• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bunt

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its the correct response.

From an org that DARED to have a WOMAN on the field, championed the fight to get rid of blowing up the catcher, builds a roster of 26 (or 28) players who don't suck, and refuses to overpay good but not great players.

Yeah, we're pretty lucky.

Also, THIS GUY is my manager, and he's cool as phuk:

images-1.jpeg

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from what I gather our beloved former 3B, Matt Williams, took exception to the bunt?

Is that correct?

Love to see a clip or a gif of this.

And someone on FB finished off a post with, "..Will Clark blah blah blah...". WTF?

Did #22 complain? Has he said anything about it?

Even if he did I'd have to disagree with my #hero.

From what I've read the Madres were employing the shift, right? A hitter should bunt everytime the opposition does that.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So from what I gather our beloved former 3B, Matt Williams, took exception to the bunt?

Is that correct?

And someone on FB finished off a post with, "..Will Clark blah blah blah...". WTF?

From what I've read the Madres were employing the shift, right? A hitter should bunt everytime the opposition does that.

Found it:

I disagree with #22 ... oh well.

But he's correct, someone will probably get beaned and someone will probably bunt against us in the same situation.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is that correct?

Found it:

I disagree with #22 ... oh well.

But he's correct, someone will probably get beaned and someone will probably bunt against us in the same situation.
Both Williams and Clark are more old school than Kapler. I'd loved both of them as players but some of the "its the way its always been, thus it should always be" thinking does need to be gone in baseball. Does any of the players stop to think "why was this unwritten rule started? Do I know? And is it really necessary, other than 'baseball gods' . . . 'tradition' . . . 'I was told and/or expected to do it so these players should do so as well' nonsense?"
Tradition is well and good, I love the idea of things being passed down from generation to generation but that should not be the sole reason something is done. Some tradition is good and some is bad. Some started good but is no longer needed. Tradition for tradition's sake is dumb.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tradition is well and good, I love the idea of things being passed down from generation to generation but that should not be the sole reason something is done. Some tradition is good and some is bad. Some started good but is no longer needed. Tradition for tradition's sake is dumb.
In honor of Joc, Gabe, and tzill (and G-d):

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not only is there the team competitive issue of comebacks actually being a thing on occasion, so you gotta keep adding on until the 27th out is recorded, there is also the fact that Dubon is playing on borrowed time atm. He doesnt have the option of playing half-ass right now. He is trying to either keep his spot with the Giants or get a spot with another team. He needs to work on and/or show his talents. Being able to lay down a bunt single is a skill that can be very useful in today’s game.

As for Clark and or Williams getting bent over it, they come from a different time. I forgive them.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Williams and Clark are more old school than Kapler. I'd loved both of them as players but some of the "its the way its always been, thus it should always be" thinking does need to be gone in baseball. Does any of the players stop to think "why was this unwritten rule started? Do I know? And is it really necessary, other than 'baseball gods' . . . 'tradition' . . . 'I was told and/or expected to do it so these players should do so as well' nonsense?"
Agreed and that's how I feel about those stupid haka dances...

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about the dances some soccer teams do before their matches? I think they originate from islanders or New Zealand or something…

I think it’s the rugby team from New Zealand that does them before every game.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basebalk has been part of my life for about 65 years now. I have never really accepted these unwritten rules when it comes to a professional sport. Saw 'mercy rules in high school and in little league. As a professional sports athlete you almost always try and give 100 percent effort in 100% ofthe situations. In a game where the Giants were up by 10 runs did either Clark or Williams purposely try and make an out, not score on a base hit. Just don't see it happening.
Much easier to talk about throttling back than actually doing it. Also makes incentive rewards a little strange

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basebalk has been part of my life for about 65 years now. I have never really accepted these unwritten rules when it comes to a professional sport. Saw 'mercy rules in high school and in little league. As a professional sports athlete you almost always try and give 100 percent effort in 100% ofthe situations. In a game where the Giants were up by 10 runs did either Clark or Williams purposely try and make an out, not score on a base hit. Just don't see it happening.
Much easier to talk about throttling back than actually doing it. Also makes incentive rewards a little strange
It got really bad when Bob Brenley got all bent out of shape when a batter on the other team bunted for a base hat in the 7th (I think) of a 1-0 game where his pitcher was throwing a no-no.

Fuck you and fuck your no-no. “We” are trying to win this game!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mentioned elsewhere that if the situation happened exactly as Richardson describes (Shildt blowing up with no provocation of any kind) than he is an ass.

However, that makes zero sense to me. The story, as told, makes Shildt out to be a complete psychopath prone to Tourette’s-like outbursts at the drop of the hat. I think we would know that about him at this point if that were the case, and he would not be as successful in his post-playing career if that were the case.

Because I have a hard time believing Richardson’s story as it is (ignoring the racial issues), I can’t follow the rest of his story (the racial aspect).