• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: KU 76 WVU 69 OT

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you play a team in their house that is 189-9 in their last 198 games, you probably don't expect to win. You don't expect to win playing inexperienced Freshman either. Yet, in the 1st half of this game, this WV team had an 18 point lead and was dominating the game. With Gary Browne and Jawan Staten out with injuries, Carter handled the point and WV got enough scoring to forge a 40-26 halftime lead. Then WV got complacent and stopped attacking as the lead was whittled away and tied by the Jayhawks in the closing seconds of regulation. Once the game went into overtime, WV had lost the momentum and then Adrian, Williams, and Paige were also lost with 5 fouls. The dream upset was just that--a dream.

WV should have won this game with the offensive rebounding (21) and overall board dominance as it outrebounded KU 46-34. But it was the TO's (22) and FT shooting (16-28) that led to WV's demise. Miles, JR. has a career night scoring 23 points as WV makes 9 3's on this evening. Phillip played well and collected 13 points while Holton hit some big 3's and tallied 12pts.

This game was a 2hr & 50 minute emotional roller coaster filled some very exciting play. Even though WV lost this game, they showed a tremendous amount of resiliency to compete without its 2 senior guards. Those senior guards were sorely missed from the 4 minute mark in regulation until the end of this game because WV needed to clear the floor and get offense. But I was still proud of how this young team competed. I don't see Carter, Miles. Jr. or Phillip as Freshman anymore. Tonight they became Sophomores as they showed great poise at times in this game. Somewhere down the line, I must believe that this game will pay dividends to the future of this program. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your snowy road has taken you! Drive carefully!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Team gave it all they had imo and blew it in the end by not hitting free throws. This team could give teams fits in the tourney if the matchups are right. Im proud of the way the pups played tonight, that place was rockin and those fans were ready to crown their team early and party for the rest of the game, WVU didn't let that happen....til late :tsk:.

Oh and BTW, the "officiating" in this league proved to me yet again that it is utter garbage :poke:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great effort, every game seeing the young guys gets me more excited for the next few years. Their youth showed down the stretch, the inbounds play where we threw it out the other end was well scripted, yet no one went deep, yet again WVU misses free throws, why cant we shoot? Turnovers in the last two minutes were very costly, and the officiating sucked again. Hated the loss, but it was a great effort and getting the young guys minutes in that place will pay off, this team can go deep in the tourney with the right matchups.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst loss of the season. They gave that game away more than Kansas won the game(Refs did not help either) I'd rather get blown out than see my team choke it away. FT shooting down the stretch was absolutely horrible, that is just one of those things they are going to have to put the time into this off season to fix.

Good thing about it, we are so freaking young this is one of the L's that helps teams get better. They proved they can play with a Kansas type team on the road now build on it.

Huggs has done a great job this season, my hats off to him...now lets finish strong.

Any word on Staten and Brown moving forward?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and BTW, the "officiating" in this league proved to me yet again that it is utter garbage :poke:

OMG yes....Kansas got touch fouls, WVU no blood no foul. I was furious.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When we get JaWan and Gary back...

WATCH OUT!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to the game, I thought... man watching the boys play tonite is gonna be painful. But, what a surprise... especially the first 30 minutes of the game. Then the painful part came. A different pain... as we blew a chance for a special win.

Missed FT's really hurt. So, did the disparity in FT opportunities. I think KU had something like 40+ attempts.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all may have seen this Vine. One of those WTF calls from last nite...

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can sum up the loss with this simple stat: Freethrows WVU 57.1% (16-28), KU 79.1% (34-43)
** Note that Kansas got 15 more calls in a tough fought contest?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that this foul on Miles occurred with WVU up 8 and under 2 min. to go.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can sum up the loss with this simple stat: Freethrows WVU 57.1% (16-28), KU 79.1% (34-43)
** Note that Kansas got 15 more calls in a tough fought contest?

Unfortunately, fouls and free throws dictate many CFB games. Bottom line: you need to make the free throws to win.

Good outing though. I was worried about this team next year without Staton. Looks like we will be just fine.