• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The DieHard Basketball PreSeason Breakdown

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its mid-October and the sound of snickers screeching on a basketball floor rings throughout my head. So its time to talk about what WVU brings to the table in the 2013-14 basketball season after an overall 13-19 record and Big 12 6-12 record last year. Certainly, improvement awaits right? Well, I think so for many different reasons but mainly the distracters and cancers are gone. Murray, Aaron Brown, Hinds, and Miles are gone and the newcomers all seem to have a much better work ethic and attitude. Last year, the squad did not possess a "team" attitude. Their were individuals who were more concerned about their own personal goals. That is now gone.

So who and what changes have occurred? Well, there are 6 newcomers to this squad not including a few walk-ons trying to make the squad. Here is a break down of each newcomer:

1) Nathan Adrian ----Outstanding perimeter shooter - Adds much-needed size to WVU’s perimeter
Quality high school player from the state of West Virginia High School
- Averaged 20.5 points, 13.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.8 blocked shots per game as a senior at Morgantown High
2)Rémi Dibo ---Gives WVU outstanding size and perimeter shooting from the wing position
- Size and length will help on defense and on the boards - Combines excellent size with an ability to drop shots Casper College - Averaged 18.2 points, connected on 41.9 percent of his 3-point attempts, averaged 4.9 rebounds and shot 82.7 percent from the free throw line at Casper College
3)Jonathan Holton--Is a prototype Big 12 forward - Can really score off the bounce and play with his back to the basket - Stretches defenses to make 3-pointers - Terrific offensive rebounder - Gives WVU immediate help on the front line Palm Beach State Community College (2012-13) - Averaged 17.5 points and 14.1 rebounds per game - Shot 39.6 percent from 3-point range
4)Elijah Macon--Has tremendous rebounding abilities - Has the ability to change and alter shots inside - One of the premier power forwards in the country-- McDonald’s All-American nominee
5)Brandon Watkins -- Adds much-needed size to the front court - Gives the Mountaineers another shot blocker - Has the ability to run the floor - Will enhance WVU’s transition game. Earned Georgia Class AAAA All-State Second Team honors as a senior at Grady High, Averaged 19 points and 14 rebounds per game. ESPN ranked him as the 12th-best center in the 2012-13 class
6)Devin Williams -- Brings a great amount of size to the front line - Has unusual amount of physicality for a player coming out of high school - Tremendous rebounder and interior player - Won’t have to make the physical adjustments that most freshmen have to make. Averaged 15.2 points and 10.5 rebounds per game at Withrow High in Cincinnati, Ranked as the 11th-best center by Rivals

So what do we make of all the guys and what will this team become? Huggs talks about being a better perimeter shooting team and a better transition team but I see size in the paint. Not sure if Macon is eligible yet but that should be coming or has. I will trek to Motown this weekend and get the inside scoop while watching the intrasquad scrimmage tonight. Off the top of my head, I think Ribo is a lights out shooter and we will see that early on. I also think Adrian can shoot and has size to go with it. I think he has a big upside in Morgantown. Keep an eye out for him to be special. Any news, comments or thoughts, post 'em up Mountaineer fans--the season is almost here.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holton has not been cleared to play. Huggs has indicated he may be redshirted.

Macon will be redshirted. He had wrist surgery and there are still some issues with it, but academically he has not been cleared by the NCAA either.

WVU will have 9 scholarship players + 4 invited walk-ons this year.

Gonna be another long year....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, Adrian has been shooting the rock really well. And while he is young and his body is still immature, apparently he has gotten bigger and stronger as a result of the summer strength and conditioning program.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the assessment DieHard. I always enjoy your BBall threads

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as a quick assessment from what I am seeing.

Early season should be dicey. Little experinece. Who's the point, and who can come off the bench and fill that position.

A lot of size in the recruits. That's good. An inside-out outside shooter is a must in the college game; seems as we have one in Nathan Adrian. The question is, can he defend, or is he a liability on the defensive end?

Another question is will there be some addition through subtraction. I think the loss of Aaric Murray is a BIG BOOST to us. I was not a very big fan....heck, I couldn't stand him! He was a stat-anomoly, good stats, but you watch him play, and you know he hurt the TEAM and was a big reason we could not gel.

Can Hugs have the patience? He can coach, no doubt. But after last season, and starting this one with some L's early, will he be able to see the end product? Truthfully, I think he can. But it is a question.

Can the players stay hopeful until 2014? I think if we cross that Christmas Break threshhold still hopeful this team could be like the like the 2004 team, which eventually made the NIT and had some key wins in the middle part of that conference schedule (Georgetown, Boston College, and Villanova; all of whom were ranked at the time we played them) The year after that same core group became the group who made the Elite 8 under John Beilein. I think that highly of what these kids can accomplish..... just not this season. But I do think this team is capable of 16-18 wins like that 2004 bunch....this season.

Just my thoughts on this one. Look forward to DieHard's breakdown every postgame! Glad we can still get these!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read some articles about last night's scrimmage. Shooting was terrible. Read that a lot of fans left before it was over.

Huggy tried to put a positive spin... saying WVU is better than what they showed Friday night. Doesn't know why they shot so poorly... they have been shooting it well in practice... making the open shots.

In the end, this game meant nothing to how the season will unfold. However, when WVU fans are eager to see some glimpse of promise for the new season, this exhibition did nothing to help calm their fears.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. From what I saw, it will be a rough and rocky road for the basketball season in Morgantown. Improvement from every player is a necessity to compete in the Big 12. Holton is a beast but may not be eligible. 7-36 from 3 point land for both the Blue and Gold teams didn't impress me at all. If you can't shoot it from there in a scrimmage game, why would we believe you can do it on the road in Kansas or Okla. St? I really didn't leave the game with any impressions that "wowed" me. I guess we will have to wait and see who steps up and leads. FYI-Dibo is out with a meniscus tear and wont play for 3 weeks. That will hurt. So, lets look at the positive side--we are undefeated!!

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this season has to be better. Even if the record isn't as good, I think this team will be a better TEAM. Last year, there was no team - there were a bunch of wanna-be superstars who destroyed the fabric of this team and undermined the coach and ruined the season for the rest of the team that wanted to be on a team - as well as fore the WVU fans, whom most of these primadonnas despised and ridiculed.

So we may not win more games in the long haul - but I expect an actual team on the floor that is at least trying to follow the coaches plan and are working together to be the best team they can be. I call that an improvement.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
always love your assessment Die Hard. I rarely watch games but rely upon your breakdowns for information.

I did watch the Fairmont State game and I really wonder how Huggins and college basketball will take the new rules. Huggs is a defensive guy and it looks like good defense has been banned. With the new rules, it looks to me that the best teams will be the ones that can drive to the basket, make the foul shots after the fouls and make 3 point shots consistently.

How do you think the new rules will affect Huggy and this team?

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
always love your assessment Die Hard. I rarely watch games but rely upon your breakdowns for information.

I did watch the Fairmont State game and I really wonder how Huggins and college basketball will take the new rules. Huggs is a defensive guy and it looks like good defense has been banned. With the new rules, it looks to me that the best teams will be the ones that can drive to the basket, make the foul shots after the fouls and make 3 point shots consistently.

How do you think the new rules will affect Huggy and this team?

I agree with you to a point. Yes Huggs is a defensive oriented Coach but there is a lot of new players that will have to learn the new system. I think this new rule will force more teams to play zone and trapping zones versus man to man.