• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The biggest boss that you seen thus far!

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to breath about better here, I read this article earlier. All she is stating is pretty much what her job duties are. She even said Jim is in charge of basketball decisions, she doesn't get involved on that side. She handles the buisness side wich we already know. Really nothing much to read here honestly or anything to get excited about.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's hawt.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took it that she's the head boss and that if he feel Jim isn't doing well enough, she'll step in.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as "Jim" is in charge of basketball operations, the Lakers are f*****.

Jeannie ought to step in right now and hire someone who knows what the hell they are doing and relegate Jim to the kiddies table.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is Jeannie can't step over Jim Buss, all of DR Buss's is children have trust ownership of the franchise that's the way their father left the franchise to them. That way nobody is above the other. The only way Jeannie can take over Jim's duties is if Jim steps down & willingly gives up his power.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers president and governor Jeanie Buss made it clear Thursday that the final say, the "final hammer" as Dr. Jerry Buss used to call it, lies with her now."I'm the boss," Jeanie Buss said in an hourlong interview on the "Mason and Ireland" show on ESPNLA 710 radio Thursday. "I am responsible ultimately for anything with the team and decisions that are made.

On major decisions, such as whether to offer her fiancée, Phil Jackson, a formal role, Jeanie Buss says she prefers to "build consensus" among her siblings and Lakers shareholders.

"In my position, I empower people that are in positions to do their jobs. [Executive vice president of player personnel] Jim Buss and [general manager] Mitch Kupchak are responsible for all basketball decisions. They are empowered to do that. My job is to make sure, as a boss, that I provide them the tools to do the job successfully. But it's up to them to make the day-to-day decisions on how they operate their area of the business."
Buss explained that the six Buss siblings own the team in trust and are its majority owners. Anschutz Entertainment Group, real estate developer Ed Roski and world-renowned doctor Patrick Soon-Shiong are the other investors.
The final say over Lakers operations and decisions belongs to her, however.
"Ultimately I am the one voice. I am that person. I'm at the top of the food chain," Buss said.

Jeanie is saying that she's ultimately the one in charge. From what I read in the above is that ultimately, if she doesn't like the way things are going, she can step in. Clearly, she can't take Jim's piece of the team from him, but if she doesn't like the decisions that he makes on the basketball side, she can overrule him.

She is smart and tries to build consensus among everyone on major decisions and I think it would take a lot for her to start overruling people, but it's clear that she is the final decision maker.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, TJF12, I think what you quoted is her power role in the organization. Taking Jim's piece of the franchise as you put it is a legal matter which would require lawyers and a buy-out of the collective trust as is stated. I don't think she can legally take anybody's piece in that context. AS you pointed out, she can render a final decision on anything to do with the franchise. That is clear.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She can render final decisions. However, she is operating things as her Dad intended which was having Jimmy in charge of basketball operations. Otherwise, Phil would be here. She seems confident that Jimmy and Mitch will get things turned around.

"In my position, I can make changes," she said. "I can make changes across the entire organization. If John Ireland doesn't do his job, in his radio broadcast play-by-play, then we would make that change. If the Laker Girls drop down in caliber and couldn't do a dance number, then we'd make changes there. I think you should have that same confidence in our entire organization, including basketball."

Ultimately, she has the power. Just don't get rid of Andi. She's smoking in her little Laker Girl outfits! :drool:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, TJF12, I think what you quoted is her power role in the organization. Taking Jim's piece of the franchise as you put it is a legal matter which would require lawyers and a buy-out of the collective trust as is stated. I don't think she can legally take anybody's piece in that context. AS you pointed out, she can render a final decision on anything to do with the franchise. That is clear.

Yeah, I may not have worded my post correctly. Jim's piece of the team (as far as ownership) can't be taken unless she or someone else buys him out or, as you mention, through some legal means.

However, her role in the organization carries the power to overrule his decisions. So if, for example, Jim and Mitch had a disagreement over something on the basketball side, she could basically tell Jim, "We're doing what Mitch wants" and that would be the final decision.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully she will concern herself with more than how the cheerleaders are doing or how the announcer sounds.

It's time for her to step in and stop letting Jim poison this organization.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, it was JERRY who wanted Jim to be in charge of basketball operations. Jeanie seems steadfast not to go against her dad, even though it's the not the best decision basketball wise....and even though I want Jim out, I don't know how upset I can be at Jeanine for not going against Jerry

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, it was JERRY who wanted Jim to be in charge of basketball operations. Jeanie seems steadfast not to go against her dad, even though it's the not the best decision basketball wise....and even though I want Jim out, I don't know how upset I can be at Jeanine for not going against Jerry

All true. However, from everything that I have read or heard, of all of the siblings, she is the most like Dr. Buss. So, my guess is that she will give Jim a chance to "right the ship", but if it comes down to going against Dr. Buss or letting the Lakers flounder, she will make Jim go sit in the corner.

One thing that gives me some hope is that the Lakers knew that a season like this was coming. I don't think anyone expected it to be THIS bad, but that's because there was no way to know that they'd suffer the number of injuries that the team has had. They knew, however, that they would be going through 2-3 "lean years". I think they probably reached that conclusion when Stern vetoed the CP3 trade. The acquisitions of Dwight and Nash were approved by Dr. Buss in an attempt to re-build without things getting "too lean". That didn't work, so now it's back to plan A.

While none of us obviously know exactly what the plan is, from what I've read and heard, they are following a plan that Dr. Buss approved of.

Now we just need to see if they can implement it like Dr. Buss.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is up with the Phil Jackson GM/ J Buss connection now?

Collusion of the minds to come next?

It's an evil plot hatched by Phil and Jeanie for the Lakers and Knicks to rule the NBA!! :evil:

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately for you Laker fans Jim Buss is not going to go anywhere
And I don't think a family fight involving legal matters of trying to get Jim Buss would do anyone any good. Look at what happened to the Dodgers with the mess that the McCourt divorce caused.

Jerry Buss went all in with the acquisition of Nash and Howard and the sad thing is that he died. If he didn't die things would certainly be different in Laker land. I don't think Dantoni would be coach and I think Howard would have stayed a Laker.

Really to me the biggest mistake Jim Buss has done is hire Dantoni. That one mistake to me sent the Lakers down a pot filled road of misery.

Right now I dont care if Phil Jackson or Red Auerbach was the coach they would not win with this bunch. As my grandad used to say when I would be out washing my beat up old Ford Maverick - "No matter how hard you try you can't polish a turd"

Jeannie Buss as hot is she is can't fix this mess at least this year.
First move the Lakers (Jim Buss) should do is cut losses swallow pride and fire Dantoni. I dont think he is a bad guy but was never the right coach for the Lakers. Getting a nice pick - Exum or other - would certainly help. Getting a stud FA would help.

But it all comes down to the coach at least as far as getting the team to perform night and night out consistently.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sentiment that Jeannie, assuming she can, should put someone else in charge of basketball operations other than Jim, does not mean that any legal action would be necessary. Jim would always hold an ownership interest in the Club. I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.

Jim can have an ownership interest in the Club for the rest of his life as far as I'm concerned. I just don't think the guy should be involved in basketball decisions.

As far as Jim and Jeannie carrying out Dr. Buss' plan is concerned........they either aren't doing it or aren't doing it well, or the plan, with all due respect to Dr. Buss, was not a good one.

Just because Dr. Buss succeeded as the Lakers' owner does not mean the kids will. Frankly, I think they are both in well over their heads.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you gents are right about several things that were mentioned. The notion that Snowdog and you have stated Silas is reality-based and as you both have ellude to it, I am not sure as well that either of them or both can "fix" the problems that one or both of them have marched this club into with their progression of decisions.