• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thanks Mariano Rivera

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Yankees visit opposing stadiums fans usually don't like the it when Mariano Rivera appears in a game,because your home team is losing. Lets put the fact that the best closer in the history of the game is about to hang up his cleats aside for a second and look at the man he is.
I have not have the privilege seeing Rivera play in person but over the 15 plus years he has played I've seen him on TV number of times. This guy constantly interacts with fans from the opposing cities, always willing to sign autographs or at least acknowledge that people appreciate him. For those of you not aware of it, this is what he is doing on his farewell tour. He meets with about 20 longtime employees from each club and they sit and talk. He likes to hear what they have done and how much he admires their dedication to their work. The world needs more people like Mariano Rivera and we all need that type of mindset to be better towards each other.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said, 4thefences. I've despised the Yankees as an organization and team for close to 30 years now because I'm afraid I'm a Baseball traditionalist and don't like how they operate. I wish I could change but you are what you are. However, I have nothing but respect for Mariano Rivera and always have because he respects the game and from what you've just said, Fences, he respects the people in the game who don't always wear uniforms and who bring us the game. He seems to have the right spirit as to how one should conduct himself not only on his 'fairwell tour' if that's what you want to call the train he's on this year but as he has throughout his career. I look at his stats quite often at Baseball Reference and every time I do they are staggering. Pick a year and the stats for that year could be for just about any one of his 17-18 seasons. I seen at least half a dozen Closers win a Cy Young Award over the years (70s and 80s was the craze for Closers) yet the best of the best has never won one. If memory serves me correctly I don't think he played baseball until he was close to 20 so he didn't grow up with it and maybe that contributes to his attitude about things or maybe being from Panama has something to do with it. Panama doesn't produce a lot of ML baseball players but the best pure hitter I've ever seen play the game, Rod Carew, was born and raised in Panama and so was Rivera who is the best relief pitcher I've seen play the game.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff guys. I echo the sentiments on Rivera. I rank the Yankees at about 30th or 31st in terms of my favorite baseball teams as well, but it's easy to pull for Mariano. I'm glad he's able to come back from last season's injury and play well. Of course wishing him to play well is a double edged sword, as it means the Yankees will likely be playing well too.

67RedSox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you catch the spat between Rivera and Joba Chamberlain...more like between class and classless.

4thefences

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You nailed that right on 67RS. Chamberlain with the consistant DL next to his name. Designated Loser.