• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not really nuanced at all. First world nations have negative birth rates. Their economic systems are based on growth.

That's it. That's all. Immigration is here to stay, and will get MORE, not less.
That's why everyone is freaking out. Most people want a simple life. First world nations cant be simple anymore.

That is the one truth in politics. Immigration is the only path forward which shows that America is a place and not a people.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, a point of fact.

Applying for asylum at a border ISN'T illegal.
It is if they traveled through a separate untreated to do it. They should have asked for asylum in Mexico. Bypassing Mexico makes them economic refugees, not fleeing oppressed people.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why everyone is freaking out. Most people want a simple life. First world nations cant be simple anymore.

That is the one truth in politics. Immigration is the only path forward which shows that America is a place and not a people.

I think the reason people are freaking out is because they've been sold a bill of goods. Immigrants ADD to the economy. They are a net BENEFIT to yours and my ability to have an ever-shrinking pool of better jobs.

If immigrants are such a drain, why do businesses keep hiring them? Why do states like Texas tilt the system to make sure they have the largest pool of 'illegal' immigrants they can?

One just has to look at the math. The US created some of the world's richest human beings in the days of the robber barons, and that was with a marginal tax rate around 90%.

What's the rate at now? Down below 30%?

Hmmmm...

This is the first couple of generations in North America where the next generation doesn't have the expectation of being better off than their parents.

People are scared, and they have an absolute right to be scared. I know I am. I worry about what my 70's will hold in a world where there's no loyalty to valuable employees. And I've kept my nose clean and achieved.

But people have been told to look below them for the reason they're scared.

They're looking in the wrong direction.

Anyway, enough of my horrible thread hijack!

:)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is if they traveled through a separate untreated to do it. They should have asked for asylum in Mexico. Bypassing Mexico makes them economic refugees, not fleeing oppressed people.

That's not correct. There are processes in place to ask for asylum from a border AT the United States. That's been true for a very long time.

Just because the lie has been repeated over and over again, doesn't mean it's correct.

The MS. St. Louis didn't put in port in Mexico to ask for asylum for 900 German Jews in the United States. They didn't put into port in the US to ask for asylum in Canada.

When central American refugees walk across the border into Canada to ask for asylum near Winnipeg and Montreal, they aren't warehoused in the US while they wait for the claims to be processed (even though they walked in from the US). They're housed and processed in Canada, at Canadian expense.

The same kind of misinformation floats around up here about how they're 'illegals.'

They're not illegal, they're asylum seekers. They may or may not be successful, and may end up deported. But they aren't 'illegal.'

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched Blindspotting. I enjoyed it. I never heard of any of the main actors and they did a good job. Great use of color, and an interesting use of language to convey messages. Some of the movie uses rapping to move the story along, but it works due to how it is built throughout the movie. Strong and believable friendship/brotherhood.

8/10.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reason people are freaking out is because they've been sold a bill of goods. Immigrants ADD to the economy. They are a net BENEFIT to yours and my ability to have an ever-shrinking pool of better jobs.

If immigrants are such a drain, why do businesses keep hiring them? Why do states like Texas tilt the system to make sure they have the largest pool of 'illegal' immigrants they can?

One just has to look at the math. The US created some of the world's richest human beings in the days of the robber barons, and that was with a marginal tax rate around 90%.

What's the rate at now? Down below 30%?

Hmmmm...

This is the first couple of generations in North America where the next generation doesn't have the expectation of being better off than their parents.

People are scared, and they have an absolute right to be scared. I know I am. I worry about what my 70's will hold in a world where there's no loyalty to valuable employees. And I've kept my nose clean and achieved.

But people have been told to look below them for the reason they're scared.

They're looking in the wrong direction.

Anyway, enough of my horrible thread hijack!

:)
People were scared of immigrants long before the robber barrons. People also are mad as hell at elites so I'm not sure the narrative is as clean as you suggest.

Regardless, immigration is America because Millennials gave up. It's kinda sad but also justified.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People were scared of immigrants long before the robber barrons.

Sure, I didn't want to write a thesis, or want you to read one. This isn't new under the sun at all, I agree wholeheartedly. These 'other' tropes have been floating around since one tribe sat around a campfire peering out into the ring of eyes in the darkness, worrying about what that other campsite 3 klicks over is up to.

This isn't particular to America. Hell, I'VE been the 'other' as a kid in Australia because I didn't have a school uniform right away.

I'm trying to get the network I work for to do a special on the same damn tropes up here in Canada. Not having much success yet.

Europe is seeing the rise of it too right now. There's neo-nazi elected members in over a dozen European parliaments right now.

People EVERYWHERE are scared, and it's always easiest to look outwards for someone to blame.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Role Models

I thought it was going to be a stupid, funny movie, but it was actually pretty good.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona - 2 out of 5 stars. If you like Danny McBride and/or dark comedies, you'll probably enjoy this one. A few cameos that are pretty funny but nothing worth going out of your way to watch.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been watching most older movies lately. Last night was Blood on the Sun (1945).

James Cagney plays a newspaper reporter based in Tokyo who discovers news of a secret Japanese plan to invade/conquer both China and the USA. Basically the entire movie revolves around Cagney trying to get important documents out of the country with the Japanese trying to stop him. Robert Armstrong, best known as Carl Denham in King Kong, is at times amusing in a secondary role as a Japanese Colonel.

This is probably the best picture quality of the movies I've watched from here:

Free Classic Movies - The Largest Privately Owned Web Site In The World

BearDownUA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paths of Glory by Stanley Kubrick

Probably my favorite Kubrick film next to the Shining. Was my first time seeing it. The tracking shots are amazing, as is the cinematography of the last ten minutes. Kirk Douglas is amazing in this role

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay.

If the Will Smith movie had this script then it would've been just as popular as Deadpool. Hell to Pay has an interesting Macguffin and interesting characters chasing after the Macguffin for logical reasons. Unfortunately, the animation in this movie is not my style and Christian Slater in animated form is just not nearly as interesting as someone like Will Smith. Harley Quinn also feels a bit tacked on but the movies does what it aims to do and the threat of violence actually does do a decent job of keeping your attention.

B+

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Performance: 4/5 stars. 1970 psychedelic film with James Fox opposite Mick Jagger. Really good movie; one more to be viewed than analyzed. James Fox looked like Ben Mendelsohn or a young Christian Bale whilst portraying a London gangster. He was pretty entertaining, as was Mick Jagger. This was my first time seeing Mick on screen. I think that he could have had a very successful film career if he wanted to (much like I think David Bowie could have been an amazing leading man if he wanted to). I guess they both preferred making music though (they were pretty good at that too).

Cloud Atlas: 4/5 stars. Great movie. Tom Hanks may have given the performance of his entire career in this one. Man he is such a great actor. Halle Berry really stood out and was great in it as well.

WTF was with the vehement criticism coming from a ~small yet very vocal sect of the critical response. The movie was “confusing?” Confusing? Are you fucking kidding me? Donnie Darko was fucking confusing. Solaris (3/5 stars) was fucking confusing. This shit was not in the slightest bit confusing! It’s like film criticism is run by mentally retarded people these days who can’t be tasked to appreciate anything beyond “Boom, action, superhero, exciting, good.”

God forbid anyone makes these idiots aware of the existence of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (2.5/5 stars) or Brazil (4/5 stars).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for Bothering You

WOW. That was one FUCKED UP movie. I really don’t even know what to think of it. I went in with almost no expectations, other than I vaguely remember it coming out and getting good reviews. It is hard to say anything about it without spoiling it, so I will stop here.

I will need to let it digest more before I can rate it.

Trundle The Great

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit
Hoopla Cash
$ 510.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mr. Right

Sam Rockwell, Anna Kendrick

Just a quirky, funny, off-the-wall movie about a Hit-man with a heart of gold. Highly recommended.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paths of Glory by Stanley Kubrick

Probably my favorite Kubrick film next to the Shining. Was my first time seeing it. The tracking shots are amazing, as is the cinematography of the last ten minutes. Kirk Douglas is amazing in this role
Funny, outside of Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1/5 stars), Paths of Glory (1.5/5 stars) is the only Kubrick film I can say is genuinely bad (though I did give 2001: A Space Odyssey (2/5 stars), The Shining (2.5/5 stars), and The Killing (2.5/5 stars) all negative reviews, I do not think they were wholly bad films, and found elements and certain parts and aspects of all three films to be amazingly well done. Overall, I didn't think they were good movies (thus the negative review), but none were egregiously bad).

I agree Kirk was very good, and the scene with the general looking through binoculars at his squadron afraid to advance, and then bombing them from the safety of his bunker was awesome. Kirk Douglas advancing and running out by his lonesome with a pistol against an army firing at him was awesome. I guess my biggest complaint (and I haven't seen the movie in a couple of years) is that after the battle scenes (which like I said were great), the politicking of the generals and their corruptness really is not very interesting at all. Even though the film is less than an hour and a half; the drawn out shit with the corrupt army officials made it drag out almost seemingly endlessly.

The "moral idealist" vs. "immoral realist" theme that ran throughout the movie was delivered about as subtly as being hit over the head with a hammer ten times.

I know this movie is obviously beloved by critics and the public alike, so I recognize that I'm in the vast minority.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Man (2018)

A great portrayal of what it's like to be an astronaut, especially how their families are impacted. One day your families are together, and your sharing a beer with you fellow astronaut, then a few days later, he's dead. Good intensity of the flight scenes and explaining what they're doing to the viewer. I love period pieces and movies based on historical events. I didn't see any weak points.

A

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for Bothering You

WOW. That was one FUCKED UP movie. I really don’t even know what to think of it. I went in with almost no expectations, other than I vaguely remember it coming out and getting good reviews. It is hard to say anything about it without spoiling it, so I will stop here.

I will need to let it digest more before I can rate it.

I loved it.

What a great movie to go into blind.

The trailers were for like first 15 minutes.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christmas in Garland.

Candice Cameron is pretty hot. Brian Doyle-Murray does a nice job as a sneaky Santa.