• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The final (?) roster cuts are coming

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to throw a little (?) in the title because even tho the team must cut the roster from 80 to 53 by Tuesday, I'm guessing there may be some last minute adjustments even afterward based on other teams' roster moves. Accordingly, the 53 man roster announced could very well not be the same cast that suits up against the 49ers. Of the bubble players likely chewing their fingernails down to the nubs while waiting for the decisions, I'm personally pulling most for Jack Sanborn to make the cut.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven't watched yesterday's game besides highlights (haven't lived in Chicago for a while and Sunday Ticket does not host pre-season games). I also didn't watch 2nd half vs Seattle outside of highlights because I had to wake up at 4:30 AM the next morning.

I am a little behind on roster battles this year.

All I know is that we're undefeated pre-season champs, bitches. Anything we do in the regular season is just gravy now. What kind of a fool wants to play out an entire 20 or 21 game regular and post-season for a title? When you can just wreak havoc on the NFL for 3 weeks and stake your claim to immortality?

Eberflus is already on Chicago's sports Mt. Rushmore. I've waited my 30 years on this Earth for something like this. I can't believe it!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokes aside... is Sanborn really in danger of missing the cut? Even coaches that have nothing to do with his position were talking about how well he's played in their interviews that I've seen.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokes aside... is Sanborn really in danger of missing the cut? Even coaches that have nothing to do with his position were talking about how well he's played in their interviews that I've seen.
I don't think he is, but then again, it's not like I have an ear inside the coaches room. IMHO, he should be a cinch to make the team based on how he's performed in camp and of course the games he's played so far. But last I checked, the Bears don't ask for my opinion, so until he's formally named to the roster, I'll continue to simply keep my fingers crossed.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he is, but then again, it's not like I have an ear inside the coaches room. IMHO, he should be a cinch to make the team based on how he's performed in camp and of course the games he's played so far. But last I checked, the Bears don't ask for my opinion, so until he's formally named to the roster, I'll continue to simply keep my fingers crossed.

He's earned a spot...but I'm not gonna sweat a player too much until (A) they have a high pedigree coming out (ie: higher draft pick) or (b) they have produced at the regular season level.

Case in point: Where's Rodney Adams right now?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's earned a spot...but I'm not gonna sweat a player too much until (A) they have a high pedigree coming out (ie: higher draft pick) or (b) they have produced at the regular season level.

Case in point: Where's Rodney Adams right now?
He actually just made the Jets from what I can tell, but I get what you mean.

Anyone remember Brandon Rideau from the late 2000's? That guy was an all-pro when it came to catching passes in the pre-season. Caleb Hanie also always lit it up for us. A lot of pre-season heroes, no doubt.

That's why I'm trying to chill my Steeler fan buddy out on getting on his knees for Kenny Pickett looking good vs the #2's.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really surprised they did not find Schoefield a spot since the Tevin Jenkins trade talk does not seem to be gone yet. I also just read an article about L. Simmons doing really well when he played and I dont think he makes it to our practice squad again.

But so far the only thing close to the car wreck of Nagy is Fields did not throw alot to the receivers he will have. We watched him develop chemistry with Ridley and Adams last year, we watched him with Coulter and Pettis this year and we kept 2 fullbacks and only 2 tight ends.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really surprised they did not find Schoefield a spot since the Tevin Jenkins trade talk does not seem to be gone yet. I also just read an article about L. Simmons doing really well when he played and I dont think he makes it to our practice squad again.

But so far the only thing close to the car wreck of Nagy is Fields did not throw alot to the receivers he will have. We watched him develop chemistry with Ridley and Adams last year, we watched him with Coulter and Pettis this year and we kept 2 fullbacks and only 2 tight ends.
At this juncture, you can put to bed any thoughts of trading Jenkins. He is the Bears RG going forward. In fact, he looks better at RG than Borom does at RT. Now if they can just get a replacement for that bum Mustipher, by either, picking up a back up Center released this week and by getting Patrick healthy. Mustipher is now the weak link on the o line.

I'm actually a bit more concerned about the interior depth on the D line. Really could use a solid 3 Tech for that rotation. Also, the Bears look weak in the back up CB area. One solid back up vet would be nice as well.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They picked up LEatherwood from the Raidas.

Maybe a first round "bust" will be better in a new system, or possibly inside. He started all 17 for them last year.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They picked up LEatherwood from the Raidas.

Maybe a first round "bust" will be better in a new system, or possibly inside. He started all 17 for them last year.

As if I know the pedigree of most, if not all, offensive linemen in the NFL...but this can't be good if it's the first question under "People also ask" when you google him:

How many sacks did Alex Leatherwood give up?

While he did start all 17 games last season, Leatherwood ended up being graded out as one of the worst offensive lineman in the NFL. Leatherwood was called for 14 penalties last year, the 3rd most in the league, and gave up eight sacks, which was 2nd most.

Ouch. We must be pretty desperate behind the scenes.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As if I know the pedigree of most, if not all, offensive linemen in the NFL...but this can't be good if it's the first question under "People also ask" when you google him:

While he did start all 17 games last season, Leatherwood ended up being graded out as one of the worst offensive lineman in the NFL. Leatherwood was called for 14 penalties last year, the 3rd most in the league, and gave up eight sacks, which was 2nd most.

Then let's hope we picked him up strictly for depth purposes. Don't like those numbers at all.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the list of names for the Bears practice squad:

Glad to see Coulter, Evans, and Coley in particular stick around to be placed on the squad. Wouldn't surprise me if at some point during the season we see any or all three make the parent club.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From a Raiders podcast, they said Leatherwood could not accept playing the right side. He wants to be a left tackle. It sounds like he is not set to be a full line backup. In all honesty, if you could fill your line with left tackles and they embrace the change, you would have a great line.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poles has done a pretty good job to date with his draft picks and scouring the waiver wire. He might need to do a bit more tho, as the Bears have placed WRs Tajae Sharpe and N'Keal Harry on IR. I'm guessing they'll bring Isaiah Coulter back from the PS, then perhaps Nsimba Webster from the PS as well or see who's on the open market and available.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poles has done a pretty good job to date with his draft picks and scouring the waiver wire. He might need to do a bit more tho, as the Bears have placed WRs Tajae Sharpe and N'Keal Harry on IR. I'm guessing they'll bring Isaiah Coulter back from the PS, then perhaps Nsimba Webster from the PS as well or see who's on the open market and available.
Sure enough, Poles just grabbed '21 Vikings draft pick Ihmir Smith-Marsette off waivers. He's been feasting on the retreads the past few days.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely not a desperate move to pickup a guy who was a 1st round pick two years ago. If it is as a starter, then sure. That does not appear to be the case at this juncture, however.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely not a desperate move to pickup a guy who was a 1st round pick two years ago. If it is as a starter, then sure. That does not appear to be the case at this juncture, however.

I mean…I guess but no other team put a claim in for this guy with even that low bar of expectation. Can’t hurt as obviously our management/coaching thinks our roster has more holes than swiss cheese-as evidenced by a ridiculous amount of waiver wire pickups. If more than say- one of these moves end up mattering with any significance what a story that would tell. My condolences would be sent to the Atlanta Falcons if that is the case.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure enough, Poles just grabbed '21 Vikings draft pick Ihmir Smith-Marsette off waivers. He's been feasting on the retreads the past few days.
Hopefully its some guys that learned the reality of the NFL, that being a first round pick does not set you up for a superstar career. Those usually end up as "character" guys.
A serious question though, if these recent first round guys pan out, is the fifth year option still available to the team that signs them?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully its some guys that learned the reality of the NFL, that being a first round pick does not set you up for a superstar career. Those usually end up as "character" guys.
A serious question though, if these recent first round guys pan out, is the fifth year option still available to the team that signs them?
As long as it's a former first rounder and a team claims that player, the rookie contract remains intact, which includes the option year as well.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an updated 53 man roster:

And hell, no way should we rule out any further adjustments either, not with this crazy driven GM. What's interesting to note is all six players the Bears picked up on waivers made the roster. Technically we can include a seventh in Ihmir Smith-Marsette, altho he's replacing N'Keal Harry only after the Bears placed him on IR.

There are two ways to look at all this, and both would be correct. The half full take is the Bears took advantage of other teams dumping quality players, in some cases due to financial reasons. And their loss is our gain. These replacements make the Bears a stronger team by giving them added, not to mention much needed depth. But the half empty take confirms that our roster prior to these moves had to be pretty weak so that six castoffs from other teams could still make the roster. I mean, how many playoff teams claim half a dozen players after the final roster has been announced? If you answered more than zero, you're wrong.

Have to say, out of these latest waiver add-ons, my personal favorite pickup is Armon Watts, DL. This is a BIG man who can really play any spot on the line, altho he'll most likely find most of his playing time on the inside. Despite only starting 9 games last year (altho playing in 16), he racked up 5 sacks, 3 TFL, and 10 QB hits. Not too shabby.