• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2021 NFL Draft Thread.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 pick?! :spit:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

The Bears were 8-8 last year, didn't add any notable talent other than a rookie QB (and a rookie 2nd round LT....which is another position thatcan also really struggle in year 1) and now have a much harder schedule. You think they are going to finish with a better record than last year?

Go back to 2017 during Trubisky's 1st season to remember what rookie QB's typically look like. You remember 2017? The team was 5-11 with a terrible offense and despite that you were still excited about Trubisky.

That's what happen when you play a rookie QB. The team sucks, the offense sucks and yet fans still head into the following season with a lot of hope (right or wrong). The vast majority of the time that is just the way it goes.

And your defense is obviously going in the wrong direction. They were great 3 seasons ago, really good 2 seasons ago and just above average last year. Where are they going to get better this coming year now that they lost their best secondary player and their best players have just gotten 1 year older?

Don't let the fact that the Bears made the playoffs last year in one of the weirdest years the NFL has ever seen fool you. They were a bad team last year. And they didnt do anything to get better for THIS YEAR. Sure in the future Fields might be a top 10 QB. But next year.....he likely is going to be pretty bad. That's just the way it is with rookie QB's more often than not.

And if you don't believe me would you trust Vegas odd makers? Because they are betting Chicago is a bottom 10 team this coming year too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago can always go 'YOLO mobile QB' and skirt some of the issues of a rookie QB. In fact, I would actually say that mobile QB prospects who are mobile have a good overall track record but Im too lazy to come up with a list.

The issue that I have with the Fields pick is that Denver and Carolina passed on him and New England didn't care enough to trade up.

I do think I'm pretty happy with the draft if I'm a Giants fan, though. Missing Devonta Smith is big but Toney + a future 1st isn't a bad consolation prize.

I think Detroit is still the 4th place team in the North so Bears get at least 7 wins imo. If things go sideways with Aaron Rodgers then maybe more than that.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears were 8-8 last year, didn't add any notable talent other than a rookie QB (and a rookie 2nd round LT....which is another position thatcan also really struggle in year 1) and now have a much harder schedule. You think they are going to finish with a better record than last year?

Go back to 2017 during Trubisky's 1st season to remember what rookie QB's typically look like. You remember 2017? The team was 5-11 with a terrible offense and despite that you were still excited about Trubisky.

That's what happen when you play a rookie QB. The team sucks, the offense sucks and yet fans still head into the following season with a lot of hope (right or wrong). The vast majority of the time that is just the way it goes.

And your defense is obviously going in the wrong direction. They were great 3 seasons ago, really good 2 seasons ago and just above average last year. Where are they going to get better this coming year now that they lost their best secondary player and their best players have just gotten 1 year older?

Don't let the fact that the Bears made the playoffs last year in one of the weirdest years the NFL has ever seen fool you. They were a bad team last year. And they didnt do anything to get better for THIS YEAR. Sure in the future Fields might be a top 10 QB. But next year.....he likely is going to be pretty bad. That's just the way it is with rookie QB's more often than not.

And if you don't believe me would you trust Vegas odd makers? Because they are betting Chicago is a bottom 10 team this coming year too.
Rookie Trubisky in a John Fox offense is now the measuring stick for rookie QBs? To be fair, I lot you say is not wrong and we’re looking at a 7-8 win Chicago team next year. Let’s say Chicago is pick #10 next year and add this year’s #20 and 2 4th rounders, I still thinks that’s well worth a top 3 overall talent in most drafts. Win-win for the Giants and Bears

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely hate it when teams like Chicago give up a 1st rounder next season and get an A+ in these things. While the team getting the 1st rounder next year get a B+.
It's a significant concession (trading the '22 pick), when the board is already past #10, I agree.
That pick is almost a lock to be a top 10 pick IMO next season. The Bears did NOTHING to improve on their team. Nothing. Fields as a rookie isn't likely to be better than Trubisky was in his 4th season.
I'm not sure Fields will start straight out of the gate. They would be wise to run Dalton, and let Fields watch for a year like KC did with Mahomes.

Bears made the playoffs this year due to a weak field. But AR-12 walks away, that division is up for grabs. Except for GB.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I'm noticing looking back at the draft is that there is real risk in a lot of these higher picks.

Niners and Bears are legitimately setting their team back 3 years if they whiff.

Miami traded a 1st rounder for the ability to get Waddle instead of DeVonta Smith. Miami also took Jaelen Phillips maybe about 5 picks lower than I would've had him if he had no medical issues whatsoever. Its easy to look at them and come away with an opinion that they won the draft by a mile but I think they took more risks than needed. Tua is not a slam dunk. Next year is a 'prove it' year for Tua and because they traded away the 1st they probably won't have the ammo to go up and get a QB. So they are making the assumption that Waddle >>> Smith. I do like Waddle more but Smith is a top flight WR prospect and a team should be happy with getting him almost every time imo.

Bears are going to be rocking one of the toughest schedules in the league next year. Traded up for Fields. Traded up for Jenkins. Thats a team that is going to have to build through free agency next year because they might make the playoffs but they might also be giving the Giants a top 10 pick like everyone else is saying. But even if they make the playoffs they have a rookie QB who won't win any playoff games. I kinda feel like instead of trading up for Jenkins they should've traded back for more picks. Too many eggs in two baskets. If Fields is good then the Giants pick isnt worth a whole ton but they're still not going to be able to surround Fields with talent. I don't think the Bears roster is the type that can be in 'win now' mode and also develop a QB. Maybe Im wrong.

Carolina, meanwhile, passed on Fields, gave away Bridgewater, going all-in on Darnold, drafting lots of good future talent. Kinda look like a team on full on tank mode but then why pass on Fields unless he sucks? Fields is going to make a team look really stupid whether its Carolina or Chicago.

I feel like if Caleb Farley went to anyone besides the Titans Id be praising the pick. I might be underrating how good that pick is just due to the issues the Titans have had lately in dealing with players who have issues. Tennessee's window is more open right now than it will ever be so just getting defensive players on the field is basically the same imperative that the Chiefs have with just making sure their oline holds up. If Farley is healthy then he is going to make or break the Titans season at some point next year and thats a season that will almost certainly be a playoff one if Henry and Tannehill hold up.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I'm noticing looking back at the draft is that there is real risk in a lot of these higher picks.

Niners and Bears are legitimately setting their team back 3 years if they whiff.

Miami traded a 1st rounder for the ability to get Waddle instead of DeVonta Smith. Miami also took Jaelen Phillips maybe about 5 picks lower than I would've had him if he had no medical issues whatsoever. Its easy to look at them and come away with an opinion that they won the draft by a mile but I think they took more risks than needed. Tua is not a slam dunk. Next year is a 'prove it' year for Tua and because they traded away the 1st they probably won't have the ammo to go up and get a QB. So they are making the assumption that Waddle >>> Smith. I do like Waddle more but Smith is a top flight WR prospect and a team should be happy with getting him almost every time imo.

Bears are going to be rocking one of the toughest schedules in the league next year. Traded up for Fields. Traded up for Jenkins. Thats a team that is going to have to build through free agency next year because they might make the playoffs but they might also be giving the Giants a top 10 pick like everyone else is saying. But even if they make the playoffs they have a rookie QB who won't win any playoff games. I kinda feel like instead of trading up for Jenkins they should've traded back for more picks. Too many eggs in two baskets. If Fields is good then the Giants pick isnt worth a whole ton but they're still not going to be able to surround Fields with talent. I don't think the Bears roster is the type that can be in 'win now' mode and also develop a QB. Maybe Im wrong.

Carolina, meanwhile, passed on Fields, gave away Bridgewater, going all-in on Darnold, drafting lots of good future talent. Kinda look like a team on full on tank mode but then why pass on Fields unless he sucks? Fields is going to make a team look really stupid whether its Carolina or Chicago.

I feel like if Caleb Farley went to anyone besides the Titans Id be praising the pick. I might be underrating how good that pick is just due to the issues the Titans have had lately in dealing with players who have issues. Tennessee's window is more open right now than it will ever be so just getting defensive players on the field is basically the same imperative that the Chiefs have with just making sure their oline holds up. If Farley is healthy then he is going to make or break the Titans season at some point next year and thats a season that will almost certainly be a playoff one if Henry and Tannehill hold up.
Yeah some of those moves are more questionable than others. Teams making risk at QB are willing to take the risk for more reward bc if you do find a guy he could be your guy for 15 years. But the thing is even if you find a pretty good option, that could grow it could be like the Browns case for the 49ers...you can still win. Still a lot of risk with that trade especially if they move JimmyG before seeing what Lance is really made of.

I was thinking the same thing with that Farley pick bc the Titans have bad luck. Glad he was picked before 26 bc I didn’t want the Browns to take that risk with their already injury prone secondary