• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I'd say I was anything close to happy after the movie. Movies like this remind me of how exposed we are in life and not to take things for granted, not to live in fear, not to always anticipate certainties, etc.
Not trying to come off as a douche, but all these things make me very happy. I'm happy that I'm not infallible; that I'm vulnerable. I'm especially happy that high and mighty douchebags in my life are ultimately vulnerable. I'm happy when I don't take things for granted; when I realized how lucky, blessed, whatever I am. I'm happy if I'm able to not live in fear. And I certainly don't want anything to be a certainty in life, so I'm happy there isn't anything that is.

As chf once famously said: "YRMV"
Its bleak but in the same ballpark as Synecdoche, New York and The Road.
Haven't seen any of these.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replace coke with the upper of your choice.
If there's something wittier to this than meets the eye, swoosh, right over my head

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Country got a rough ride around here forintsance.
I originally disliked it quite a bit, but I gave it a second viewing this past April and came away giving it 3/5 stars.

My father, for instance, watched it with me at my apartment and gave it 4.5/5 stars.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being "SURPRISED" at the high marks/good reviews a movie gets usually means you didn't think it was deserving of those good reviews (thus the surprise). If, instead, you meant that you were surprised at the fact that others liked it because it was bleak (in your opinion), then I see I misunderstood what you meant.

I guess the clinching remark for me was

but it is certainly possible to like a depressing movie, as you mentioned.

If it were me, I'd have wanted to have some moments to let the audience recover a bit between punches in the kidneys.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I originally disliked it quite a bit, but I gave it a second viewing this past April and came away giving it 3/5 stars.

My father, for instance, watched it with me at my apartment and gave it 4.5/5 stars.

I was disturbed by the ending on the first watch, it took me a couple of days of thinking about 'why'd they do that?' to figure out that I thought it was brilliant.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As chf once famously said: "YRMV"

You read it here first you bunch of fuckers, I'm FAMOUS!!!!

<walks off muttering about why it took so many decades to achieve his immortality>

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overlord (2018)

-about 30 minutes too long, like seriously cut some of the fucking house scenes, felt like half the gd movie
-felt very well produced
-was niether an excellent WWII or Zombie/Monster movie
-Mary Sue aunt who can masterfully aim and work machine guns with no prior knowledge. Ok.

Verdict: can wait until netflix to see. I have a feeling I'll appreciate this a bit more in 10-15 years but for now it felt bloated with a few too many tropes

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You read it here first you bunch of fuckers, I'm FAMOUS!!!!

<walks off muttering about why it took so many decades to achieve his immortality>
You know it’s gotta be true when you read it on the hoop...

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I LOVED that book (movie was...okay), but it was tough slogging, ESPECIALLY if you have kids. I had to take breaks while reading it.

And to Omar - I don't have to be 'happy' to like something. I love 'No Country,' which also has a bleak fucking ending, but what I said was, I'm SURPRISED by the high marks for it. (Scruggs)

No Country got a rough ride around here forintsance.

The Road is a rough book (and movie) to get through. The scene at the house freaked the bejessus out of me!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Road is a rough book (and movie) to get through. The scene at the house freaked the bejessus out of me!

It's a VERY ironic book today, given what's happening with millions of refugees around the world. Essentially powerless, trying to save their kids from horrible fates, crossing their fingers that there will be some safe haven elsewhere.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched Kin. It has cool graphics, but practically no story... or two WEAK ASS stories. One with each brother and they don't mesh at all. Without a sequel (which it did set up)... this movie means absolutely nothing.

As a whole: 5/10 and I honestly feel pretty generous here.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
??????????????

You would only need coke to watch that movie if you were a coke addict. And need coke no matter what you’re doing. Like watching a movie.

Are you a cocaine addict?
I just like the way it smells.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a VERY ironic book today, given what's happening with millions of refugees around the world. Essentially powerless, trying to save their kids from horrible fates, crossing their fingers that there will be some safe haven elsewhere.
I agree that the children’s situations are certainly very sad. It’s certainly a “Think of the Children!” situation when people talk about immigration, but there is some fucked up shit happening with the “children.”

Immigration is a very nuanced topic to implement, and trying to boil it down to emotional pleas is still overall a bad idea.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Santa Chronicles on Netflix. Fun movie to watch with family. Santa aint your normal Santa but gets the job done, year after year. Kurt Russel as Santa is a hoot.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the children’s situations are certainly very sad. It’s certainly a “Think of the Children!” situation when people talk about immigration, but there is some fucked up shit happening with the “children.”

Immigration is a very nuanced topic to implement, and trying to boil it down to emotional pleas is still overall a bad idea.

It's not really nuanced at all. First world nations have negative birth rates. Their economic systems are based on growth.

That's it. That's all. Immigration is here to stay, and will get MORE, not less.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not really nuanced at all. First world nations have negative birth rates. Their economic systems are based on growth.

That's it. That's all. Immigration is here to stay, and will get MORE, not less.
I think we all agree LEGAL immigration is good and needed. But having a porous border needs to stop. And IMHO, if someone crosses the border without going through the proper channels, whatever happens to them, happens to them (trafficking and those types of situations are clearly an exception). You don’t like your old country? Get in line. You are persecuted? Ask for asylum the legal way. Storm our border? We will pay for your funeral.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You’re now arguing a reason why immigration WILL continue at a growing rate. I agree with you.

Now, if you want to argue whether immigration SHOULD or SHOULD NOT take place, like I brought up in my post, that’s a different argument.

Given our backgrounds, I don’t think we’d even disagree a ton on whether it should happen. But I was pointing out that at the end of the day, emotional pleas/arguments will only hurt the argument for immigrants- legal or illegal, not help it.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re now arguing a reason why immigration WILL continue at a growing rate. I agree with you.

Now, if you want to argue whether immigration SHOULD or SHOULD NOT take place, like I brought up in my post, that’s a different argument.

Given our backgrounds, I don’t think we’d even disagree a ton on whether it should happen. But I was pointing out that at the end of the day, emotional pleas/arguments will only hurt the argument for immigrants- legal or illegal, not help it.

I just gave you the unemotional real world argument... The ONLY way to even HAVE a discussion, is to have it on an emotional basis. (pro or con)

Because the simple real world argument is just mathematics.

You'll notice there wasn't a lot of math in 'The Road.'

There WAS a lot of emotion.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all agree LEGAL immigration is good and needed. But having a porous border needs to stop. And IMHO, if someone crosses the border without going through the proper channels, whatever happens to them, happens to them (trafficking and those types of situations are clearly an exception). You don’t like your old country? Get in line. You are persecuted? Ask for asylum the legal way. Storm our border? We will pay for your funeral.

I've been a legal immigrant in a southern border state (or at least my wife and kid were). The whole system is set up to MAKE people be illegal.

There's plenty of great documentaries as to why this is.

If you want people to choose legal immigration, then let them have a way to do it.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, a point of fact.

Applying for asylum at a border ISN'T illegal.