• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Dusty Baker Thread

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This dude deserves his own thread. Is he truly a horrible manager, or is he a mad genius? In any event, he has been given the keys to the kingdom with the Nationals.

Can he possibly screw this up? Let's discuss.

Latest move: Benching/platooning a finally-hot Ben Revere for/with Michael Taylor. Just prior to that decision, Revere had caught fire. Instead of keeping him in the lineup, he was immediately given 'a few days rest'. Apparently he is now in a straight platoon situation.

Given Dusty's dislike for young players and the fact that Revere was in a zone, this to me is baffling. That said, the Taylor kid is good, has a lot of potential and is also currently on fire.

The Trea Turner situation must be noted as well; given Espinosa's pop with the bat and the notion that Trea needs to work on his defense, the Nats don't need Turner in the lineup at the moment. This is beginning to look like a brilliant move on Dusty's part.

So...you make the call: Dusty Baker, madman or mad genius? :noidea::noidea::noidea:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, my money league team has been named after him since his Reds days... "The Dustiest Baker"

And to answer your question, he's terrible. Stubborn.

But he is not the worst... you know the worst. The Sciosciapath himself.

At least Dusty's stop gags are performing. Scioscia thinks Shane Robinson and Daniel Nava are major leaguers. Took him three months to demote Todd Cunningham... Todd Cunningham!!!! The fact he's the longest tenured coach right now is embarrassing.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, not that Joe Maddon is in the same oblivious universe they are, but is he currently on any prescription medication?

What, in holy hell makes him feel like getting Chris Coghlan in the lineup is some kind of necessity? Wholly fucking cripes! How about giving Baez the chance he deserves? Russell gets a pass. Heyward gets a pass. So sick of it. So. Fucking. Sick. ....we'll see how this catcher thing plays out. Montero playing because???? I'm sure a rookie staff might need a vet, but the Cubbies are rolling out major vets, and elite studs.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoof...after last night, I think Dusty might change his mind on Revere.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can keep a ball club together- that's been evidenced by turning three franchises around, trying for a fourth now. Yes, he's completely inept at statistics, but so are most 70 year old ex-players. I think he's a GREAT fit in Washington

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can keep a ball club together- that's been evidenced by turning three franchises around, trying for a fourth now. Yes, he's completely inept at statistics, but so are most 70 year old ex-players. I think he's a GREAT fit in Washington

We'll see how things turn out. My late grandmother could keep that ball club together. I think management is looking for a little more from Dusty.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Dusty's reputation for "ruining pitchers" (i.e. Wood, Prior) is exaggerated. Reds pitchers actually threw far fewer pitches than his Cubs pitchers. Both pitchers were regarded as having faulty mechanics anyway.

He's not a good tactician, but most managers kind of suck anyway. Dude had quite the infatuation with batting infielders/speedy outfielders leadoff though.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, he'll never live down his whole "clogging up the basepaths" comment.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Respectfully disagree. The Reds did not turn anything around.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds missed twelve consecutive postseasons and had only two winning seasons prior to Dusty taking over. Reds were .524 under Baker with three postseason appearances and two division titles. Whether you attribute it to Dusty or not, that's a pretty big turnaround.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Respectfully disagree. The Reds did not turn anything around.
navamind covered it. I don't know how you don't call that a turnaround

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably bias. Watching day in and day out, with bad lineups and bad game decisions a plenty.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably bias. Watching day in and day out, with bad lineups and bad game decisions a plenty.
Yeah, I agree he's an idiot. But managers are a special breed. Some stat-crunchers claim they have little influence on their teams, which I disagree with. Managers do have little influence on the statistics of the game. Randomizing a lineup may lead to 1 extra win. Unless the manager is starting Peter Bourjos over Odubel Herrera every game, there isn't much they can do with stats, unless they became totally unconventional; i.e., using their best reliever in the most important spot or only allowing starters to go 4 or 5 innings (which I think will happen in 50 years- but I doubt it will come from a manager).

I do think they can help with the morale of a team. Dusty is a trusted leader, and I believe his players believe in him. The players quit on Williams, just like LA sort of quit on Mattingly.

I hate using such qualitative measures in baseball, but I think managing is one area where it applies.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree he's an idiot. But managers are a special breed. Some stat-crunchers claim they have little influence on their teams, which I disagree with. Managers do have little influence on the statistics of the game. Randomizing a lineup may lead to 1 extra win. Unless the manager is starting Peter Bourjos over Odubel Herrera every game, there isn't much they can do with stats, unless they became totally unconventional; i.e., using their best reliever in the most important spot or only allowing starters to go 4 or 5 innings (which I think will happen in 50 years- but I doubt it will come from a manager).

I do think they can help with the morale of a team. Dusty is a trusted leader, and I believe his players believe in him. The players quit on Williams, just like LA sort of quit on Mattingly.

I hate using such qualitative measures in baseball, but I think managing is one area where it applies.

I think lineup optimization is pretty negligible, though it certainly hurts to put guys like Corey Patterson/Neifi Perez in the leadoff spot IMO.

I agree about managers though. It really makes having guys like Maddon/Showalter/Bochy/Banister that much more valuable.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think lineup optimization is pretty negligible, though it certainly hurts to put guys like Corey Patterson/Neifi Perez in the leadoff spot IMO.

I agree about managers though. It really makes having guys like Maddon/Showalter/Bochy/Banister that much more valuable.
Corey Patterson is still the best A ball player I've ever seen.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Patterson is still the best A ball player I've ever seen.
.320/.358/.592, 35 doubles, 17 triples, 20 home runs, 33 steals (caught 9 times) in 112 games. Those are some pretty awesome stats. 17 triples is a fuck ton anywhere.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.320/.358/.592, 35 doubles, 17 triples, 20 home runs, 33 steals (caught 9 times) in 112 games. Those are some pretty awesome stats. 17 triples is a fuck ton anywhere.
Not a big home park either. And he was 19.

He was something to see. (Didn't take walks then either though.). Very aggressive.

Big Z and Little Giambi were both on that team too. I think.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big home park either. And he was 19.

He was something to see. (Didn't take walks then either though.). Very aggressive.

Big Z and Little Giambi were both on that team too. I think.

Big Z was. Little Giambi bounced around Omaha and KC in 1999.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Z was. Little Giambi bounced around Omaha and KC in 1999.
Choi was 99. Lil Giambi was older, right?

Anyway, Dusty did stick with Patterson for what seemed like more than what he earned. But for awhile he did seem a nice candidate. Dusty ain't my guy by any means, but he got a lot of leway with me on that one.

Undeserved leway as it turned out.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ben Revere picks up four hits, three steals

5150.jpg
Ben Revere went 4-for-5 with an RBI, three runs scored and three stolen bases in Monday's victory over the Mets.

It was a good time for Revere to have a big night with Trea Turner making his professional debut in center field at Triple-A Syracuse on Monday. The speedster had three of the Nationals' six steals on the night, as teams are continuing to run wild on Noah Syndergaard. Revere was officially put on notice with the Turner news, so he'll need to keep it going.

I've lost track...is Revere still platooning at the moment?