• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Fail Mary ref had his life totally screwed because of that game

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Military men are stronger mentally than the average human being.

Frankly, I would say you are COMPLETELY wrong (if only evidenced by the high number of conscripts - taken directly from civilian life - who were drafted into the various armies in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, or even the US Civil War, and how that ended up).

I would even argue that this assumption is a major part of the problem why so many in the military especially (or other high-gruesomeness professions, like firemen, police or EMT's, disaster relief workers) end up having serious mental problems after experiencing something traumatic. The fact that they are deemed so much stronger, means that the threshold for seeking help (in whatever form) becomes much higher, to the point where they either do not seek help at all, or only when things have escalated even further, and they are in a much deeper hole. It has also been (and to some extent still is) the excuse of ignoring the need to provide those within the military with the mental help they need, or be on the look-out to catch those who need it.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy has issues, but yet Bill Leavy still has a job.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that separates what this guy has gone through and what a soldier goes through is that the soldiers understands the risks he or she is taking by joining the military. You are more prepared to deal with really bad things.

This guy was doing something he had no reason to expect would alter his life so severely. His life was turned upside down due to a single call in a football game.

It reminds me of how Sox fans were with Bill Buckner for decades. Buckner simply refused to go into New England. At least Buckner got paid a lot of money to play the sport. Easley was filling in for the actual refs and probably didn't make much of anything.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Military men are stronger mentally than the average human being.

Most are, some have no business going in, weak minded and think the service will toughen them up.I knew a lot of ex cons that judge said either go to service or back to pen for 10 years or so, they chose military. Thank you all that have served.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That dude that messed up that Chicago Cubs playoff game a few years ago has gone through some major crap too.

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought that the quality of officiating from the replacement refs (minus the Fail Mary) was far superior to that of the mainstream garbage that we have to deal with.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow hard to imagine all that he has been through since that famous call a few year back in the Packer/Seahawk game. Being one of those fill in refs was not the thing to do for him.

It is a longer article so click link if you have interest in reading all the details

Since 'Fail Mary,' ex-ref Lance Easley says he is battling post-traumatic stress disorder

Since 'Fail Mary,' ex-ref Lance Easley says he is battling post-traumatic stress disorder - Yahoo Sports

As the 2012 Russell Wilson pass that would soon be known as the "Fail Mary" floated through the Seattle air, Lance Easley was still an anonymous NFL replacement referee.

In his regular life, he was a vice president with Bank of America, a family man, a devout Christian and someone who for decades in California spent his free time refereeing high school football, small college basketball, whatever he could.

Today, everything is different.

It's more than two years since Easley made one of the most infamous calls in NFL history. It left him under siege from the media, both traditional and social. Players and coaches blasted him. Late-night comics mocked him. Irate fans and gamblers hammered him with crank calls and death threats. The controversy extended all the way to the presidential campaign trail with both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney addressing it.

Today, Easley says, the man he was is gone. Perhaps only his faith remains the same. Today, everything else is up for grabs. Today, it's all a struggle.

"Right now I'm just trying to keep my life together," Easley told Yahoo Sports in a series of interviews just as the focus on the Fail Mary returns with the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks meeting Sunday for the NFC championship. "It's really difficult."

Easley, 55, says he is suffering from severe depression. It's an illness he periodically struggled with during his life but flared up significantly in the past year as he has tried, unsuccessfully, to put that night in Seattle, and the overwhelming pressure that followed, behind him.

You know its a crying shame that people take a game to this extreme. So the guy may or may have not made a bad call depending on your opinion. So why destroy a mans life over a damn football game? Death threats really? All those people who have ragged this man the last couple years must live perfect lives to the point they never make mistakes. SMH some people don't deserve to breath air.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought that the quality of officiating from the replacement refs (minus the Fail Mary) was far superior to that of the mainstream garbage that we have to deal with.

did you watch those games?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... okay? Did someone like kidnap his family? Did his wife leave him and kids hang themselves?

It wasn't even the wrong call:
Shame on the Angry Mob: Golden Tate?s Touchdown Was Legit

Written by a known Steelers fan of all individuals.

It just happened to be one of the most storied teams (Packers) that most of NFL nation has a lot of respect for on primetime when everyone was looking for ANY excuse to bash the replacement refs. If it was Cleveland vs. Jacksonville or something it wouldn't have even made the highlight reel.

The hell? Golden Tate committed offensive PI. Anything that happens after that is void. Game over. Clock expires. Packers win.

Not rocket science.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy has issues, but yet Bill Leavy still has a job.

Leavy did say he lost sleep over screwing up calls in the superbowl. Seattle isn't the only fanbase that is not thrilled with him. He still screws shit up.

We really need a better thread to (discuss) the fail mary. This one has some pretty sad undertones to it. PTSD is really serious stuff. I have known several veterans trying to make their lives worth living in spite of it. Some of them just threw in the towel.

If you watch some of the war documentaries you see really old guys break down in tears about things they experienced half a lifetime ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To this day, I cannot get my Uncle or Brother In Law to talk about their experiences in Nam.

Damn shame what these Veterans had to endure.