• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Donovan Mitchell Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jazz will swap it if the Cleveland pick is better. They won't swap it if it's worse.

If the Jazz don't swap, then they use their own pick instead, since their own pick is better.

So then we get nothing. Stupid. Well, thanks for confirming.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jazz keep the better pick. That in itself, is something. If Cleveland is 3-4 picks better, then that is a nice jump, after the pick swap, for the Jazz.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jazz keep the better pick. That in itself, is something. If Cleveland is 3-4 picks better, then that is a nice jump, after the pick swap, for the Jazz.

I guess. But we’d already get our pick. This just mandates them to trade it to us if they fail.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess. But we’d already get our pick. This just mandates them to trade it to us if they fail.

I like your John Stockton player card. You give me the card and I will give you my parking spot if it’s closer. By the way, I’m going to be leaving my house later than you are. If I somehow get there before you do, you’ll get a better parking spot, otherwise, we’ll just keep our own.

I was trying to think of an analogy that worked for my point in that it is less likely for them to have a better draft pick than we do when they got the better player. I understand that it’s not for next year and so we might get a good player in time to compete.

I was thinking about using a car as my analogy instead of a player card, but if you gave me the better, faster car, I will get there quicker and therefore get the better parking spot. Draft picks are exactly the opposite of that where the person with the worst car would get the better parking spot. I wanted to think of something also that because you gave me that let me leave later and therefore get there later, but that didn’t make sense either. So I quit and use the player card analogy.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been a few cases where a team traded away the better player, and ended up having the better record than the team they ended up trading the player to.

I would have to look up some details to get the exact ones correct, but I know I've seen it happen before.

Also, I think combining player cards and parking spots makes it too complicated.

I think it should go like this: I give you the better car. Whoever gets there last, gets the better parking spot. Then the person with the better car, somehow gets the better parking spot. But then because of the parking spot swap rule, the Jazz would get the better parking spot.

Also, maybe the better car breaks down quickly, or needs more expensive servicing.

One can either say that the worse car might have more mechanical problems, or one could say the better car needs more expensive maintenance (not the same as a mechanical repair).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you laugh too?

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went went wrong with Donovan Mitchell? The exuberance left the building. The fact that he went to the dark side, ego, is disappointing. He has a big voice that will carry in the NBA and I’m afraid it won’t do much to shore up the Jazz’ PR problem of being a small white market.

He had a quote a couple weeks ago saying he isn’t about to bring down the Cavs defense. He said he can play D, he just hasn’t shown it yet because he had to carry the offense. Terrible quote IMO. Jazz was best in blender mode and he took it upon himself to go hero ball, my turn your turn.

I presume his fate will be like every other Jazz star that’s left the building. He was a product of a system and his marginal reality, mostly due to size/position, will relegate him to a second/third option obscurity.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went went wrong with Donovan Mitchell? The exuberance left the building. The fact that he went to the dark side, ego, is disappointing. He has a big voice that will carry in the NBA and I’m afraid it won’t do much to shore up the Jazz’ PR problem of being a small white market.

He had a quote a couple weeks ago saying he isn’t about to bring down the Cavs defense. He said he can play D, he just hasn’t shown it yet because he had to carry the offense. Terrible quote IMO. Jazz was best in blender mode and he took it upon himself to go hero ball, my turn your turn.

I presume his fate will be like every other Jazz star that’s left the building. He was a product of a system and his marginal reality, mostly due to size/position, will relegate him to a second/third option obscurity.

That is a terrible quote, agree.

You don't see the greatest players complain about not having enough energy to play defense.

Among modern players, Jimmy Butler and Giannis Antetokounmpo bring it at both ends. So does Embiid.

Taytum is solid. So does Chris Paul.

Morant is also someone that strikes me as someone that would not make excuses.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Question is whether they will sign and trade him, whether he will sign the max, which would be bigger than New York can offer, and then pout? this has nothing to do with Mitchell himself but rather sports in general. Plenty of players are taking the max, but then feeling stuck.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he'll be a FA in 2025, and sign a new contract with some team. I don't think Cleveland will trade him before that.