• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 77 Texas Tech 58

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WV Mountaineers continue to roll on into the Big 12 season by smothering TT in a dominating 19 point win. WV now moves to 18-3 on the season, 6-2 in the Big 12. Again, the WV defense was suffocating as the young Red Raiders committed 26 turnovers. The first half saw Robert Turner of TT score 18 points as the Red Raiders stayed close 37-31 at the half.

The 2nd half was ALL West Virginia as the press wore down TT and the Mountaineers end the game with 33 points off TT turnovers. WV was led in scoring by Devon Williams who scores 18 on 7-9 shooting, snags 8 rebounds, all while playing 25 minutes. Daxter Miles stepped up today and made 5-10 shots for 12 points while Staten and Paige score 11 and 10 points respectively.

In analyzing this game, one thing became perfectly clear, WV is a defensive juggernaut. Just as impressive was their ability to shut down Turner in the 2nd half, and I really mean shut down, as he failed to score. So that, in and of itself, is a very good defensive basketball team. They rotate well when they press, they rebound, and continuously hustle. So that leaves me to wonder: What would make WV a Final 4 team? I used to think Williams and Holton playing at a high level would do it. But now, I am convinced, Paige, Miles, Carter and Browne consistently knocking down 3's can do a considerable amount of damage when you get 20 + turnovers a game. Think about it because you essentially get another 1/2 of a possession when you knock down a 3. That would get us over the hump. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of us were worried how teams in the Big 12 would handle the press. As we've seen... none of them have handled it very well.

Then we became worried about how teams would fare after they saw it once...thinking the press would be less effective during the rematch. Both TCU and TT have shown us they committed more TO's in these rematches.

The intensity of the defense was high. I wish they brought that same level every game.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe that this group of athletes can achieve so much.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I still can't believe that this group of athletes can achieve so much."

Right now they are buying into the system. Players know there assignments and roles. So they are playing more as a team. If they can knock down some 3's, they become a deadly opponent which would make life in the paint easier for Mr. Williams and Mr. Holton. What this team needs now is a big win over Kansas. That would erase no doubt that WV is ready to compete for a Final 4 spot.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still can't believe that this group of athletes can achieve so much.

Great coaching and team chemistry trump "talent" most times, what many people fail to understand that the difference between a high rated HS senior and a low rated one is more to do with the coaching they have received than the kids talent. These kids are buying what Huggins is selling, and they play as a team.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a food for thought factoid:

WVU has 10 wins away from the WVU Coliseum so far this year, the most combined road/neutral wins of any school in the country.

Good to know before heading into a hornets nest at Oklahoma.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a food for thought factoid:

WVU has 10 wins away from the WVU Coliseum so far this year, the most combined road/neutral wins of any school in the country.

Good to know before heading into a hornets nest at Oklahoma.

Huggy recalled during the 2010 year that WVU was not afraid to go into any team's house to play. That playing WVU became a big deal to opponents.

Heard recently that the ticket for the ISU game in Ames has become the highest priced ticket of the year for ISU.

Have to think the beat down WVU have OU last month will resonate with the Sooner fans tomorrow...

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a defensive powerhouse and in most cases simply smothers their opponents offensive production, especially by hte 2nd half. In almost every case - every 12 opponent has experienced their season high in TO's against the WVU press, TT twice now.

What would truly make this team a Final 4 contender would be consistent offense. Too many nights they simply go cold and NO ONE can drop a bucket with any reliability. Luckily they have been fairly successful of late - shooting above their season average. Staten on the other hand continues to struggle (for him) on the floor and from the line. Not sure if he is playing through an injury or something is in his head - but he makes up for it with his D and ball movement.

Barring some late season meltdown, I think these guys can match my 7-4 prediction for these last 11 critical games. Maybe even my perfect storm 8-3 finish is within reach if they can keep the scoring droughts to a minimum. Very impressed with the team effort on display every game.