• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The First 2018 College Football Playoff

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same, that's why I suggest guys like clarkson just drop whatever it is they're hung up on and think about it. I used to think an 8 team playoff would be perfect and where this should all be heading. Autobids with 3 at large spots. Then I paid attention to the what the committee was doing, actually considered what guys against it were saying, thought about it, and dumped that ridiculous horse shit.
He can't let it go though. Once he's latched onto something, stupid or not, there's no going back.

Nevermind that we found that simply going to 6 under this system would have had 2 of the 4 years pick the exact same teams and one only had one difference: His team lolz. The other he's all bent about PSU ffs. It boils down to 3 or maybe 4 different teams out of the 24 that would have been selected over the last 4 years. We aren't talking about a massive difference in outcome, but we sure are talking about a massive change to the sport to do it that way and it isn't a good one.

He really seriously doesn't get that. Bama touched him in some deep dark place. He's ruined.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hilarious SEC card stacking in this 2nd poll....."just a conspiracy though"
Hopefully other conferences will eventually catch wind and pull out of the ESPN SEC Invitational.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky proves they arent that good, wrecked by Georgia......drops only 2 spots.

Florida embarrassed at home by 4 loss team.....drops only 4 spots.

Auburn somehow in the top 25.

LSU only falls to 7 lol

Yea no card stacking for the SEC here

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully other conferences will eventually catch wind and pull out of the ESPN SEC Invitational.
There has been exactly one playoff that had two teams from the same conf so far. One.

ESPN has zero to do with the CFP playoff committee and their selection process. Other than making coin off the selection show.

Paranoid much?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's 3 SEC teams in the top 10, 2 Big 10, 2 Big 12, 1 ACC, 1 Pac 12, and 1 independent. What would you change? I can see an argument for LSU falling a couple more spots, but not out of the top 10. I'd have a bigger issue with OSU at 10 than LSU in the top 10, but there's no one outside that deserves that spot, so I'm okay with them being there by default.

You seem like one of those douchebags who just likes to bitch.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky proves they arent that good, wrecked by Georgia......drops only 2 spots.

Florida embarrassed at home by 4 loss team.....drops only 4 spots.

Auburn somehow in the top 25.

LSU only falls to 7 lol

Yea no card stacking for the SEC here
Again, what would you change? it's easy to claim a team is getting too much credit when you don't have to answer for the teams around them...

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, what would you change? it's easy to claim a team is getting too much credit when you don't have to answer for the teams around them...

Whats your defense of Floridas minuscule drop after getting blown out at home by a 4 loss team? Let me guess you "trust that the committe knows what they are doing"

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats your defense of Floridas minuscule drop after getting blown out at home by a 4 loss team? Let me guess you "trust that the committe knows what they are doing"

There's 3 SEC teams in the top 10, 2 Big 10, 2 Big 12, 1 ACC, 1 Pac 12, and 1 independent. What would you change? I can see an argument for LSU falling a couple more spots, but not out of the top 10. I'd have a bigger issue with OSU at 10 than LSU in the top 10, but there's no one outside that deserves that spot, so I'm okay with them being there by default.

You seem like one of those douchebags who just likes to bitch.

What would you change?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats with Washington fans jumping to defense of the clear SEC card stacking in the ESPNSEC CFP Invitational?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What difference does it make? As I said earlier in this thread, the first week and the last two before selection are all that really matters. The rest of this is just a show.

When we reach that last couple of games talk to me about the order. The one before the championship weekend, and the one after.

In 2016 there were 4 B1G teams in the top 8. 3 in the top 6. Last year B1G had 2 in the top 8 and the SEC had 3.

Again, you have some serious paranoia going on. This year there shouldn't be that many as a few normally solid teams are kind of down right now. Deal with it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats with Washington fans jumping to defense of the clear SEC card stacking in the ESPNSEC CFP Invitational?
It's not even midnight here. And no one is defending the SEC, we are defending intelligent thought. Major difference.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you claiming bias without addressing relevant factors that would need to be considered to show bias?

What would you change?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look, I bought into the BS of autobids at first too. Maybe 4D20 remembers back that far. I thought it through and found it was entirely stupid and horrible.

Just logic it out. You can't not come to the same conclusion.

I barely remember last week. :D

It's not a real surprise people are attracted to it really, it sounds sexy on the surface. The majority of teams in the playoffs now are conference champions, it's not a coincidence and it generally seems to fit. Then there is the natural adversion to the "people making the choices" part as well, yet so far I really have no complaints even though I wanted a BCS style ranking.

But yeah, when you start to look at what it does in practice and all that, quickly falls apart. I figure people who support such things are mostly people who haven't thought it through and/or are people who really don't understand the difference in schedule quality etc. Surely mostly younger people.

I had the same kind of misconceptions when I was younger. Alabama would play some cupcakes to start the year and I would be like "Why aren't they ranked higher, we are fucking awesome!", like 3/4 OD levels. Then we play a good team, struggle to win and/or lose and it's like oh, that's why. Happens enough and you start to get the picture.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you think the computers also "SEC" stack?

8 SEC teams in the top25 on the composite. Is ESPN controlling them, or is it like maybe possible that you are the one that's biased and just pissed off because ESPN doesn't match it?

College Football Ranking Composite

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rest of this is just a show.

I have not watched a single CFB ranking show since the first year.

The closest I have come is watching the clip of Herbie's reaction to Alabama getting in over Ohio St after the fact.

And I don't watch the experts anymore either. I hate seeing everyone's "playoff rankings" every week. Why the hell do you have Alabama and Georgia in your playoff projections? Why do they pretend like these 2 teams are not going to play? I'm not even sure if they have them since I haven't watched, but I'd be willing to bet most of them do. Pick one or the other so you can replace and put in a team that actually might be there.

And when they do 3 SEC teams in the projections....that's what killed it for me. Everyone going crazy and it's like those are 3 SEC West teams people, they are going to play. These are not real projections or rankings or what things are going to be, and people go nuts.

I get better opinions here, and the rankings get posted here when I get ready to see them. Also there are some good YouTube channels where people do things like actually break down plays and go in depth on games, rather than sitting around running the same script every year like mad-libs filling in the blanks. "B player from Y Team is the best player I've seen since A player on Z team in G year". Rinse and repeat year after year and those dudes are wrong constantly.

This dude is awesome for example. But he's a Miss St guy, so he only does SEC. But rather than turn on ESPN, I'll load up these kinds of videos.

Matt Wyatt

The breakdown of Alabama vs LSU yesterday has almost 24k views already.

This is what a sports channel should be.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the computers also "SEC" stack?

8 SEC teams in the top25 on the composite. Is ESPN controlling them, or is it like maybe possible that you are the one that's biased and just pissed off because ESPN doesn't match it?

College Football Ranking Composite
In before "EXPLAIN AUBURN AT 24... ESPN BIAS!!!"

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before "EXPLAIN AUBURN AT 24... ESPN BIAS!!!"
Yeah, we should just ignore UW got moved back into 25th after barely escaping a terrible Stanford team at home after going up 3 scores to open.

There is always weirdness in every poll. It doesn't invalidate them. There is simply weirdness in college football.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017:
Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State, were all conf champs ranked at least top 6 after CCG week. USC was not and had two losses during the year. Bama and Wisky are in purely based off CFP last week poll.

2016:
Bama, Clemson, Washington all top 6 conf champs. The other two had two losses: Oky/PSU. The others that would have been in, Ohio State, Mich, Wisky. So much for SEC bias in the committee eh?

2015:
All P5 CCG winners were top 5. Iowa would have been in.

2014:
All SIX conf champs would have been in. B12 with their weird co-champs and all were top 6.

So, following the edict that 2 game loss champions can be excluded, the current system ALREADY FOLLOWS the proposed changes without the need for fuckery in changing the entire sport to fit it.

I don't think you read Mistakens play off format. His format is a 6 team play off with 5 Auto Bids. The fail safe is for a Conference Champion with more than two losses. They haven't had a Conference Champion with more than 2 losses in any play off year .This is what those seasons would actually look like following his format

Clemson 12-1 CC, 12–1 Oklahoma CC,, 11-2 Ohio State CC , 11-2 USC,
Are in on Auto bid and12-1 Alabama most likely gets the At Large spot

12- 1 Clemson CC, 12-1 Oklahoma CC,11-2 Penn State CC,11-1 Washington CC, 13-0 Alabama CC,
Are all in on Auto bid 11-1 Ohio State moct likely gets the At Large Bid

13-0 Clemson CC,,12-1 Oklahoma CC,12-1 Michigan State CC,11-2 Stanford CC,12-1 Alabama CC

Are allí in on Auto Bids 11-1 Ohio State or !!-1 Iowa most likely get the At Large Bid

13-0 FSU CC, 12-1 Ohio State CC, 12-1 Oregon CC,12-1 Alabama CC
Are all in on Auto Bod 11 - 1 TCU and !1 - 1 Baylor are most likely in as the At Large Bids

It actually clears every question mark aside from UCF which is covered in the uniform gauge using P5's. It even covers the Baylor TCU mess.

His format completely changes the dynamics. And provides the best teams in the play offs. And gives a much more viable True Champion

His post and format are spot on and would take College Football to its highest level.
Let's start at 2014 -
Both end up the same. The committee put the conf winners in the top 6 including both tied B12 teams. There is zero difference.

Score - 6 for 6 in equality.

2015 -
Both end up the same. The committee put the conf winners in the top 6. Clark agrees Iowa is in so he concedes this too is exactly the same. No difference at all.

Score - 12 for 12 in exact same outcome.

2016 -
Bama, Clemson, UW all end up in both. Two conf champions are left out by the committee due to really really bad losses. He has Ohio State in as a WC where the committee has them in by ranking. So 4 of the 6 are the same.

Score - 16 for 18 in same outcomes.

2017-
The year that broke clark.
And why? He says because Ohio State > Bama and it's an outrage! It masks his true agenda. Proof?
If we moved the committee selection out to 6 games to mirror his format BOTH ARE STILL FUCKING IN. :L
That's right, BOTH are in with 6 by the committee AND his supposed superior fix that breaks college football! The ONLY difference between the two is Wisconsin is in by the committee, and USC is in with autobids. That's it. All that bullshit about crying over Bama amounts to exactly zero here. He's upset about USC being left out.

Final score: 21 of 24 playoff teams is exactly the same under both the proposed auto bid system and the current committee selection process if taken out to 6 games to make them equal.

3 total teams different over 4 years. Only we don't have to force ND and BYU into conferences, shake up rivalries, destroy OOC quality, and every other problem it creates.

Clark can't be fixed or reasoned with. I'd really love some more capable poster that has been into this idea and notion of auto bids to honestly look at it and tell us why it still makes sense. There really aren't these sweeping injustices people have worked themselves into believing.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^ thats a mic drop moment that ends this discussion right there.