• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree Iowa's worst case is 5-7.

IOWA STATE - I am not as worried as I probably should be, but I don't see Iowa overlooking Iowa State. Iowa has not only Stanley, but 3 returning RBs, one of the better returners in the B1G, and probably the best pass rusher in the country. Iowa kept ISU out of the endzone last season, and they had Montgomery and Butler.

MICHIGAN - Iowa has won 5 of their last 6 matchups. Jim Harbaugh has never beaten Iowa as a player or as a coach. Is Michigan better? Yes. But I would say they have been in most of the last 6 matchups. That being said, I have Iowa losing this game.

PENN STATE - Home makes as big difference. Iowa was very close to beating them in Kinnick 2 years ago, when they had Barkley and McSorley. I have Iowa going 1-1 vs PSU and Wisconsin. Leaning more to the being the win.

PURDUE - agree with you.

NORTHWESTERN - Iowa should dominate this game. NW lost a lot and it was a very close game last season. I think Iowa wins, but it will be like Nebraska-Iowa game last year.

WISCONSIN - Iowa has not found the answer to Jonathan Taylor. Hopefully Iowa's LBs improve enough because I don't think we can rely on the DL enough to stop him. Like I said with PSU, 1-1 vs PSU and Wisconsin while leaning Wisconsin winning.

MINNESOTA - I disagree with you. They are still trying to connect to PJ's philosophy. I am not worried about this one.

NEBRASKA - eh

We haven't won in kinninc since 99, but we're not easy out

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees was the last B1G QB to throw 25 TDs in 3 consecutive seasons. Iowa's Nate Stanley has thrown 25 TDs last 2 seasons.

Will Stanley be the next to do what Brees did?

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees was the last B1G QB to throw 25 TDs in 3 consecutive seasons. Iowa's Nate Stanley has thrown 25 TDs last 2 seasons.

Nope

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking Big 8 Football on the BTN right now!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree Iowa's worst case is 5-7.

IOWA STATE - I am not as worried as I probably should be, but I don't see Iowa overlooking Iowa State. Iowa has not only Stanley, but 3 returning RBs, one of the better returners in the B1G, and probably the best pass rusher in the country. Iowa kept ISU out of the endzone last season, and they had Montgomery and Butler.

MICHIGAN - Iowa has won 5 of their last 6 matchups. Jim Harbaugh has never beaten Iowa as a player or as a coach. Is Michigan better? Yes. But I would say they have been in most of the last 6 matchups. That being said, I have Iowa losing this game.

PENN STATE - Home makes as big difference. Iowa was very close to beating them in Kinnick 2 years ago, when they had Barkley and McSorley. I have Iowa going 1-1 vs PSU and Wisconsin. Leaning more to the being the win.

PURDUE - agree with you.

NORTHWESTERN - Iowa should dominate this game. NW lost a lot and it was a very close game last season. I think Iowa wins, but it will be like Nebraska-Iowa game last year.

WISCONSIN - Iowa has not found the answer to Jonathan Taylor. Hopefully Iowa's LBs improve enough because I don't think we can rely on the DL enough to stop him. Like I said with PSU, 1-1 vs PSU and Wisconsin while leaning Wisconsin winning.

MINNESOTA - I disagree with you. They are still trying to connect to PJ's philosophy. I am not worried about this one.

NEBRASKA - eh

This game does worry me, but what happened in 2009-2013 (or even 2016) is pretty irrelevant given the roster changes. At least it isn't at Kinnick.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't see anyway Iowa goes 5-7 unless they suffer a ton of injuries Iowa has what is likely a top 10 national defense , 2 1st/2nd round type draft picks on the OL and a 1st/2nd round QB to go along with a very solid running back corps and what should be an improved WR group .

Sure there are games that will be toss ups but teams really don't lose ALL those types of games. My floor would probably be 7-5 given relative health. Iowa may legitimately have 4 first round draft picks on the field this year . Teams with that kind of talent usually win 9+

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really can't see anyway Iowa goes 5-7 unless they suffer a ton of injuries Iowa has what is likely a top 10 national defense , 2 1st/2nd round type draft picks on the OL and a 1st/2nd round QB to go along with a very solid running back corps and what should be an improved WR group .

Sure there are games that will be toss ups but teams really don't lose ALL those types of games. My floor would probably be 7-5 given relative health. Iowa may legitimately have 4 first round draft picks on the field this year . Teams with that kind of talent usually win 9+
If Iowa has anywhere near 4 potential first round draft pics, they better win the B1G and be in the CFB Playoff. That is Alabama territory.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Iowa has anywhere near 4 potential first round draft pics, they better win the B1G and be in the CFB Playoff. That is Alabama territory.
They do

Epenesa
Stanley
Wirfs
Jackson

Epenesa and Wirfs are solid first rounders . The other 2 are fringe but definitely possible as both have been mocked there pretty regularly

Difference is they don't have 13 other NFL players on the 2 deep like Bama lol. If the 4 guys from last years draft ( all underclassmen ) had come back Iowa would have likely been a top 5-10 team preseason

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do

Epenesa
Stanley
Wirfs
Jackson

Epenesa and Wirfs are solid first rounders . The other 2 are fringe but definitely possible as both have been mocked there pretty regularly

Difference is they don't have 13 other NFL players on the 2 deep like Bama lol. If the 4 guys from last years draft ( all underclassmen ) had come back Iowa would have likely been a top 5-10 team preseason
That is still way above average for any team with or without the other talent to surround them. I sure hope they save themselves for conference play! :D

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think so. Your improving WR corp does not replace your losses at TE

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....... and a 1st/2nd round QB ........

LOL

Nate Stanley a 1st round QB. NOT

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-quarterback-rankings-2019

Nate Stanley #4

Ranking Big Ten quarterbacks entering 2019 season

Nate Stanley #4

Just about anything I link will have him as #4 Qb in the B1G.

A 1st round/2nd QB is NOT going to be rated #4 by everyone

Shae Patterson is rated #1 and I am not sure if he is a 1st/2nd round QB.

Iowa football: Pro Football Focus doesn’t like Nate Stanley

That one above is on your side. it says some think he is a 1st rounder and it says some think he is undraftable.

But then, PFF has Stanley rated as the #51 QB in the country.

Here is an interesting STAT

"Nate Stanley is 2-4 against ranked teams, and 1-9 against big ten teams above 500."

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Nate Stanley a 1st round QB. NOT

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-quarterback-rankings-2019

Nate Stanley #4

Ranking Big Ten quarterbacks entering 2019 season

Nate Stanley #4

Just about anything I link will have him as #4 Qb in the B1G.

A 1st round/2nd QB is NOT going to be rated #4 by everyone

Shae Patterson is rated #1 and I am not sure if he is a 1st/2nd round QB.

Iowa football: Pro Football Focus doesn’t like Nate Stanley

That one above is on your side. it says some think he is a 1st rounder and it says some think he is undraftable.

But then, PFF has Stanley rated as the #51 QB in the country.

Here is an interesting STAT

"Nate Stanley is 2-4 against ranked teams, and 1-9 against big ten teams above 500."
Yep . At least half the mocks ( probably more ) have him first round early second . I don't really care where he ranks in an opinion piece . The draft experts have him there . It is what it is

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McShay only has 2 Iowa guys in 1st round on his projection. DE Epenesa at #9 and OT Wirfs at #30.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Stanley has a good shot with 25 TDs because I think Iowa will get good field posision.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McShay only has 2 Iowa guys in 1st round on his projection. DE Epenesa at #9 and OT Wirfs at #30.
Actually thats just his top 32 prospects not his mock . His first mock of the year had Epenesa and Stanley but not Wirfs. A guys big board isn't a mock. Wirfs will likely be in his next mock first round though . Stanley was at 31 to the Chargers so he may or may not be . Jackson is actually the least likely to go round one next year but he probably won't leave anyway . He's rated between 7-9th best tackles right now so coming back would likely lock round 1/2 in for 21

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Stanley has a shot to be drafted because he is a big guy with a rocket arm, but if you are not winning big games in college with your talent, you are not going to win in the NFL where everyone is big and fast.

Clayton Thorson was drafted in the 5th round in 2019. He beat Iowa the last three years.

As always, lots of opinions on the internet, you use Todd McShay, whereas Mel Kiper calls him inaccurate.

2020 NFL draft rankings: Kiper's top prospects at every position

Kiper has him as the second best senior QB, Gil Brandt has him as the 3rd best senior QB

but, being the second or third best senior at a position where the underclassmen QBs will be drafted before you is not saying much. Not to mention, all the seniors on their list are not that impressive if you ask me. If I was an NFL team, i would not like to be having to draft a QB this year. If you can't get Togaviola or Fromm, you are just making a crap shoot. IMHO

Nate stanley

Nate Stanley, QB, Iowa

PROS: Multiple time team captain and academic all-conference selection. Ideal size for an NFL quarterback at 6’4 and over 240 pounds. Even with his bulk, Stanley is a functional mover. Stanley will be an experienced prospect as a three-year starter. Sound dropbacks with his feet, able to throw in rhythm and with a tighter release. Stanley sees the defense well, avoiding interceptable passes. Will move up or laterally in the pocket with his eyes downfield, continuing to process coverage. Talented thrower to all levels and can drive the ball into fast-closing windows.

CONS: Not the most accurate quarterback from the intermediate to deep portions. Despite benefiting from some targets who could correct accuracy in 2018, Stanley failed to become an efficient passer snap to snap. While he’s got size and can put zip on passes, his accuracy fails when he’s on the move. Doesn’t necessarily drop it in the bucket on the sideline at all. Yet to produce gaudy passing numbers in Iowa’s offense, and has yet to show that he can handle a predominant passing offense. Generally safe throws, but will make bad mistakes when pressure is hitting him in the face. Doesn’t make a ton of plays outside of the pocket

PROS: Tall and thick pocket passer that has just enough mobility to navigate inside the pocket while keeping his eyes down-the-field. Frequently involved in pocket movement or readjustments of the launch point. Functional with sprint out and bootleg passes. Takes lots of pride of doing the little things correctly. Play-action fakes are persuasive and does an excellent job of hiding the ball to deceive defenders into chasing the run action. Comfortable with selling fakes by turning his back to the defense before resetting his eyes to survey the new picture presented. Mechanics and footwork are ideal, but his attention to it is precise throughout.

Passes jump out of his hand violently due to a mature torso action. Well above average arm strength. Grip it and rip it style when operating from the shotgun, but also has plenty of experience from under-center due to being in a heavy personnel offense. Generates lots of velocity behind throws because of a high-arcing and aggressive release. Stays on balance and weight always sits atop his platform prior to identifying intended targets.

CONS: Linear stature offers him a birds-eye view of coverages in front of him, but the ticking time in his head fails to strike zero when anticipating pressure bearing down on him in the pocket. Will get fixated on single targets and wait until they become open prior to throwing to them. Defenders are able to create tackles of loss and sacks due to Stanley hanging onto the ball well past the expiration of a optimal mental clock.

Too hot to handle nature behind routine throws. Throws that require precision or adequate ball placement tend to be a struggle for Stanley because of his fastball pitching nature. Not aware of ball speeds and even throws that are designed to keep targets on the move are thrown with maximum speed and result in being inaccurate or incompletions. Accuracy on deep throws are also an area where he tends to struggle. Fails to follow through on lots of wide-open targets. Many layups or easy throws were not completed due to his throws have a nose-diving nature. Makes it hard on targets in easy situations. Lots of extra yardage was left out on the field as a result.

Not impressive

Dochterman adds that one of Stanley's biggest weaknesses was in the fourth quarter where he "completed just 44 of 90 passes with one touchdown, two interceptions and by far his worst pass efficiency rating (96.6) of any quarter."

And more opinions

WalterFootball.com: 2020 NFL Draft: Quarterback Rankings

Nate Stanley is #7 QB in the draft according to these guys

You think more of Nate Stanley than I do. Hopefully, he fulfills his NFL dream.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Stanley has a shot to be drafted because he is a big guy with a rocket arm, but if you are not winning big games in college with your talent, you are not going to win in the NFL where everyone is big and fast.

Clayton Thorson was drafted in the 5th round in 2019. He beat Iowa the last three years.

As always, lots of opinions on the internet, you use Todd McShay, whereas Mel Kiper calls him inaccurate.

2020 NFL draft rankings: Kiper's top prospects at every position

Kiper has him as the second best senior QB, Gil Brandt has him as the 3rd best senior QB

but, being the second or third best senior at a position where the underclassmen QBs will be drafted before you is not saying much. Not to mention, all the seniors on their list are not that impressive if you ask me. If I was an NFL team, i would not like to be having to draft a QB this year. If you can't get Togaviola or Fromm, you are just making a crap shoot. IMHO

Nate stanley

Nate Stanley, QB, Iowa

PROS: Multiple time team captain and academic all-conference selection. Ideal size for an NFL quarterback at 6’4 and over 240 pounds. Even with his bulk, Stanley is a functional mover. Stanley will be an experienced prospect as a three-year starter. Sound dropbacks with his feet, able to throw in rhythm and with a tighter release. Stanley sees the defense well, avoiding interceptable passes. Will move up or laterally in the pocket with his eyes downfield, continuing to process coverage. Talented thrower to all levels and can drive the ball into fast-closing windows.

CONS: Not the most accurate quarterback from the intermediate to deep portions. Despite benefiting from some targets who could correct accuracy in 2018, Stanley failed to become an efficient passer snap to snap. While he’s got size and can put zip on passes, his accuracy fails when he’s on the move. Doesn’t necessarily drop it in the bucket on the sideline at all. Yet to produce gaudy passing numbers in Iowa’s offense, and has yet to show that he can handle a predominant passing offense. Generally safe throws, but will make bad mistakes when pressure is hitting him in the face. Doesn’t make a ton of plays outside of the pocket

PROS: Tall and thick pocket passer that has just enough mobility to navigate inside the pocket while keeping his eyes down-the-field. Frequently involved in pocket movement or readjustments of the launch point. Functional with sprint out and bootleg passes. Takes lots of pride of doing the little things correctly. Play-action fakes are persuasive and does an excellent job of hiding the ball to deceive defenders into chasing the run action. Comfortable with selling fakes by turning his back to the defense before resetting his eyes to survey the new picture presented. Mechanics and footwork are ideal, but his attention to it is precise throughout.

Passes jump out of his hand violently due to a mature torso action. Well above average arm strength. Grip it and rip it style when operating from the shotgun, but also has plenty of experience from under-center due to being in a heavy personnel offense. Generates lots of velocity behind throws because of a high-arcing and aggressive release. Stays on balance and weight always sits atop his platform prior to identifying intended targets.

CONS: Linear stature offers him a birds-eye view of coverages in front of him, but the ticking time in his head fails to strike zero when anticipating pressure bearing down on him in the pocket. Will get fixated on single targets and wait until they become open prior to throwing to them. Defenders are able to create tackles of loss and sacks due to Stanley hanging onto the ball well past the expiration of a optimal mental clock.

Too hot to handle nature behind routine throws. Throws that require precision or adequate ball placement tend to be a struggle for Stanley because of his fastball pitching nature. Not aware of ball speeds and even throws that are designed to keep targets on the move are thrown with maximum speed and result in being inaccurate or incompletions. Accuracy on deep throws are also an area where he tends to struggle. Fails to follow through on lots of wide-open targets. Many layups or easy throws were not completed due to his throws have a nose-diving nature. Makes it hard on targets in easy situations. Lots of extra yardage was left out on the field as a result.

Not impressive

Dochterman adds that one of Stanley's biggest weaknesses was in the fourth quarter where he "completed just 44 of 90 passes with one touchdown, two interceptions and by far his worst pass efficiency rating (96.6) of any quarter."

And more opinions

WalterFootball.com: 2020 NFL Draft: Quarterback Rankings

Nate Stanley is #7 QB in the draft according to these guys

You think more of Nate Stanley than I do. Hopefully, he fulfills his NFL dream.
I never said Stanley was great . I said he was projected as a 1/2nd rounder . Drew Lock went 42 overall last year and that's a good comp for Stanley imo ( if he doesn't have a better senior season this year )

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but Alabama has four more first rounders on the roster for the next draft, then the next draft after that, and so on.