• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 12th Fan!!!

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the real question is, how is the Seahawks MySpace page doing?

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one have been talking about the Seahawks on my LiveJournal for weeks!

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like bandwagon Seahawks fans either.

There are almost none in WA, though. It's not like a bunch of people up here were Pats fans and then suddenly decided to love the Seahawks when they won.

It's the stupidest attempt a slamming real Seahawks fans possible. Idiots who say it will never understand, though.

I am a displaced Packer fan living near Seattle. The fans here really aren't too bad. Yeah, there are a hell of a lot more of them now then there were, but I think that would happen in most football cities (having lived in Green Bay before, where 95% of the population are die-hards, its hard for me to judge). For the most part they are good natured (I don't have to worry about being harassed when wearing my Packer stuff) and a good number of them are reasonably knowledgeable.

There are some assholes, and they tend to be the loudest at the bars I frequent, but that is another thing that happens with any group of people. The only thing that really bothers me about the Seahawks (and I have argued with fans of theirs quite a bit on this matter) is that 12th man bullshit. It feels like they are celebrating themselves instead of their team. And the people who buy the number 12 jerseys. . ."MY FAVORITE PLAYER ON THE SEAHAWKS IS ME!!!"

Sorry Seahawks fans, you guys are cool, but I gotta bust your chops a bit!

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just poking fun...

roll with the punches, Jesus lol.

bigdaddytorr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Torr gettin the ballz busted a bit. Nice to see where your focus is this week.

Lol... my focus is with family and work. Sports is entertainment - I'm not playing the game lol. I was browsing imgur and that pic was on the front page... why not post it to a sports forum? Especially one where the Seahawks fans are so uptight.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a displaced Packer fan living near Seattle. The fans here really aren't too bad. Yeah, there are a hell of a lot more of them now then there were, but I think that would happen in most football cities (having lived in Green Bay before, where 95% of the population are die-hards, its hard for me to judge). For the most part they are good natured (I don't have to worry about being harassed when wearing my Packer stuff) and a good number of them are reasonably knowledgeable.

There are some assholes, and they tend to be the loudest at the bars I frequent, but that is another thing that happens with any group of people. The only thing that really bothers me about the Seahawks (and I have argued with fans of theirs quite a bit on this matter) is that 12th man bullshit. It feels like they are celebrating themselves instead of their team. And the people who buy the number 12 jerseys. . ."MY FAVORITE PLAYER ON THE SEAHAWKS IS ME!!!"

Sorry Seahawks fans, you guys are cool, but I gotta bust your chops a bit!

I think it goes back to the days of Playing in the Kingdome. That was also a very loud and difficult place to play for offenses. With the new stadium, the noise is just as tough on offenses but good teams have learned to deal with it. Silent count, hand signals.
The 12th man business is just a show of appreciation for the fans who come to the stadium and scream their heads off. It does give the defense a charge.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it goes back to the days of Playing in the Kingdome. That was also a very loud and difficult place to play for offenses. With the new stadium, the noise is just as tough on offenses but good teams have learned to deal with it. Silent count, hand signals.
The 12th man business is just a show of appreciation for the fans who come to the stadium and scream their heads off. It does give the defense a charge.

Heh, yeah, I get it. And as far as marketing ploys go, it has been hugely successful. Anytime I wanna give a Seahawks fan a hard time though, I just bring up how they have to pay royalties to Texas A&M for use of the term (A&M owns the trade mark on "The 12th Man").

Another really annoying thing about it though (and a lot of Hawks fans agree with me on this) is how local businesses use it in their advertising. If I have to sit through that McDonald's "what is 12?" commercial one more time I'm going to punch a kitten.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Why would you punch Jesus?
I believe he was talking about the punch we used to make with grain alcohol called Purple Jesus, and I never punched anyone when I drank that..........

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, yeah, I get it. And as far as marketing ploys go, it has been hugely successful. Anytime I wanna give a Seahawks fan a hard time though, I just bring up how they have to pay royalties to Texas A&M for use of the term (A&M owns the trade mark on "The 12th Man").

Another really annoying thing about it though (and a lot of Hawks fans agree with me on this) is how local businesses use it in their advertising. If I have to sit through that McDonald's "what is 12?" commercial one more time I'm going to punch a kitten.

Its all marketing. Please don't hurt the kitten. The owner will pay the ransom.
Yeah, I heard Paul Allen has to write a check to Texas. Good move on their part but it never should have been trade marked.
Its a tax deduction and he is giving money to a good cause. Education people in Texas. God knows they need it!

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From reddit: "The picture on the left is after the Facebook page had been on Facebook for 5 months, the one on the right is after 3 years and a superbowl."

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I have to sit through that McDonald's "what is 12?" commercial one more time I'm going to punch a kitten.

Try punching Jesus. I hear he is a good sparring partner.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol... my focus is with family and work. Sports is entertainment - I'm not playing the game lol. I was browsing imgur and that pic was on the front page... why not post it to a sports forum? Especially one where the Seahawks fans are so uptight.

We like the attention.
Keep it up.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We like the attention.
Keep it up.

I remember a certain baseball player I disliked back in the 80's & 90's, Rickey Henderson. Come 2000, he became a Mariner. Anyhow, during one away game, the fans were giving him the business! All he did was smile, wave, and converse with them. He was later asked why he wasn't upset at these people insulting him? His answer was this (and I paraphrase):

"It means you've made it, you are somebody"

I love reading the crazy, ranting, bullshit posts of trolls. We've made it.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,306.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great to be noticed. Thank you.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all marketing. Please don't hurt the kitten. The owner will pay the ransom.
Yeah, I heard Paul Allen has to write a check to Texas. Good move on their part but it never should have been trade marked.
Its a tax deduction and he is giving money to a good cause. Education people in Texas. God knows they need it!

Texas knows the trademark is a joke too, that's why the check is only $1500 annually. If they charged more Allen would get his lawyers on that shit.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas knows the trademark is a joke too, that's why the check is only $1500 annually. If they charged more Allen would get his lawyers on that shit.

It always cracks me up that people use the Texas A&M thing as a fallback. If it was so friggin sacred to them they wouldn't have trademarked for the sole purpose of going after people for money. They didn't care until the 90's and suddenly they lawyered up and tried to squeeze money out of teams for the 12th man, but they didn't bother harassing the programs that didn't have enough to budget a payout. So it was basically all about getting a little bit of money from their "sacred tradition".