• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Big Game

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Kelly can't coach a big game.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is Kelly's ceiling. Can get to the playoffs or a big bowl but can't win it. I don't know who they can get that is better. Maybe Brohm or the guy in Minnesota in a few years I would say Fitzgerald but I can't see him going to Notre Dame. Right now I don't see a change happening until 2021 when Kelly's contract is up.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kelly can't coach any game.

coach of the year my ass!

We'll they went 12-0 so I can't say he can't coach any game but big games in season or post season he can't.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll they went 12-0 so I can't say he can't coach any game but big games in season or post season he can't.
since i DO understand numbers i thought it was understood i meant meaningful games (but i fixed it anyway).

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of season. It would’ve took the perfect gm to win but it was obvious notre’s dame’s Offensive gameplan was dumb as shit. Seemed like they were playing to not get their asses kicked and got their asses kicked in the process

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of season. It would’ve took the perfect gm to win but it was obvious notre’s dame’s Offensive gameplan was dumb as shit. Seemed like they were playing to not get their asses kicked and got their asses kicked in the process

Yeah I didn't like the offensive game plan either. The defense were playing well until Love went down but that falls on coaching as well.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got the sense that the team played like they already achieved their season goals. Actually competing and winning these games is not a requirement. It’s enough for the administration and BK to “be in the conversation”. They undeniably achieved that goal, but it felt the same way in 2012 that getting whipped in embarrassing fashion on the national stage just didn’t matter.

They really need to stop selling the uNDefeated merchandise after a 12-0 regular season. It’s embarrassing and unbecoming.

aNDy Callahan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I frequently read the posts here but I have not posted much this season since we were winning. I have not been a BK fan but this year I saw less to bitch about so I felt Kelly was growing as a coach. As others have said, BK cannot win a big game. We have had victories over teams that were top 10 when we played, but most (if not all) of those teams were not true top 10 as they fell by the end of the season. BK is too good to be fired but not good enough to beat elite teams. There are some coaches that can win big games but I fear most would be scared of the issue academic standards present. I think ND has a low probability of winning a championship in the future because I think BK is about as good as we will get for a coach. Looking forward to reading your posts next year. Happy 2019 to you all!

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again. Kelly is a solid 10-2 or 9-3 level coach. But he is not a championship level coach. Some years he will over achieve. And other years he will come up short

ND needs to back up a Brinks truck to someone proven and bring them to S Bend. They need to go after a Kirby Smart type coach. Someone that you can see is on the right track. And give him Jimbo Fisher type money.

Otherwise the Gator bowl type games will be the ceiling for ND. And everyone can talk about the cool banners from a long time ago in the stadium.

It sucks. It is the reality of it. In today’s game it is hard to get a solid class to go to Snowville USA. You might get a bonus guy once every couple years. Like a Jaylon Smith. But you aren’t going to reel in solid top 5 classes and talent with a guy like Kelly.

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if ND brings in a proven coach and gives him the keys to the brink truck, what different type players would he recruit? The new coach would still be handcuffed just like past coaches with the ND standards and have a so so recruiting class. I believe the problem isn't with recruiting, as much as it is coaching the talent ND has. Other coaches get a lot more out of less talented recruits. That's just my opinion...

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND has yet to win a natty under the current practice and roster restrictions.

If ND wants to compete. They have to do the things that will put them in place to compete.

Yes admission is tough. But no tougher than Stanford. Hell Miami actually requires a higher GPA than ND. The big difference for ND is being on path to graduate in 4 years in their major. Where other schools don’t hold that requirement. Allowing an easier class load each year.

ND is never going to open the JUCO path. So that will always be a strike against. But that can be over come. However. Every school in the playoff nit named ND this year had at least 1 JUCO player on their roster. But there needs to be an athletic path for academics. A path that has been asked for since Holtz. And something that Res Life and other organizations has always vetoed.

ND needs to accept some of these kids are going to ND to get to the league. Not to get an engineering degree. Or a degree from Mendoza.

Those changes need to happen to put ND in a position to get a coach that can compete. That would put them on even footing with Ohio St and others. While not trashing the name of ND.

NDGreg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If ND wants to compete. They have to do the things that will put them in place to compete.

Yes admission is tough. But no tougher than Stanford. Hell Miami actually requires a higher GPA than ND. The big difference for ND is being on path to graduate in 4 years in their major. Where other schools don’t hold that requirement. Allowing an easier class load each year.

ND is never going to open the JUCO path. So that will always be a strike against. But that can be over come. However. Every school in the playoff nit named ND this year had at least 1 JUCO player on their roster. But there needs to be an athletic path for academics. A path that has been asked for since Holtz. And something that Res Life and other organizations has always vetoed.

ND needs to accept some of these kids are going to ND to get to the league. Not to get an engineering degree. Or a degree from Mendoza.

Those changes need to happen to put ND in a position to get a coach that can compete. That would put them on even footing with Ohio St and others. While not trashing the name of ND.
exactly...until then, no natty.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.... Yes admission is tough. But no tougher than Stanford.

if stanford had won a nat. champ. this argument might mean something. stanford hasn't won since 1940.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if stanford had won a nat. champ. this argument might mean something. stanford hasn't won since 1940.

I think the bigger issue is lowering the coarse load during the season. They should lower coarse loads for student athletes across the board. They are in fact asking more of their student athletes than the regular student.