• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just Mercy. First off, at 2:16 it was way too long.. at least a half hour too long, larded with unnecessary scenes that advanced nothing and I assume were supposed to add to the emotional weight of the story. They didn't and I actually started to FF through them towards the end.

Jamie Foxx's performance as the unjustly convicted death row inmate was excellent as were the performances of a couple of other death row inmates, as well as the convict whose false testimony convicted Foxx's character. The rest.. not so much.. or the dialog.. or the direction. It all had the overall look and feel of a TV movie.. and a very average one at that. Too bad.. it's based upon a true and very compelling story that could have made for a very compelling moive. This wasn't it, though. 5/10

Perfectly said. I love lawyer/court movies and got invested in this at the start, but I was falling asleep through the movie. "At least a half hour too long" is a perfect way to summarize this film.

Acting all in all was very good, but poor direction/production.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let's see:

Neverending Story: Re-watched this movie early this morning. Still holds up, good overall film. See my post about banging the giant tit statues on this same site!
Just Mercy: Going to echo the same thoughts as @Wazmankg . Started out great, but I was falling asleep after an hour+ in.
Abominable: Never gets old. Lance is great and I just realized today the main actor (Preston) is the dad from the Hand that Rocks the Cradle. Fairly whatever movie, but Rebecca DeMornay is fine as hell and the fact that guy got to see her through a wet gown, god damn.
Legends of the Fall: Some pretty emotional scenes in this movie. Easy to see why Brad Pitt got his Hollywood stardom from this.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally watched 1917 on Sunday night.

Wow. That was a cinematic masterpiece.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally watched 1917 on Sunday night.

Wow. That was a cinematic masterpiece.
For me, it wasn’t what I expected but still really enjoyed it. Though I don’t think it has a lot of rewatch value.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it wasn’t what I expected but still really enjoyed it. Though I don’t think it has a lot of rewatch value.

I want to see it again just to try and figure out where the “splits” in the “One Camera” filming occur. That was fascinating to me.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joker. Well done. Phoenix was terrific, maybe too good for enjoyable viewing. The subject matter about a troubled guy's descent into madness was not easy viewing and might be tough to take, especially for anyone who's been close to someone with mental health issues. My wife couldn't take it. 8/10.. not for everyone, though.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
X2 is on Disney plus. Aged a lot better than I thought. Probably the best X-Men movie.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
X2 is on Disney plus. Aged a lot better than I thought. Probably the best X-Men movie.
Either that or First Class would be my picks, with Days of Future Past and the original as the next two.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joker. Well done. Phoenix was terrific, maybe too good for enjoyable viewing. The subject matter about a troubled guy's descent into madness was not easy viewing and might be tough to take, especially for anyone who's been close to someone with mental health issues. My wife couldn't take it. 8/10.. not for everyone, though.

Man I thought Joker was TERRIBLY overrated.

It was an interesting take on the character of Joker, but just kind of 'whatever'. Psycho/sociopath characters have been done MANY times before this and IMO done better, and it doesn't even fit the Joker from the comics, so what was the point? Feels like they just slapped Joker on a movie about some guy going clinically insane to cash in.

Everyone raves about Phoenix but IMO Nicholson/Ledger will always be more captivating. I started to nod off a few times with Joker.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rocky 2. Very good movie. Better than Rocky 1.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched “Rocket Man”. The Elton John musical. I’m a sucker for musicals. And I really liked this. Taron Egerton killed it. Sang everything himself and he was damn good. A solid story about Eltons life. One of the better shows I’ve seen in a long time.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched an interesting movie last night -

Fires on the Plain (1959)

It's a Japanese movie about a group of soldiers near the end of WWII that are "stuck" without enough rations/supplies for everyone. In the opening scene, a commanding officer is chewing out someone who was sent to the hospital and returned. The CO "explains" to him that they can't accommodate soldiers who are too sick to work - tells him to go back to the hospital and sit in the waiting room until they take him back. If they refuse, he suggests to the solider he put his grenade to good use and kill himself. Most of the rest of the movie centers on the issue of whether people will become desperate enough to resort to cannibalism.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I thought Joker was TERRIBLY overrated.

It was an interesting take on the character of Joker, but just kind of 'whatever'. Psycho/sociopath characters have been done MANY times before this and IMO done better, and it doesn't even fit the Joker from the comics, so what was the point? Feels like they just slapped Joker on a movie about some guy going clinically insane to cash in.

Everyone raves about Phoenix but IMO Nicholson/Ledger will always be more captivating. I started to nod off a few times with Joker.
Stumbled across this and thought it was kinda cool.
embed-5dc5a202ea192.jpg

The mirror makes Batman's face. I kinda agree with yer sentiment. While Phoenix was great, the film was a one-time watch for me.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stumbled across this and thought it was kinda cool.
embed-5dc5a202ea192.jpg

The mirror makes Batman's face. I kinda agree with yer sentiment. While Phoenix was great, the film was a one-time watch for me.
??

you mean in profile? I kinda see a face in profile, but really only if I squint. And what makes you think it is Batman’s face?

Maybe I don’t see what you are referring to...

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??

you mean in profile? I kinda see a face in profile, but really only if I squint. And what makes you think it is Batman’s face?

Maybe I don’t see what you are referring to...

Probably coincidence, but there are actually articles on this.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you sharpen everything with an outline, well... OK. But I worry that something will get strained with that kind of reach. At least the profile actually looks like an animated profile face used in the Batman cartoons.

I don’t buy it. I think people are seeing things that they want to see so they can act like they get it more than the next guy.