• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Fail Mary ref had his life totally screwed because of that game

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow hard to imagine all that he has been through since that famous call a few year back in the Packer/Seahawk game. Being one of those fill in refs was not the thing to do for him.

It is a longer article so click link if you have interest in reading all the details

Since 'Fail Mary,' ex-ref Lance Easley says he is battling post-traumatic stress disorder

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/since-...asley-says-he-is-battling-ptsd-120929270.html

As the 2012 Russell Wilson pass that would soon be known as the "Fail Mary" floated through the Seattle air, Lance Easley was still an anonymous NFL replacement referee.

In his regular life, he was a vice president with Bank of America, a family man, a devout Christian and someone who for decades in California spent his free time refereeing high school football, small college basketball, whatever he could.

Today, everything is different.

It's more than two years since Easley made one of the most infamous calls in NFL history. It left him under siege from the media, both traditional and social. Players and coaches blasted him. Late-night comics mocked him. Irate fans and gamblers hammered him with crank calls and death threats. The controversy extended all the way to the presidential campaign trail with both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney addressing it.

Today, Easley says, the man he was is gone. Perhaps only his faith remains the same. Today, everything else is up for grabs. Today, it's all a struggle.

"Right now I'm just trying to keep my life together," Easley told Yahoo Sports in a series of interviews just as the focus on the Fail Mary returns with the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks meeting Sunday for the NFC championship. "It's really difficult."

Easley, 55, says he is suffering from severe depression. It's an illness he periodically struggled with during his life but flared up significantly in the past year as he has tried, unsuccessfully, to put that night in Seattle, and the overwhelming pressure that followed, behind him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... okay? Did someone like kidnap his family? Did his wife leave him and kids hang themselves?

It wasn't even the wrong call:
Shame on the Angry Mob: Golden Tate?s Touchdown Was Legit

Written by a known Steelers fan of all individuals.

It just happened to be one of the most storied teams (Packers) that most of NFL nation has a lot of respect for on primetime when everyone was looking for ANY excuse to bash the replacement refs. If it was Cleveland vs. Jacksonville or something it wouldn't have even made the highlight reel.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... okay? Did someone like kidnap his family? Did his wife leave him and kids hang themselves?

It wasn't even the wrong call:
Shame on the Angry Mob: Golden Tate?s Touchdown Was Legit

Written by a known Steelers fan of all individuals.

It just happened to be one of the most storied teams (Packers) that most of NFL nation has a lot of respect for on primetime when everyone was looking for ANY excuse to bash the replacement refs. If it was Cleveland vs. Jacksonville or something it wouldn't have even made the highlight reel.

Well not sure if you took the time to read the full article but if so would have seen his marriage is messed up and has thought of suicide

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I served in the military for 5 years, including a fun filled trip to the middle east (56th MCT, Operation New Dawn). I have seen things that have given me PTSD. Fortunately, over the last year I have received the help and medication to get it under control and now feel, while I will always suffer from it, it is not negatively impacting my life day to day like it used to.

The idea that a bad call during a football game could cause someone to suffer similar symptoms that I, and thousands of others who have seen/done far worse, is completely absurd. This is just like someone you meet at a bar saying "Oh, I am SOOOO OCD" while not understanding how serious a disease that is.

I am sure it has caused him grief, and death threats are no joke, I just can't wrap my head around such an outrageous claim.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I served in the military for 5 years, including a fun filled trip to the middle east (56th MCT, Operation New Dawn). I have seen things that have given me PTSD. Fortunately, over the last year I have received the help and medication to get it under control and now feel, while I will always suffer from it, it is not negatively impacting my life day to day like it used to.

The idea that a bad call during a football game could cause someone to suffer similar symptoms that I, and thousands of others who have seen/done far worse, is completely absurd. This is just like someone you meet at a bar saying "Oh, I am SOOOO OCD" while not understanding how serious a disease that is.

I am sure it has caused him grief, and death threats are no joke, I just can't wrap my head around such an outrageous claim.

Never been in the military (but respect to you sir) but that's kind of what I thought lol.

notorious98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyone handles things differently. It's a bit unfair to start pigeonholing people into acting certain ways because you've experienced far worse. The guy has stated he's suffered depression in the past, that could have just been a breaking point.

It really bothers me when people think they know how people should react to something as if their experiences are a barometer for all people and all situations.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone handles things differently. It's a bit unfair to start pigeonholing people into acting certain ways because you've experienced far worse. The guy has stated he's suffered depression in the past, that could have just been a breaking point.

It really bothers me when people think they know how people should react to something as if their experiences are a barometer for all people and all situations.

Exactly what I was about to say.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What you are saying is completely true, however, one cannot use anything OTHER then their experiences as a barometer. I can only live in my own head.

I still believe that he is using the term "PTSD" without fully recognizing how serious it is. I cannot imagine even the least mentally strong person on the planet would find getting a call wrong in an NFL game being on par to going to war or getting abused by loved ones or any of the other common causes.

But, as you (correctly) pointed out, I am just guessing based on my own experiences.

notorious98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you are saying is completely true, however, one cannot use anything OTHER then their experiences as a barometer. I can only live in my own head.

I still believe that he is using the term "PTSD" without fully recognizing how serious it is. I cannot imagine even the least mentally strong person on the planet would find getting a call wrong in an NFL game being on par to going to war or getting abused by loved ones or any of the other common causes.

But, as you (correctly) pointed out, I am just guessing based on my own experiences.

Unless they already have a fragile mental state. Also, what about other soldiers who don't get PTSD from going to war or people who don't get it from getting abused by loved ones? Are they allowed to demean the way you received PTSD?

People also don't tend to self-diagnose PTSD. If he says he has it, it's likely because a psychologist has said as much. The article already states he's been in mental facilities since that time.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MCT......a fellow transporter. :rockon: Good to hear you've returned safely and are making your way back into the real world.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is a 55 year old professional, gives a man a different perspective than a younger man, the world comes down around you in a different way.

Last edited by a moderator:

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The call was correct according to the letter of the rule.

A traumatic event is only relevant to he/she that endured said event. Events are as devastating as one believes them to be.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they already have a fragile mental state. Also, what about other soldiers who don't get PTSD from going to war or people who don't get it from getting abused by loved ones? Are they allowed to demean the way you received PTSD?

People also don't tend to self-diagnose PTSD. If he says he has it, it's likely because a psychologist has said as much. The article already states he's been in mental facilities since that time.

I should be clear here. I do not mean to "demean" anyone. While I hated this guy's call (and if you get a few beers in me, I will explain to you, AT LENGTH , how much I hated that call) he should not have to go through what he has because of a football game.

At worst, I am saying he is misdiagnosed. There has to be some sort of line where a traumatic event can cause something that can be called PTSD. That line is somewhere between "going to war" and "dropped my ice cream cone on the sidewalk" but it's there. It is just hard for me to believe that a bad call in a football game is above that line.

It is, however, very clear that we will not agree on that point. You make a very valid argument and I can see where you are coming from. I just can't find it in myself to agree.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should be clear here. I do not mean to "demean" anyone. While I hated this guy's call (and if you get a few beers in me, I will explain to you, AT LENGTH , how much I hated that call) he should not have to go through what he has because of a football game.

At worst, I am saying he is misdiagnosed. There has to be some sort of line where a traumatic event can cause something that can be called PTSD. That line is somewhere between "going to war" and "dropped my ice cream cone on the sidewalk" but it's there. It is just hard for me to believe that a bad call in a football game is above that line.

It is, however, very clear that we will not agree on that point. You make a very valid argument and I can see where you are coming from. I just can't find it in myself to agree.

The event wasn't the call itself. It was the series of events that occurred afterwards because of that call.

Thanks for your service. I'm glad to hear you sought help and have since found a better place.

notorious98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Military men are stronger mentally than the average human being.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you for your service.

Remember, The grief you feel is the grief that's real.....

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First of all, I respect your opinion, and hope you will be able to overcome - or at least come to grips - with your experiences and your PTSD.

That said, I think you are somewhat wrong in the way you look at it. What allegedly happened is that this guy was being harassed, ridiculed and threatened for weeks or months by - basically - the whole nation NOT something (potentially) traumatic?

The traumatic experience was NOT the one call. The traumatic experience was what he was subjected for a prolonged period thereafter. And yes, I probably WOULD put that above that drawn line. The majority of us would fully accept that sustained/prolonged bullying and harassment can lead to suicide. How then could the same be excluded from leading to PTSD - which IMHO is one or a few steps less severe, and might lead to suicide.

Personally I think that you are wrong in ascribing PTSD necessarily to a single event/act at a single moment in time - like, for instance, getting injured on the battlefield or seeing a comrade being blown up. It could equally be a prolonged series of acts/events of a similar nature, that finally prove too much, triggered by a single event (in this case the bullying and harassment resulting from that one call).

Even then, there is a whole lot of variety of what individuals could/would consider to be a traumatic experience - not even necessarily related to violence or death. For some forced exposure to a wide public could be a much more stressful and traumatic experience than being an 'anonymous' soldier on a horrific battlefield.

Hence the description Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - the descriptor traumatic is a rather vague and wide descriptor, somewhat of a catch-all; basically what it is saying is someone is suffering from a stress related disorder as a result of a traumatic experience (of whatever nature), and his/her inability to cope with it. And as hard as it might be for you to understand or accept - and I fully understand that - some way, somehow, said guy ended up with similar symptoms. And - normally - for him to be diagnosed with PTSD in the first place, his symptoms would have had to have passed certain minimum severity thresholds for the diagnosis to stand.