• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Coaching Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the negativity? What don't you like about him as a coach?

No negativity. It's just that there was a lot of fighting in him getting recognition in Salt Lake. Apparently, there was a conflict between him and Larry Miller. And that was twisted to discuss race relations in Utah. I do not know enough about him, but I hope that he is not getting a second interview to make up for it. Larry Miller before he passed away made up with him and retired his number.

In all honesty, I am against all coaching candidates except for John Stockton. If and when they pick someone else, I will have a period of time trying to figure out what I think about them. I really, really believe in him and I feel that this is an opportunity that will never come again. We will be stuck with another coach and PR will prevent us from moving on.

Do I think he would be better if he had been an assistant coach before? Yes, no doubt. However, I do not think that we can just wait for him to have that experience. I do not think it would be fair to have him as an assistant under the newly hired coach here. Either the new coach would work out and we just wasted his time (or he leaves to be a head coach after getting experience here) or the new coach has pressure to coach differently because he has a legend behind him . And I don't think he would go anywhere else to assist, only HC, if ever.

If Stockton is not coach here I want to get a "no" answer from the horse's mouth before they sign anyone, even Jerry freakin' Sloan. I do not want us to hurry up and find somebody and get no news on Stockton's thoughts. It bugs tge hell out of me that we pulled the trigger on Corbin in his extension a year too early and missed out on Hornacek. I hope thst was not an attempt to say we aren't racist or afraid to fire because of it. Not alleging anything, just saying I hope it wasn't that.

Nuraman, capture this post. You will likely never find me posting something this "passionate" unless Alex Smith wins a SB. We need to hire Stockton or fail trying. I don't think we do get him, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No negativity. It's just that there was a lot of fighting in him getting recognition in Salt Lake. Apparently, there was a conflict between him and Larry Miller. And that was twisted to discuss race relations in Utah. I do not know enough about him, but I hope that he is not getting a second interview to make up for it. Larry Miller before he passed away made up with him and retired his number.

In all honesty, I am against all coaching candidates except for John Stockton. If and when they pick someone else, I will have a period of time trying to figure out what I think about them. I really, really believe in him and I feel that this is an opportunity that will never come again. We will be stuck with another coach and PR will prevent us from moving on.

Do I think he would be better if he had been an assistant coach before? Yes, no doubt. However, I do not think that we can just wait for him to have that experience. I do not think it would be fair to have him as an assistant under the newly hired coach here. Either the new coach would work out and we just wasted his time (or he leaves to be a head coach after getting experience here) or the new coach has pressure to coach differently because he has a legend behind him . And I don't think he would go anywhere else to assist, only HC, if ever.

If Stockton is not coach here I want to get a "no" answer from the horse's mouth before they sign anyone, even Jerry freakin' Sloan. I do not want us to hurry up and find somebody and get no news on Stockton's thoughts. It bugs tge hell out of me that we pulled the trigger on Corbin in his extension a year too early and missed out on Hornacek. I hope thst was not an attempt to say we aren't racist or afraid to fire because of it. Not alleging anything, just saying I hope it wasn't that.

Nuraman, capture this post. You will likely never find me posting something this "passionate" unless Alex Smith wins a SB. We need to hire Stockton or fail trying. I don't think we do get him, though.

Thanks.

I agree, it's not necessary to be an assistant. The good coaches can still learn quickly on the job.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Utah Jazz are no longer considering Jim Boylen for their head coaching job, according to sources.

Boylen was previously viewed as a top candidate and is friends with Dennis Lindsey.

Quin Snyder, Alvin Gentry, Adrian Griffin and a mystery candidate remain the leading candidates for the Jazz, who have kept the fourth coach tight-lipped.

Not sure if true, but please be Stockton. Why a secret? Perhaps respectful of Stockton and because if they had a leak that they were interviewing him and didn't hire him, there would be possibly more pressure on them and the next coach, more than otherwise. It could be someone still on contract, though. Someone suggested Messina.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off-season Odds and Ends | jazzfanatical

One. Here’s an excerpt from the first interview Tyrone Corbin has done since being let go (as far as I know) where he talks about how he viewed his role as coach:

I think it’s a leadership role, father figure, authority figure. Modern day athletes seem to have a harder time with respect for authority and how to deal with being told “No”. They have a harder time dealing with what’s best for the team and not what best for “me”. And at the pro level it’s really difficult because that may be the first time they have heard it.

I have had to tell them “I don’t care what’s best for you I have to do what’s best for the team.” They have to accept that while they are making a lot of money doing it…It’s an interesting dynamic. The coaches have to play that father role a lot more now than when I was a player.

We grew up respecting any adult – 21 and older that was an adult. We had to listen to that adult. They were the grown up you were the kid. Shut up and listen. Period. It’s a different animal now. It’s a whole different approach to be able to communicate with kids and reach them without compromising who you are and what you stand for in the process. These kids are used to breaking those barriers down to get to where they want it to be which may not be the best thing for anybody.

Two. Corbin was also asked about his future plans:

It depends on how much longer I want to work. I’ve always enjoyed coming back to Columbia to live. I’ve always planned on making this our permanent residence. I don’t know what God has for me next. We’ll just have to wait and see.

I’m in a good place now. We still have a lot of opportunities – in the business and out of the business. I still enjoy coaching. I look forward to still doing that a little bit. I’m open. (Momentum)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Stockton is not coach here I want to get a "no" answer from the horse's mouth before they sign anyone, even Jerry freakin' Sloan. I do not want us to hurry up and find somebody and get no news on Stockton's thoughts. It bugs the hell out of me that we pulled the trigger on Corbin in his extension a year too early and missed out on Hornacek. I hope thst was not an attempt to say we aren't racist or afraid to fire because of it. Not alleging anything, just saying I hope it wasn't that.

Damn family - the reason why he is not our coach. Good to hear it from him, though.

1320 AM KFAN - Powered by FANS - John Stockton with Monty In The Morning

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
868080434.gif

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raise your hand if you could ever see Corbin do that?

Ok, unfair. Different styles.

Raise your hand if you could ever see Corbin do anything else in his style to win that game?

Ok, not nice to pick on Corbin. As Locke or someone said, Corbin's job was gone the day Dennis Lindsey was hired.