• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Last Movie You Watched (no spoilers)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually want to see this

It’s a really good movie.

Perfect for if you have a woman of some sort.

Act like you’re going to the love story movie for her. Look like a hero. When in reality most men will think it’s great as well.

The perfect con. Then you get a free Saturday to crush sports.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a really good movie.

Perfect for if you have a woman of some sort.

Act like you’re going to the love story movie for her. Look like a hero. When in reality most men will think it’s great as well.

The perfect con. Then you get a free Saturday to crush sports.

I like my way better, don't have to con, still get to watch as much sports as I wish.

But I'll likely rent that movie.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cable had the original "Rear Window" (with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly) which I hadn't seen in years.

What a f**ing great film.
From early 2017

Rear Window: 1.5/5 stars. So-so performance from an otherwise superb actor in James Stewart. Did not have me on the edge of my seat at any point throughout the film, like many critics have commented. At least for one thing, the movie confirmed my suspicions of marriage: it is a terrible thing that should happen to no one. Wife constantly nagging, kids getting in the way; no thanks. Why anyone would consent to such a thing is beyond my imagination.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just invalidated everything you ever done or written in this forum.. :gaah:
Weirdly enough, my father, who has similar tastes in film, gave it something like 1.5/5 stars as well. I can't remember if it was 1/5 stars or 1.5/5 stars, but regardless, that movie is a classic that is loved by all, and we both watched it independently a year and a half apart, and we both hated it. And we both love Hitchcock. How fucking weird is that?

Anytime I show somebody my Excel spreadsheet with all my movie ratings, that is invariably the movie they comment on (right after The Godfather: 2/5 stars).
I can't speak to the marriage phobia.. ;)
Gay? Because homosexuals have perfect relationships. I almost wish I was gay just to be able to be happily married.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weirdly enough, my father, who has similar tastes in film, gave it something like 1.5/5 stars as well. I can't remember if it was 1/5 stars or 1.5/5 stars, but regardless, that movie is a classic that is loved by all, and we both watched it independently a year and a half apart, and we both hated it. And we both love Hitchcock. How fucking weird is that?

Yeah it is weird. Definitely from a different time (before air conditioners) but it still speaks to the basic idea that people all live their lives in different ways with different stories. Not always smooth as silk and without challenges and difficulties but relatively normal just trying to get by. Definitely a standard cross-section of american life.

Well except for that salesman fellow with the invalid wife who had his troubles but seems as normal as anyone else well until you know..

If it wasn't for the fact that Jimmy Stewart was bored and nosy and stuck in a wheel char he probably would have gotten away with it without anyone ever knowing.

Just great!

So why the hate??

Anytime I show somebody my Excel spreadsheet with all my movie ratings, that is invariably the movie they comment on (right after The Godfather: 2/5 stars).

Yes I remember that. Yep once is a coincidence, twice is a trend! :D

Gay? Because homosexuals have perfect relationships. I almost wish I was gay just to be able to be happily married.

I honestly don't know on that. LOL. I'm sure the incidences of gay divorces have increased along with gay marriages.

I do know that people keep getting married and have kids for some crazy reason so the positives must be there even with all the negatives. For all the many ways spouses and kids drive you crazy I can't imagine life without them.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't bury the lede, what does your father say about marriage?

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad Times At The El Royale (2019)

I don't want to give too much away. It might have the spirit of a Tarantino movie, but just not as absurd and weird. Everything seemed to have a purpose. Well-acted, ensemble performance which got better and better as it went along. A nice little story about making choices and redemption. We might see a few Oscar noms from this one.

A-

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad Times At The El Royale (2019)

I don't want to give too much away. It might have the spirit of a Tarantino movie, but just not as absurd and weird. Everything seemed to have a purpose. Well-acted, ensemble performance which got better and better as it went along. A nice little story about making choices and redemption. We might see a few Oscar noms from this one.

A-

Very solid movie

But legit a 0% chance there is an Oscar nom for anyone

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Shape of Water. I really enjoyed it. Aside from the core subject matter, I knew there would be a lot of arty flourishes going in. Very well done.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very solid movie

There's other categories besides individual ones. I'm thinking the black chick has a chance for a Best Supporting Actress nom. They have 5 nominees every year.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Papillon (1973): 3/5 stars. 1973 movie starring Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman, directed by Franklin J. Schaffner (director of Planet of the Apes (1968): 3/5 stars and Patton: 3.5/5 stars).

It was a decent, if not mildly uninteresting film. I would say the ending saved it from a bad review.

Speaking of McQueen, the last movie I saw was a 50th anniversary showing of Bullitt.

Great flick.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very solid movie

Wouldn't surprise me to see something like cinematography or editing. The woman who played the singer could get a BSA not though.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the black chick has a chance for a Best Supporting Actress nom. They have 5 nominees every year.

May be a lock then, because Fin and I don't generally agree on anything. :)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't surprise me to see something like cinematography or editing. The woman who played the singer could get a BSA not though.

Yeah I shouldn’t have worded it like that since I don’t know dick about the smaller categories. But the main ones(picture, acting, directing etc..) it’s got no shot.

That black lady was great. But no way she gets a nom. Too many “Oscar” type roles and movies out there

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw 'The Promise' which plays the dangerous game of mixing romance into a very serious story but manages to do it a lot better than something like Pearl Harbor. Oscar Isaac does a good job of carrying this movie and is way underutilized in Star Wars.

B

Watched IT (2017) and while its a very good remake it still feels dated and redundant compared to Stranger Things. The TV show has the benefit of a longer run time which allows the concept to breathe more. IT just isnt scary enough or deep enough to really have any impact in today's environment.

C+

I managed to catch Justice League (2017) and it was better than I thought. Decent dialogue and even a little humor. All in all it felt a bit like Avengers 2. Unfortunately it suffers from generic a MacGuffin plot line and has a 'Superman Problem' which defeats the whole purpose of having a Justice League in the first place.

C+