• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Coaching Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to hold off for now on talking about Corbin. Don't feel like it right now, but here's this:

Gregg Popovich of San Antonio Spurs says players must play coach on court - ESPN

Gregg Popovich, famously curt and sarcastic, revealed one of the secrets to the San Antonio Spurs' success in a moment of candid reflection Tuesday, saying empowering his players to communicate on the court as he does during timeouts is key to getting them to make the right decisions throughout a game.

Popovich, speaking to media before a typically efficient 122-101 rout of the host Cleveland Cavaliers, said he often mines the "competitiveness and the character of the player" in shaping them into confident, productive components of the Spurs' offense.

"Sometimes in timeouts I'll say, 'I've got nothing for you. What do you want me to do? We just turned it over six times. Everybody's holding the ball. What else do you want me to do here? Figure it out,' " Popovich said, according to the San Antonio Express-News, not long before the Spurs used 14 3-pointers and a season-high 39 assists to dispatch the Cavs. "And I'll get up and walk away. Because it's true. There's nothing else I can do for them. I can give them some bulls---, and act like I'm a coach or something, but it's on them."

Popovich added that the psychological boost the Spurs get from open lines of communication "engenders a feeling that they can actually be in charge."

"I think competitive character people don't want to be manipulated constantly to do what one individual wants them to do," Popovich said, according to the Express-News. "It's a great feeling when players get together and do things as a group. Whatever can be done to empower those people."

The Spurs, despite their aging core of stars in Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, took the Miami Heat to seven games in the NBA Finals last season and are again in position to make a deep run in the playoffs.

After Tuesday's win, the Spurs sat in second place in the Western Conference at 44-16, 1½ games behind the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Popovich said his veterans still benefit from his direction but that throwing up his hands is often the best option.

"If they're holding the ball, they're holding the ball," Popovich said. "I certainly didn't tell them to hold the ball. Just like, if they make five in a row, I didn't do that. If they get a great rebound, I didn't do that. It's a players' game and they've got to perform. The better you can get that across, the more they take over and the more smoothly it runs.

"Then you interject here or there. You call a play during the game at some point or make a substitution, that kind of thing that helps the team win. But they basically have to take charge or you never get to the top of the mountain."

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting, interesting and entertaining quotes.

Also, this is the first I've read of this. So, even though I read a lot of different sports outlets, this place gave me something I hadn't found elsewhere. It's good memories like this which make this a positive and special place to post/chat/read.

Also, I do usually find good things I learn about the Jazz on here, but this is one of the times I learned something insightful about another team on here too.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find the old thread about Lindsey.

Here he is, though.

2ike43c.jpg

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corbin played the right guys minutes.

He is ok, but they can do better. I would go for Hollins, or Byron Scott.

Or take a flyer on a different young coach. I liked Monty Williams offense this year, when healthy.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corbin played the right guys minutes.

He is ok, but they can do better. I would go for Hollins, or Byron Scott.

Or take a flyer on a different young coach. I liked Monty Williams offense this year, when healthy.

No way to Byron Scott. I like the Jazz and think he could be a good coach, but no way. As a player he was coattail who said Malone had no heart.

My bottom five basketball people are Byron Scott, Mark Jackson, Derek Fisher (I think it is mandatory to explain that he moved farther away from his daughter's treatment to play for a contender when he used his daughter's treatment to get out of our contract - no I wouldn't boo him if he had just left for his daughter. I wouldn't boo him either way. I just don't root for him.). Honorable mentions are Deron Williams for running out Sloan and Michael Jordan for pushing off. Just beat us in seven, no pushing off. Although I am not a fan and believe Malone is the best power forward, Duncan would never be on the list of disliked players. Don't really care for Scottie Pippen, but I'm not a hater.

Yes, I only listed three players, I am reserving the last two for when I decide to dislike them. I don't know who they are yet. For now Derek Harper (?) and Ronnie Seikelly (sp.?) for refusing to be traded here. John Amaechi could be there for his comments about Sloan and not caring about basketball. I generally dislike Denver for them being in our division and how they treated Andre Miller. I don't like the decision to bring Jeremy Lin off the bench. I don't care if it's a good decision, I just want to see more. But no hate here.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way to Byron Scott. I like the Jazz and think he could be a good coach, but no way. As a player he was coattail who said Malone had no heart.

My bottom five basketball people are Byron Scott, Mark Jackson, Derek Fisher (I think it is mandatory to explain that he moved farther away from his daughter's treatment to play for a contender when he used his daughter's treatment to get out of our contract - no I wouldn't boo him if he had just left for his daughter. I wouldn't boo him either way. I just don't root for him.). Honorable mentions are Deron Williams for running out Sloan and Michael Jordan for pushing off. Just beat us in seven, no pushing off. Although I am not a fan and believe Malone is the best power forward, Duncan would never be on the list of disliked players. Don't really care for Scottie Pippen, but I'm not a hater.

Yes, I only listed three players, I am reserving the last two for when I decide to dislike them. I don't know who they are yet. For now Derek Harper (?) and Ronnie Seikelly (sp.?) for refusing to be traded here. John Amaechi could be there for his comments about Sloan and not caring about basketball. I generally dislike Denver for them being in our division and how they treated Andre Miller. I don't like the decision to bring Jeremy Lin off the bench. I don't care if it's a good decision, I just want to see more. But no hate here.

Thanks.

As for Andre Miller, if I look at all of the years he played for Denver, I think he had more good things to say about the organization, than bad.

Most of his time there was good, they just had a falling out at the end.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greedy bastard.

Gregg Popovich of San Antonio Spurs is NBA Coach of the Year - ESPN

I thought it would go to the third place getter because Popovich had two already. Wanted Jeff Hornacek.

WHY COUKDNT THEY HAVE FIRED CORBIN LAST YEAR AND HIRED HORNACEK?!!!

I want Stockton, now. I don't care if he's any good. I don't care if he wants to coach. Bring him in. I can just see him modestly saying he didn't think he'd be any good after he wins his third championship as a coach. He'll tell us how he turned the job down at first but later was coaxed into it. It would be fun.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former coach: Former Golden State Warriors assistant fired for secretly recording conversations - ESPN

(Fictional exchange. He hasn't responded to the report/accusations yet in the affirmative or in denial.)

Assistant: I wasn't recording. I have tape to prove it.

Huh? Wouldn't that contradict you?

Assistant: These tapes are all audio recordings of Dawson's Creek and ****o.

What's your point? These could be different tapes.

Assistant: What grown man would admit that if it weren't true?

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assistant: These tapes are all audio recordings of Dawson's Creek

It's ok, you were watching it with your kids and enjoying quality family television.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerr was GM of the Suns from 2007-2010 - how did he do? Obviously, he's not there any more, but that a superficial judgment. Do you know how he did?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was ok. But others didn't like the trade for Shaq.

IMO, it wasn't the trade for Shaq that hurt, it was the decline of Barbosa, Diaw, and softness of Stoudemire.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is D'Antoni an option? A good or bad option? Would he come here? Do we have his personnel? We are shooting more threes than in the past. I want Trey Burke to get more assists - something his system can lead to. Look at the Lakers leader in assists (other than Nash) in the second half at least.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, let's get him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Jackson doesn't know what he's talking about.

Utah Jazz: Golden State coach Mark Jackson causes stir with comments about John Stockton | Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — Mark Jackson rankled some Utah Jazz fans on Monday when word started to spread on Twitter about a backhanded compliment he gave John Stockton.

NBA.com writer David Aldridge explored some of the all-time best backcourt combos to evaluate whether or not Golden State's coach was correct in calling Splash Brothers Steph Curry and Klay
Thompson “the best-shooting backcourt tandem in the history of the game.”

Aldridge listed multiple top-tier shooting backcourts: Portland’s Clyde Drexler and Terry Porter; Mo Cheeks and Andrew Toney of the Sixers; Oscar Robertson and Jon McGlocklin of the Royals/Bucks; Vern Fleming and Reggie Miller of the Pacers; Mark Price and Craig Ehlo of the Cavs; Jerry West and Gail Goodrich of the Lakers; and, of course, Stockton and Jeff Hornacek of the Jazz.

The case for and against those duos was made in the interesting article, but Jackson, a teammate of Stockton's in 2002-03, insisted it’s a moot point.

"Whatever you want to rank 'shooting,' my two guys are the greatest shooting, jump-shooting tandem, that this league has ever seen," Jackson told NBA.com. "And that's not even close. And I'm not guessing. I've watched all the greats, and it's with all due respect."

Turns out, Jackson had more respect for Hornacek’s shooting than Stockton’s.

"Hornacek -- great shooter. John Stockton -- good to very good shooter. Not a great shooter,” Jackson said. “Don't get me wrong. He was an all-time great player. But John Stockton would not be considered a great shooter."

Here’s how the four players stack up in some basic shooting statistics:

Thompson (three years): 43.6 percent from the field; 40.9 percent from 3-point range; 83.1 percent on free throws.

Curry (five years): 46.2 percent from the field; 44.0 percent from 3-point range; 89.5 percent on free throws.

Stockton (19 years): 51.5 percent from the field; 38.4 percent from 3-point range; 82.6 percent on free throws.

Hornacek (14 years): 49.6 percent from the field; 40.3 percent from 3-point range; 87.7 percent on free throws.

Just for fun comparison’s sake, check out the effective field goal percentage from basketball-reference.com:

Stockton, Jackson’s version of a “good to very good shooter,” had a stellar eFG percentage of .546 over nearly two decades. Incidentally, that is the same mark the sweet-shooting Curry has had since entering the league in 2010.

Hornacek tallied a .530 eFG percentage compared to .523 for Thompson in his third year.
“Steph can pull up off the dribble, in traffic. They're two of the better guys we've seen at those positions,” Hornacek recently told Aldridge. “But John and I could shoot it a little, too.”

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Jackson out as coach of Golden State Warriors - ESPN

Now, I can be okay with Warriors winning next year. I did not root for the Warriors in the last series because of Jackson and because Bogut was injured. Now, Jackson is gone and Bogut will hopefully be healthy for a majority of the games (he will never be "healthy"), I can be happy for them.