• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 81 Oklahoma State 72

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV closes out the regular season today with a victory over the Cowboys of OSU by a score of 81-72. The Mountaineers took control of this game early in route to a slim 39-33 halftime lead. WV came out and hit 13 of their first 20 shots to start this contest and continued to it shoot well in the second half finishing the game 25-52 (48%). FT shooting might be the biggest reason for this win today as WV hits 23-30. Devin Williams made 14-15 from the line to lead the way. WV dominated the Cowboys on the glass by a 33-22 margin including 16 offensive rebounds. Both of the these teams were filling it up today as OSU goes 11-21 behind the arc and WV 8-20. But as in most WV wins this season, it was the defense that made the difference and it always does for this group of young men.

WV was led in scoring by Devin Williams who logs 22 points and 13 rebounds. Daxter Miles, Jr. has 15 while Adrian and Paige score 9 each. WV got 15 turnovers out of the Cowboys today but again commit almost as many as their opponent by turning it over 13 times.

So there ya have it--the conclusion to the 2014-15 Edition of Mountaineer Basketball. WV finishes the regular season with a 23-8 record and an 11-7 Big 12 Conference record. Were you surprised? I don't think anyone can be anything but surprised after the turmoil from last season. Many new faces, many Freshman, and the question of who will score the ball for WV. I think the strategy was well defined: If we have trouble scoring, then we need more attempts. That is exactly how WV won the games it did. The defense was so stifling that the resulting turnovers created more attempts. Gee, I wonder what would happen if this team started hitting a bunch of shots? It could propel itself deep into the NCAA tournament. WV has gotten better this season and I believe they are shooting it better which is a good sign heading into the tourney. Yet, the turnovers and shot selection at times are still hurting this team. Somehow, as Bobby Knight said today, "WV needs to take the Dumb out of its offense". I must agree because at this point of the season, that is what is preventing WV from blowing out teams. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your Country Road has taken you!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was driving to Mississippi today, so missed the game, glad to get the W!!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
23 wins? Yep, I am surprised (pleasantly of course) at that, especially after what we looked like last year. Williams is starting to come into his own, really looking better seemingly every game now. Anyone heard anything on Staten as far as conference or NCAA tourney? Will he be available? There have been some rumors that he may be done.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty bummed to see Tarik make a mistake and not eat clock near the end of the first half. WVU should have gone to the lockerroom with at least a 9 point lead. Nice to see the kids handle losing a big lead better than they did on Tuesday night.

I said a few days ago it was time for the JUCO's to step up, and both Phillip and Paige did well today. Hope Carter can get out of his funk. Not handling the PG responsibility that well. Maybe we see Tarik get more time filling this role. Dax has played really well. Macon is coming on strong. And Williams is growing as a force.

I read tonite that Staten may be done for the year, Paige said in an interview after the game that Wanny's injury was season ending. That would suck...

Looks like WVU gets Baylor on Thursday. Third time's a charm...

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO ONE wants to play us in the NCAA Tournament.... I mean NO ONE!