• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Draft doesn't matter.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year 2 of 17 guys i drafted were on my roster when the playoffs started in my main money league, i lost the championship on 1 bad call and some injuries.

But........food for thought

upload_2020-1-3_22-53-39.png

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year 2 of 17 guys i drafted were on my roster when the playoffs started in my main money league, i lost the championship on 1 bad call and some injuries.

View attachment 228695
Ha! So Perriman was on quite a few winning rosters..................

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had 1st pick in a 10 team, went with Barkley. Managed to win thanks to Tanny and AJ Brown pick ups around week 13.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean , it obviously matters, but management matters most, and shrewd moves. You can win, and tank the draft.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just off the top of my head, out of the 4 Semi-Final teams in my main money league, there were 14 of those guise on those teams...........

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean , it obviously matters, but management matters most, and shrewd moves. You can win, and tank the draft.
This is exactly what I was going to say. There are plenty of different ways to win leagues. And while the draft is the most important day in the fantasy league season, it is definitely not the end all, be all. If you bomb the draft, you can overcome that. On the flip side, if you kill the draft and hit on most of your picks, you can also still not even make the playoffs. A lot of newcomers don't get this aspect. It is a season long investment and you have to always be looking for ways to improve your team.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I disagree with the bolded part. I think luck matters most when it comes to fantasy football.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I disagree with the bolded part. I think luck matters most when it comes to fantasy football.
I dunno man, guys that manage their rosters, are active, have knowledge tend to be at the top consistently. Luck does matter. The guy who won my money league had the second least total points. Least points against. Snuck in the playoffs . And won each round with the second lowest score of the week. And in the finals beat me due to injuries. Pure luck. His team was awful. But on the whole the better managers were there, and it's the same guys at the top yearly. Guys who hold on to beliefs they have studs, don't manage waivers, etc. tend to fall at the wayside. Luck always plus a roll yearly. But the guys with the best chances are active managers.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno man, guys that manage their rosters, are active, have knowledge tend to be at the top consistently. Luck does matter. The guy who won my money league had the second least total points. Least points against. Snuck in the playoffs . And won each round with the second lowest score of the week. And in the finals beat me due to injuries. Pure luck. His team was awful. But on the whole the better managers were there, and it's the same guys at the top yearly. Guys who hold on to beliefs they have studs, don't manage waivers, etc. tend to fall at the wayside. Luck always plus a roll yearly. But the guys with the best chances are active managers.
I can buy that. I always use the poker analogy. You can have a bomb opening hand (pocket aces in hold 'em or something) and go up against a 2-7 off suit and get outdrawn. But if you keep playing your pocket aces every time you get them, you should win more times than not.

The hardest thing to accept (in poker or FF) is that you did the right thing and lost.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, 15-20 years ago (or longer) guise like me, TREFF, TLance, TKO, Lefty, Joe and damn near all of us here had a major advantage: We took the time to study, looked shit up and paid attention to shit (preseason games, news, rumors etc.) as that information was not so "In yer face". Back then dudes just bought a magazine cuz the info was harder to find. Shit, now any goofball can be a FF guru as all of the info is just there. That makes it so much harder to dominate now as it was then. So IMO (and I'm sure many will disagree with me) now a days there is way more luck involved then there was back then.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can buy that. I always use the poker analogy. You can have a bomb opening hand (pocket aces in hold 'em or something) and go up against a 2-7 off suit and get outdrawn. But if you keep playing your pocket aces every time you get them, you should win more times than not.

The hardest thing to accept (in poker or FF) is that you did the right thing and lost.
absolutely, i think thats a great analogy. I feel like that happened this very season in my fantasy league!

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, 15-20 years ago (or longer) guise like me, TREFF, TLance, TKO, Lefty, Joe and damn near all of us here had a major advantage: We took the time to study, looked shit up and paid attention to shit (preseason games, news, rumors etc.) as that information was not so "In yer face". Back then dudes just bought a magazine cuz the info was harder to find. Shit, now any goofball can be a FF guru as all of the info is just there. That makes it so much harder to dominate now as it was then. So IMO (and I'm sure many will disagree with me) now a days there is way more luck involved then there was back then.
i know, its hard to stash guys from waivers and crap because ppl r on it....by just reading one website. it sucks. u can get a handful of guys, but its tough. but i cant imagine the advantage you would have back then!

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know, its hard to stash guys from waivers and crap because ppl r on it....by just reading one website. it sucks. u can get a handful of guys, but its tough. but i cant imagine the advantage you would have back then!
Yeah, when it comes to grabbing guise off the wire (when Blind Bidding) I have been going after the not as popular player and was able to sneak a few good ones, Perriman and Parker being the 2 best this season fer me.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but there is still a skill that goes into team management.

For instance, if owners held on to Montgomery or Justice Hill or the kid for the Rams, they were essentially wasting a bench spot all season long.

Or maybe there was a one week wonder that everyone targeted in free agency... like a Peyton Barber type who had 1 or 2 real good weeks... that move probably killed a few owners.

How many owners cut ties with Antonio Brown (and the like) quickly rather than let him drag their team down?

You string a few of these bad decisions and failed draft expectations together on 1 fantasy team and you have yourself a losing team.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 228695

Ergo, we dipped our toes in a Vampire League.

A bad draft can kill you, a good draft can win it for you...but a good/bad waivers season can tip the scales.

My last championship a few years back was Bell's suspension year.

1 - Shady
2 - Bell
3 - Evans
4 - Brees
5 - DWill

And that carried me.

On the flip side, I've messed up too many to recall specifics.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with this is that it's incredibly slanted towards week 16 performance. Most of those guys are there because they went off in Week 16. I mean, why else would Perriman be at the top?

My core was made up of my keepers (Tyreek Hill and Aaron Jones) and then dudes I drafted. Lamar, Julio, Marlon Mack. Also, some guys that I traded for like Joe Mixon and Darren Waller. Of course, I traded using the guys I drafted.

I mean, it's your entire starting point. I don't see how that isn't huge. Yes, you can manage around some stuff. But if you nail the draft (like I did this year, lol) you are set. I was the best team wire-to-wire.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with this is that it's incredibly slanted towards week 16 performance. Most of those guys are there because they went off in Week 16. I mean, why else would Perriman be at the top?

My core was made up of my keepers (Tyreek Hill and Aaron Jones) and then dudes I drafted. Lamar, Julio, Marlon Mack. Also, some guys that I traded for like Joe Mixon and Darren Waller. Of course, I traded using the guys I drafted.

I mean, it's your entire starting point. I don't see how that isn't huge. Yes, you can manage around some stuff. But if you nail the draft (like I did this year, lol) you are set. I was the best team wire-to-wire.
the point is, you cna just as easily not nail it. most years, at min half my rosters is dumped

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the point is, you cna just as easily not nail it. most years, at min half my rosters is dumped

Nailing it is just as easily as missing on it? I just can't get behind that. It's a bigger hurdle to overcome.

And nailing it is more about your core. Quality, not quantity. I dumped a lot of mine too. And if you're trading... it's basically utilizing those players.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nailing it is just as easily as missing on it? I just can't get behind that. It's a bigger hurdle to overcome.

And nailing it is more about your core. Quality, not quantity. I dumped a lot of mine too. And if you're trading... it's basically utilizing those players.
it is, your just backing my point, that most guys can be turned over. That yearl guys from week 15-17 from waivers lead you to the title

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is, your just backing my point, that most guys can be turned over. That yearl guys from week 15-17 from waivers lead you to the title

I think it is more complicated than this... Playoffs is a different animal though as in most leagues only playoff teams are allowed to use free agency(and/or many teams have already given up) and future weeks are less important... so playoffs, you can play matchups much more than you can during the regular season...

If the point is that most of your team can be turned over, then sure... But the draft still matters... and is still the most important ONE day of the season... if you have a bad draft then you need "luck"... if you have a good draft then you don't need as much "luck", until the playoffs...

I will also say, getting off to a hot start, is very important... If you start hot, then you can control your "luck"...