• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The genius of the Jamal Adams trade

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just dawned on me today, but how valuable will high draft picks be next year with a limited NCAA season, assuming we have a season at all? Next year's draft could be full of liabilities rather than commodities considering the draft pay scale.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only negative of this aspect is that we generally turn those 1st rd picks into 2 or 3 picks. Next draft class will be hard to evaluate, so having multiple shots at picking impactful players would be more valuable than ever.

Still worth adding a 24 year old 2 time all pro.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who say we overpaid:

Adams was a #6 pick and has proven to be worth more than that original draft position.
If we had offered any team two picks in the #25-30 range for a #6 pick it would be considered underpaying according to draft pick value charts (#6 = 1600 pts, two #25s = 1440 pts, two #30s = 1240). From that perspective, throwing in Mcdougald and swapping a 3rd for a 4th on top of that seems fairly reasonable.
Additionally we get a pick that is a generational talent, has already established himself on the field, and has no significant injury history. The last two are typical risk areas on picks that are no longer part of the equation with Adams.

I also initially thought that this was the end of any chance of resigning Clowney but instead the trade, along with the other releases yesterday, have actually freed up a few million. So we still have about $18 million to try to bolster the DL.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only negative of this aspect is that we generally turn those 1st rd picks into 2 or 3 picks. Next draft class will be hard to evaluate, so having multiple shots at picking impactful players would be more valuable than ever.

Still worth adding a 24 year old 2 time all pro.
will teams be willing to trade up in the draft next year if there is little game tape to evaluate prospects?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
will teams be willing to trade up in the draft next year if there is little game tape to evaluate prospects?

The Jets will use both Seattle's first pick and their own to trade up into the top 5 to replace Sam Darnold who will again see ghosts while the new coach after Gase is fired in 2021 will want his own QB... and then fail to do anything for 5 more years. But yah... the trade was and I quote Douglas (the GM) a "GREAT opportunity" for the franchise. Great opportunity to kick the can down the road for at least a few more years.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets will use both Seattle's first pick and their own to trade up into the top 5 to replace Sam Darnold who will again see ghosts while the new coach after Gase is fired in 2021 will want his own QB... and then fail to do anything for 5 more years. But yah... the trade was and I quote Douglas (the GM) a "GREAT opportunity" for the franchise. Great opportunity to kick the can down the road for at least a few more years.

I don't always agree with you, but you're right. You can't perpetually look 3 or 4 years ahead when you're in the middle of your franchise QB's prime. Now is the time to throw haymakers.

If going all in for Adams and maybe Clowney, if it happens, results in another parade downtown, it's worth it.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying that the 2021 draft will be one of the worst drafts of all time because there will be no college football season. Good luck trying to evaluate prospects with that 1st and 3rd pick when they are 2 years removed from playing football. If everything is back to normal by 2022 then yes that 2022 1st round pick will sting to not have.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all in on this trade. Hopefully JS can find a trade partner and trade down the 2 rounder for 2 or 3 later picks. Overall we are down 2 picks, although 1st rounders in a crap shoot of a draft.
This guy is going to be splendid for us.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it occur to anyone that if we hadnt traded away 1sts and wasted the rest we wouldnt need to make trades like this?
Its possible john and pete arent here in 2 years, which could be why they traded all those picks for a safety.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the knock on our drafting is that we don't do well with 1st rounders, then I have no idea why any of those people who say that wouldn't think this is a complete genius move. You don't have to guess on whether the guy is good, you don't have to wait for it to happen. You just plug him in right away and you have maybe the league's best safety that can play effectively in every level of the defense. Half of the players picked in the 1st round don't pan out, so paying 2 for a proven all pro level guy who is young with 2 inexpensive years remaining on his rookie deal in my opinion is about as good of a use for those picks as it gets. The whole point of the picks is to add good players to your team.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the trade. It's a high risk high reward type deal.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah he plugs right into this defense and is like Kam in the box. I expect our run defense and pass defense to get stronger because of him. Maybe not as good as Kam but close, thing is Adams is better against the pass than Kam so a little give and take.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah he plugs right into this defense and is like Kam in the box. I expect our run defense and pass defense to get stronger because of him. Maybe not as good as Kam but close, thing is Adams is better against the pass than Kam so a little give and take.

Agreed. Now the FO has to add an edge rusher and this should be considered a good off-season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he fits Pete’s defense very well, should help the defense a lot. How ever the cost was steep, so this needs to be go for the gold kind of move. So for that to happen need additional help rushing the passer. Lacking such a move to help in that department, would make this trade puzzling and likely a bad idea. Crossing my fingers that such a move happens, because only having a late second round pick out of the first three rounds is going to sting next year.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Walk” like an Egyptian should be the new slogan for this pitching staff.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally I believe that Jamal Adams is a much better player than Kam was in his prime. With all due respect to Kam, he was a pretty one dimensional player. He delivered highlight hits and was an enforcer in the run game, but he wasn't the best in coverage.

Jamal Adams can really do it all. He won't inspire the fear of Kam, but I think he's overall a much better player.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it occur to anyone that if we hadnt traded away 1sts and wasted the rest we wouldnt need to make trades like this?
Its possible john and pete arent here in 2 years, which could be why they traded all those picks for a safety.

Hey maybe in 2 years we will be rid of PC/JS and their horrible performances and we can focus on being a mediocre team again like you clearly want.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I believe that Jamal Adams is a much better player than Kam was in his prime. With all due respect to Kam, he was a pretty one dimensional player. He delivered highlight hits and was an enforcer in the run game, but he wasn't the best in coverage.

Jamal Adams can really do it all. He won't inspire the fear of Kam, but I think he's overall a much better player.

when i said "Maybe not as good as Kam but close, thing is Adams is better against the pass than Kam so a little give and take." i was talking about in run support/hits and that's why i brought up that he is better in coverage, i think Adams is a better more rounded player.