as a fullback, in order to keep room for Whyte.
Well we know that Nall put on weight and altho it was never officially mentioned why, I thought it was because Nall felt he didn't have much of a chance of making the roster as one of the RBs, so why not try to slip in as a FB. But for both he & Whyte to make the team together, something's gotta give elsewhere.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the latest - check out the name for the nose tackle position. :heh:

Bears 53-man roster projection entering 3rd preseason game

This version is about as close as I think I'd come if predicting the roster, with one exception. This version has both Whyte and Nall not making the cut, leaving the Bears with only 3 RBs. I'm guessing that's due to having us carry 7 WRs. Aside from this, maybe a couple of bubble spots TBD, but that's about it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest from Lester Wilfong of WCG. What I like about this one is he also includes the practice squad and even injured reserve. It's a good list.

Chicago Bears 53-man roster prediction - Windy City Gridiron

I think the last toggling issue here is what the final numbers for RB/WR/TE will be. Here he has 5/6/4, respectively.