• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

That is why the call it QB

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quarterback is a misleading name to what a QB actually does.

A QB is more a Field Marshall. A lot of what happens in game depends on QB play. They can change a game and actually fire up the defense in the process.

Quarterback sounds demeaning. Maybe call them Field Masters or something of the sort.

Discuss.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quarterback is a misleading name to what a QB actually does.

A QB is more a Field Marshall. A lot of what happens in game depends on QB play. They can change a game and actually fire up the defense in the process.

Quarterback sounds demeaning. Maybe call them Field Masters or something of the sort.

Discuss.
It stems from original football strategies. Passing really wasnt a thing. There were two halfbacks, one on each side, and the quarterback s only job was to get the ball to one of the halfbacks. So he was only half of the play to any one halfback. Half of a half is a quarter. Cue the rainbow of knowledge.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It stems from original football strategies. Passing really wasnt a thing. There were two halfbacks, one on each side, and the quarterback s only job was to get the ball to one of the halfbacks. So he was only half of the play to any one halfback. Half of a half is a quarter. Cue the rainbow of knowledge.
Wow! Thanks for that explanation. Did not know the history.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Thanks for that explanation. Did not know the history.
Well, dont annoint me too quickly. Alot of people think it comes from the odds of the player receiving a hit from a defensive player. But that doesnt hold water in my book because then the quarterback would be a half back as well since he has an equal chance of being hit as the half back on each play since it starts with him.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, dont annoint me too quickly. Alot of people think it comes from the odds of the player receiving a hit from a defensive player. But that doesnt hold water in my book because then the quarterback would be a half back as well since he has an equal chance of being hit as the half back on each play since it starts with him.
Pure ignorance on the actual history, but this seems more likely. Because before the forward pass wasn’t what we deem a QB really a fullback because he got the ball every time and half backs only got it half of the time.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contrary to the position's title - shortstops are actually quite tall on average. I am triggered by this. I am going to go desecrate a monument.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i looked it up so u dont have to :suds:

Football was a different game when the term "quarterback" was coined. Look up the single wing offense. The tailback or fullback took the snaps in a pistol/shotgun style, and the "quarterback" was a blocker that lined up just behind the linemen. He did call out snap counts due to his proximity to the line.