• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Curse of the Big Drive

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that whenever you hit your longest drive you've ever hit on a hole, you bogey the fuckin' thing?

Well the other day I crushed my driver and found the back of the green on our downhill par 4 10th. Didn't hit my chip shot well and left myself a 10 footer for birdie.

I made the fuckin' putt. It's the first time I recall ever scoring off my biggest drive!

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that whenever you hit your longest drive you've ever hit on a hole, you bogey the fuckin' thing?

Well the other day I crushed my driver and found the back of the green on our downhill par 4 10th. Didn't hit my chip shot well and left myself a 10 footer for birdie.

I made the fuckin' putt. It's the first time I recall ever scoring off my biggest drive!

pressure pressure pressure

You hit some pedestrian 240 yard drive ...you walk up to it and hit it.

But the bomb you hit, you are the last to go in your group, and in your head all you keep saying is you don't want to ruin this drive and you over think it.

Analysis paralysis ...next thing you know you are a full club length short.

Been there, done that.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^

Yup!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But the bomb you hit, you are the last to go in your group, and in your head all you keep saying is you don't want to ruin this drive and you over think it.

Been there, done that.

I've bladed more damn approaches over the green or chunked it 50 yds (when I needed 75 yds) after I've nailed a drive.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Been there, done that.

Similar to one time back in high school during the state championship I hit what was at the time my best front 9 ever, was in the zone. What happens? Fall apart on the back 9 because all I could think about was not ruining what I did on the front 9.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Been there, done that.

I must be the only one on the internet that thinks 240 is a pretty good drive... for me.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the golf gods forbade hitting two good shots in a row.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have a driveable par 4, the 8th hole...it plays about 260-270 to the front depending on the tee, but it suits my ball flight so I hit driver on this hole routinely. They water the apron all the time I guess, because it's rare you can run one up...you gotta fly it very close to the front of the green to get the bounce forward.

Well, with a good drive, I'm normally close to that apron, pitch on and maybe 3 out of 10 times I get a birdie...this one time I hit the apron and somehow got it to kick forward onto the green...30' for eagle....I 3 jacked it for par.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must be the only one on the internet that thinks 240 is a pretty good drive... for me.

hahahah, TBH, I really struggled with the number to use in that sentence.

kap1959

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25yrs ago I would have been pissed at a 240 drive. Not anymore, I would be more than happy now.

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25yrs ago I would have been pissed at a 240 drive. Not anymore, I would be more than happy now.
Me too, I'll take 240 in the fairway all day long. Most 4 pars that I play are in the 350-390 range. That leaves anywhere from 110-150 approach shot. I'm realistically 50/50 from there to land green in regulation. I have a tendency to tug my approach shots to the left. ( That's what she said)

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah, I'm pretty much right there with you.

I once got on a simulator that was telling me I was hitting it 280, but I'm not sure I believe it. It was at a Golfsmith, and I figured they were jacking yardages up to make a sale, because I was hitting several different drivers off the rack and they were all showing about the same distance.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know. They need to translate peoples driving distance claims on the internet to throwing a baseball claim. Reading some of the golf boards it would be like everybody claiming they can throw a 95 mph fastball consistently. When I'm on these days 240-250 is the best I can ever do and if the back starts acting up it's less. What's the point in playing golf if you're limping off the course at the end of the round because you got a point to prove on the tee box?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this before but they need a standard ball for the tour because some the distances they get now have basically broken the courses they play. I'm an older guy and the holes they used to have to shape shots around dog are now just blasted over by half the field. Tiger mentioned it a couple of years back and everybody was saying "yeah, he's just bitching because he's older and can't hit it as far". I think the bigger factor was he was looking to get into course design and see how much of a nightmare it is accommodating for the ever increasing yardage off the tee.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this before but they need a standard ball for the tour because some the distances they get now have basically broken the courses they play. I'm an older guy and the holes they used to have to shape shots around dog are now just blasted over by half the field. Tiger mentioned it a couple of years back and everybody was saying "yeah, he's just bitching because he's older and can't hit it as far". I think the bigger factor was he was looking to get into course design and see how much of a nightmare it is accommodating for the ever increasing yardage off the tee.

Merion proved that old golf short courses can still test the best players in the world. On the ball. The USGA has already laid out the max spec for a legal golf ball.

I can see the PGAT being able to say we want a uniform tour spec ball much like MLB governs their ball, NFL, NBA, MLS, etc. Not sure how that would work in non PGAT events which includes all 4 majors.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played with youngest son and a friend of ours yesterday. The dumbass friend insisted we pay from the tips (6900 yds). I'm 66, I have no business playing from any tips. Plus the wind was blowing 25-35 miles an hour. Seemed to be in our faces all day. Only parred 5 holes, shot 96 ..... 6400 yds is about my limit these days.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a driveable par 4, the 8th hole...it plays about 260-270 to the front depending on the tee, but it suits my ball flight so I hit driver on this hole routinely. They water the apron all the time I guess, because it's rare you can run one up...you gotta fly it very close to the front of the green to get the bounce forward.

Well, with a good drive, I'm normally close to that apron, pitch on and maybe 3 out of 10 times I get a birdie...this one time I hit the apron and somehow got it to kick forward onto the green...30' for eagle....I 3 jacked it for par.

Done that with the 8th hole as well on the course (9 holer) my parents play at... I obviously try to drive the green when it reality there is absolutely no need to. I've driven it about 8 times.... Birdied once.... boogied it a few times as well since I sucked at putting. Heavily depressing!

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played with youngest son and a friend of ours yesterday. The dumbass friend insisted we pay from the tips (6900 yds). I'm 66, I have no business playing from any tips. Plus the wind was blowing 25-35 miles an hour. Seemed to be in our faces all day. Only parred 5 holes, shot 96 ..... 6400 yds is about my limit these days.

I don't get shamed into playing from the blues or blacks any more. I know what I can/can't hit, and I'm going to play from the reds. You wanna hit from back there, go ahead.

Yeah, and I also use a ladies' 3-wood, anybody wanna fight about it?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seldom use my driver on most par 4 holes. I only use it on longer Par 4 and Par 5 holes.