• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas jumps Michigan in the polls?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely don't think Michigan deserves much credit for this season. They've been pretty mediocre through most of it. But, why would Texas jump Michigan in the polls? :noidea:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU is a much bigger win than any of Michigan's best, though losing to ND is a lot more forgiveable than Maryland. But the AP and coaches don't care about that. I wouldn't get too worked up over polls in the beginning of October. Michigan rates much better in S&P+ (5th) than Texas (38th). Ok State, TTU and WVU (all of whom rate higher) should give us a better idea of how good they are, just like Michigan's next 3 games will.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take rankings for whatever you think they are worth, but Jexas has won games against top 25 opponents 3 of the last 4 weeks, with a giant national TV win over a top 10.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take rankings for whatever you think they are worth, but Jexas has won games against top 25 opponents 3 of the last 4 weeks, with a giant national TV win over a top 10.

this too, rankings at the present times play a huge role in week to week rankings.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause Herman > Harbs

:dhd:

JK, honestly, I stopped trying to figure out the thinking on these stupid polls for awhile now. None of em make any sense.

I mean WTF was VT ranked at all last week before Notre Dame brained their overrated arse? ODU beat em and the Duke win impressed somebody ? Stupid

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely don't think Michigan deserves much credit for this season. They've been pretty mediocre through most of it. But, why would Texas jump Michigan in the polls? :noidea:
Texas has 3 wins better than anyone Michigan has beat . That said Texas lost to a team Michigan beat by 21 so....

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they both have a common opponent. Michigan dominated that common opponent, while Texas lost to them.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they both have a common opponent. Michigan dominated that common opponent, while Texas lost to them.
So we should ignore 3 decent wins over 1 lost at the beginning of the season

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we should ignore 3 decent wins over 1 lost at the beginning of the season

Wait, "3 decent wins" should trump the results of a common opponent with only 6 weeks in the season? What constitutes a "decent win", and why does that erase a loss to a common opponent when comparing two teams?

I don't know if Texas is better than Michigan (they may be, Michigan hasn't proven much), but they lost to someone that Michigan beat by 3 TD's. Same records for both teams. It just seems odd to me.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan sucks, that's why.

That said, Tom Herman has shown to have the tendency of his teams to have let down games after big wins so far in his HC career. Maybe he spends the entire week at the strip club

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan sucks, that's why.

That said, Tom Herman has shown to have the tendency of his teams to have let down games after big wins so far in his HC career. Maybe he spends the entire week at the strip club

I'm not going to argue with you there. I expected more from Michigan and am hopeful they are just starting the season slow.

My thought was, Texas and Michigan have one common opponent. Michigan won by 3 TD's, while Texas lost. I'm just wondering why Texas leaped so far ahead of them on the polls (really why they leaped in front at all)

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to argue with you there. I expected more from Michigan and am hopeful they are just starting the season slow.

My thought was, Texas and Michigan have one common opponent. Michigan won by 3 TD's, while Texas lost. I'm just wondering why Texas leaped so far ahead of them on the polls (really why they leaped in front at all)

All I can think of is they are going with the hot hand right now. Longhorns seemed to have done a complete 180 since Maryland so the pollsters are giving them a pass

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because it's only the 1 game. The best team doesn't always win, and sometimes teams are just bad matchups for teams.

When you look at the overall quality of work and all the games, then it becomes clear that Texas has much better quality wins than Michigan has.

The Maryland opponent would only mean so much if all else was equal, but it's not.

If it makes you feel any better, if you both won out somehow - Michigan would be ranked above Texas because you have a more difficult schedule.

Last edited:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it yesterday — Michigan should have beat ND and lost to Maryland. I bet we’d be top 5 right now.:lol:

Also, who cares. It is way too early to worry about rankings.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause Herman > Harbs

...as VT ranked at all last week before Notre Dame brained their overrated arse? ODU beat em and the Duke win impressed somebody ? Stupid

giphy.gif

Congrats on wins vs. TT, Youngstown State and Kansas....

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, "3 decent wins" should trump the results of a common opponent with only 6 weeks in the season? What constitutes a "decent win", and why does that erase a loss to a common opponent when comparing two teams?
The way I compare two teams is by:
1a): how they look on the field
1b): who have they beaten
Tiebreakers
2) head to head

3) who they lost to

4) common opponent

That’s how I look at it, everyone has their own opinions. And based off the overall season and not just one game, I will take Texas over Michigan in a h2h matchup right now

The win over OU is a big boost to Texas resume, and having two other wins that looks better than Michigan’s best win doesn’t hurt.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the pollsters didn’t because they knew how funny it would be to see Michigan fans act like a bitch over a ranking in early Oct