• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WV 86 TCU 85 OT

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV wins a squeaker in Morgantown as Dexter Miles, Jr. nails a miraculous shot to end regulation play and send the game to overtime. It was Miles again in OT who nailed 2 more 3 point shots to pull the Mountaineers back from the brink of defeat. After WV takes a brief lead in OT with 12 seconds or so to go, TCU goes the length of the floor and takes the lead back 85-84. Immediately after the bucket with about 3 seconds to go ,WV throws it the length of the floor and Jevon Carter get fouled at the rim with .9 on the clock. The Freshman from Chicago calmly sank both Free Throws and the rest will go down in the history books.

WV came out in this game prepared. You could tell they had been Coached up as they ran 2-3 nice out of bounds plays and scored while they concentrated on pounding the ball inside. Yet TCU was comfortable in packing a 2-3 Zone and letting WV clank shots. The Mountaineers did just that as they were 4-24 late in regulation from behind the arc. But WV continued to work the ball inside by passing it or penetrating with the ball. In doing so, they committed 14 turnovers and basically negated the 19 that TCU made. WV managed to get off 71 shots tonight, 16 more than TCU. WV needed everyone of them on this night.

WV was led in scoring by 18 points apiece by Staten & Devon Williams. Staton has 12 assists to go along with his points with Williams snags 12 rebounds. Holton played more minutes tonight than he has all year even though he fouled again in OT. Holton responds with 15 points 3 blocks, 3 steals, and 8 rebounds. Miles chips in with 10 big points. TCU was led by Kyan Anderson with 22 points. This guy was the real deal and remember the Diehard told ya so. Bar none, the best point guard in this league. No question this kid plays at the next level and if he gets bigger and stronger--he could be a household name in the NBA.

So what do we draw from this game? I think we have to improve more. We have to shoot better and make better decisions. You don't have to shoot 50% to win but you can't turn it over 14 times either. WV is very lucky to win this game but you still have the give the team an A for Effort as they never quit. Another observation was seeing Chase Conner and Billy Dee Williams in the game. Chase has a deadly 3 point shot and Billy Dee is very athletic so both look like they deserve some minutes. I guess the old cliché "A Win is a win" never had more meaning until today. I know this, as a referee, they would have had a hard time getting a foul call with .9 seconds left from me. I was very surprised to see that whistle. I guess the walk he missed right before it was still on his mind. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished watching my recording of the game. My daughter's high school girl's game was out of town this afternoon.

WVU fared better than her team. My son sent me text messages while I was at her game to keep me updated. Looked forward to watching the exciting ending only to see the 30 minutes I had added to the recording time wasn't enough. Recording ended at start of OT.

Relieved WVU got the win. Looks like a couple of kids are in Huggy's dog house. Their defense was sorely missed...

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed that Paige, Phillips, and Watkins didn't play...Are they in Hugg's doghouse?

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2%20ACTION%20THE%20FOUL.jpg

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question Carter looked like he was fouled. It takes a lot of balls to call a foul in that situation. That game will go down as one of the most outrageous finishes to a Mountaineer Basketball game in the teams history. Dexter Miles Jr. proved something to me in this game---get him the ball when you need a bucket. He is a gamer, a shooter, and guy who wont quit. Paige and Phillips saw no time today. Wander what that was about?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a player and a coach… you want the refs to be consistent in their calls.

Diehard, I agree with you… if I'm a ref… I don't know that I call it a foul on Carter's layup at the end of OT. The refs didn't call the foul on Williams' shot at the end of reg.

Both were fouls…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, this team keeps you interested in the game, dont they. If these kids could shoot, this would be a top 5 team!! I love the effort i see, love the defense. These guys play old school ball!