• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poopstarter, the documentary about a startup company using crowd sourced funding to launch a new laxative. I thought it was a piece of crap.

This deserves :pound:and:L

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was told I had to watch it. It's f'n hilarious. One of the best comedies ever. And it sucked.
I could not make it through the dueling toasts between Wiig and the grooms sister. That’s where I turned it off.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jersey Girl (blame the wife).

The kid was cute. The movie was meh to blah.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Alien again last night. It had been awhile. It's still great, but I'd forgotten that it was over halfway through the movie before we or they had any idea what they were in for. I doubt something with that sort of slow build would even be released today... not as mass market fare anyway.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Alien again last night. It had been awhile. It's still great, but I'd forgotten that it was over halfway through the movie before we or they had any idea what they were in for. I doubt something with that sort of slow build would even be released today... not as mass market fare anyway.

Eh there's still a few movies (mostly drama) tailored to adults, but I haven't seen a great horror movie in YEARS. Everything now is jump scares (lame as fuck, I LOATHE these movies) with a PG-13 slapped on it. Carpenter's 'The Thing' is dead. Sad. The horror genre to me is pathetic these days. I thought Crawl did a decent job, up until the 2nd half where the crocs turned into video game monsters...

Oh and "Quiet Place" was possibly the stupidest 'horror creature feature' of all time.

Arachnophobia, Tremors, The Thing = best horror films of all time. 2/3 also earned the tag as 'comedy'. These movies are dead thanks to a bunch of stupid ass critics and "I want it now!" teens. Practical/Real effects, great character development/storytelling, ZERO CGI. It's done... horror movies, I don't even bother anymore. OMG a scary doll! Or Hereditary which IMO was the most overrated piece of trash ever. Fuck off.

To your point, all 3 of the movies I mentioned was a slow build.... but now let's just slap some titties on the screen with jump scares, and that's horror... :L

Last edited:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw 1917, it was an okay movie.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recently watched two movies based on historical events, both coincidentally involving Canada.

The Raid (1954) is based on the St. Albans Raid, which took place during the Civil War.
St. Albans Raid - Wikipedia
This movie was entertaining, but that was in large part due to embellishments or outright fabrications. In particular, the romantic interest between the two leads that kind of glues the whole movie together apparently never really happened.

The Iron Curtain (1948) is based on Soviet spying taking place in Canada during and shortly after WWII. It's told through the perspective of one of the spies, Igor Gouzenko.
Igor Gouzenko - Wikipedia
This movie moves slower compared to the one above, due to relatively limited embellishment. The story itself is quite fascinating - Soviet spies in Canada, trying to obtain information on, in particular, atomic weapon technology.
While realistic for the most part, it has the same trait of pretty much all movies of this type/era: the "Democracy" characters are portrayed as pillars of virtue, with the "Communist" characters closer to borderline pure evil. (arguably anti-Communist propaganda)

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midway (2019)

As far as historically accurate war movies go, you'll be hard pressed to find many that are better made than this one. Especially one that packs as much material into it as this one did & is portrayed in a completely non-fictional manner, as opposed to those that are "based on true events" like Pearl Harbor (2001) and others that have the cheesy love stories or that push political agendas. This film is rich with historical plotlines and has a helluva cast. Highly recommend it. It packs a shit ton of material into this film in a elegant & concise manner. I'm sure people will sneer at the hollywood flair elements, contained mainly within the script dialogue, but nevertheless this is a very poorly understood event in WWII history that more people need exposure to. If you're looking for a crash course in the battle of the Pacific during WWII, this is the right movie for the job.

I think my only gripe with the film is that I would have liked to see it be Rated R so that it was more akin to Saving Private Ryan (1998). But it did a fairly good job of portraying the brutality of war in a PG manner. Guess that's a good thing for younger audiences, even though I doubt they will be interested in watching it in the first place. Maybe this was their way of promoting parents to force this material on their children lol.

Great war movie, and historically accurate... 9/10

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gemini Man - fucking hot garbage. 1/10 - I might be grading too harshly, but this is a terrible movie that I didn't find any real redeeming qualities in it through the first and only viewing I will have.

Jexi - some funny parts. Good message, silly execution. 4/10

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad boys for life.

8/10. Well worth time and 2?.?? Spent. Splurged on those moveable vibrating chairs. Those are how action movies should be seen.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alien Covenant

worst Alien movie ever. Boring as shit. 1 Star

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I watched....

Terminator Dark Fate - Better than I thought it was going to be, so there's that. However, it is still a time travel movie and the way the story plays out it doesn't make too much sense. This is different than the other terminator movies (T1 and T2) in that the terminator was sent back and had no way of returning to his/its time and we never knew how it all affected the future. In this movie it attempts to tell us how the actions of the previous terminator movies altered the future and changed things entirely so much so that... spoiler (not putting in spoiler quotes since this has been out forever)......... that Skynet never existed. Hopefully that is enough information for you to already see how this movie is going to be completely inconsistent. I will say that the facial transfer graphics or making them look young for a scene in the beginning was fantastic. There was a moment where John Connor didn't look that good, but all in all that scene was bad ass. Arnold looked like John Matrix which I though was cool. Arnold fans will know what I am talking about. Back to the movie, I also got this vibe that was flirting too closely with this womens empowerment stuff. Not that it is a bad thing, but that I think they go too far sometimes. All of the protagonists are women and all of the bad guys are men. For the most part this works, but I can't help but notice this AND coupling it with the fact that the protector ONLY steals clothes from men even though there are women in every scene in which she takes their clothes. Again, it really isn't that big of a deal and some people I know didn't even notice that. There is also this border patrol being bad or uncaring notion which isn't over the top in my opinion. All in all, it was ok, but it tried to do too much. When it comes to politics or hot button topics in politics in the movies, it isn't that bad, at least not like in comparison to Captain Marvels ridiculousnes, which is smart. Get in say and do what you want within reason of the movie, but don't make it so center that it takes away from the characters/story/moment/etc...

If I were to classify T2 as a 10/10 (not saying I would, though I might lol, but hypothetically) then this would be a 6/10. I think I would probably say that it is better than T3.

All in all, I give this a 4.5-5 out of 10.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lion King Live action version - The Lion King holds a special place in my heart from when I was a child. It is the first movie I remember seeing in theaters as well. Now again, if the original was a 10/10, then this would be a 6/10. The graphics are fantastic. It follows like 80-90% of the original if I were to guess, which is nice, but it really made me appreciate voice actors. They brought Jones back as Musfasa which was great, but I also felt that if you were going to do that then Scar, Timon and Pumba needed to be the same as well. Simba and Nalas original voices don't matter as much in my opinion because they changed throughout the movie as the cubs got older. As for Simbas mom and Zazu, they aren't front and center enough for their original voices to matter. So again, I would have liked for Scar, Timon, and Pumba to have had the same voices as well. I might even throw Whoopie Goldbergs voice in there too, albeit, the hyenas aren't that big of a deal to me.

Personally, I wish they stuck true to the original even though I understand that new days needs a new flair type of nonsense. I just don't entirely agree with that notion. However they COMPLETELEY fucked up the Hakuna Matata and Be Prepared songs in my opinion.

All in all 6/10.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zombieland 2 - Not much to this. It wasn't bad, it wasn't as good as the first. Made it feel like it could turn into its own series of movies which would be interesting, but ultimately unnecessary. I really thought a sequel for this movie would have been really cool... after seeing it, I don't really care any more.

6/10.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zombieland 2 - Not much to this. It wasn't bad, it wasn't as good as the first. Made it feel like it could turn into its own series of movies which would be interesting, but ultimately unnecessary. I really thought a sequel for this movie would have been really cool... after seeing it, I don't really care any more.

6/10.
I have it on my queue of things to watch but I just feel like this was a movie that would've been better received if it came out 5-7 years ago. After a decade in between movies, I don't really think that the people were clamoring for it anymore.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ad Astra (2019)

Grueling movie that wasn't worth the payoff. I do not understand the good ratings for this movie. The father-son drama they strung together from a sequence of plotlines just didn't really land for me. Overall it was a somber experience. About the only part I thought was enthralling was the pirating sequence on the Moon. Before & after that it was amazingly dull.

4/10

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

6/10.

Yeah entertaining but nothing special.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ad Astra (2019)

Grueling movie that wasn't worth the payoff. I do not understand the good ratings for this movie. The father-son drama they strung together from a sequence of plotlines just didn't really land for me. Overall it was a somber experience. About the only part I thought was enthralling was the pirating sequence on the Moon. Before & after that it was amazingly dull.

4/10

My wife wants to watch this and I have been pushing it off for months now...glad I did. Not watching this pile of shit :trash:I knew I was right lol. Thanks for the review