• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas at Iowa State

Who wins?

• Texas in a blowout (> 2 TDs)

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Texas in a close game (2 TDs or closer)

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Too close to tell, it's a toss up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iowa State in a close game

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Iowa State in a blowout

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think too highly of your Hawkeyes. Iowa is not that good this year and has beaten nobody. ISU beating an average to below average Iowa team isn't proving more than Texas. Either UCLA and BYU are pretty much on the same level as Iowa this year. I don't know what to expect from Texas next week, although pounding UCLA into oblivion when everybody picked us to lose might be a good indicator as to how we'll play against ISU. Texas should destroy the Clones, especially with Gilbert done forever.

We'll see I guess. I think Iowa is on the same level as Texas ( 7-9 wins), UCLA and BYU are both worse than either Iowa or Texas IMO. BYU got beat by 6 TD's by Utah the week after they should have beat Texas. Your guess is as good as mine.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is an interesting team this year. Most involved in this thread and on this site haven't actually WATCHED Texas play this year. Those expecting the same squad from last year are sorely mistaken. And those saying they'll be outcoached are out of their minds.

Texas is improving weekly. I've watched and analyzed every play they've had this year. The offense is so multiple, it's almost impossible to gameplan for. They use every weapon they have, they go 3 deep at nearly every position with players getting snaps. The more comfortable they get running this offense, the bigger a headache they're going to be for anybody they face.

They are a MUCH better team than most give them credit for right now.

Conversely, I know very little about ISU outside the fact they're well coached. But I'd bet the whole state Texas has more talent on the 85 man roster, and typically, if both teams are coached well, talent wins out.

That said, I'll take Texas by 10 points.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is an interesting team this year. Most involved in this thread and on this site haven't actually WATCHED Texas play this year. Those expecting the same squad from last year are sorely mistaken. And those saying they'll be outcoached are out of their minds.

Texas is improving weekly. I've watched and analyzed every play they've had this year. The offense is so multiple, it's almost impossible to gameplan for. They use every weapon they have, they go 3 deep at nearly every position with players getting snaps. The more comfortable they get running this offense, the bigger a headache they're going to be for anybody they face.

They are a MUCH better team than most give them credit for right now.

Conversely, I know very little about ISU outside the fact they're well coached. But I'd bet the whole state Texas has more talent on the 85 man roster, and typically, if both teams are coached well, talent wins out.

That said, I'll take Texas by 10 points.

You make a fair point. The only time Ive watched texas this year was their game against BYU and I was severely underwhelmed in that one.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a fair point. The only time Ive watched texas this year was their game against BYU and I was severely underwhelmed in that one.

Did you notice a difference in that team when Gilbert got benched?

Because the defense did an excellent job in that game.....and once Gilbert was removed, the offense started putting up points. Then the next week, they exploded offensively on UCLA. Once everyone is comfortable with their blocking assignments, and understands their routes, etc, this offense is going to be deadly. It's hard to believe Gilbert held us back just that much

TexasFight98VI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did you notice a difference in that team when Gilbert got benched?

Because the defense did an excellent job in that game.....and once Gilbert was removed, the offense started putting up points. Then the next week, they exploded offensively on UCLA. Once everyone is comfortable with their blocking assignments, and understands their routes, etc, this offense is going to be deadly. It's hard to believe Gilbert held us back just that much

Excellent point. With Gilbert in the game, the offense gained a total of 56 yards, had 0 points, 5 first downs and 2 INT's. Once GG was benched, the offense had 235 total yds, scored 17 pts and had 14 1st downs. Major, major difference. And like you said Star, with GG permanently on the bench, the offense exploded against UCLA.......

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope Jantz doesn't get too many rushing yards off broken plays.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Texas is the normal Texas. Are they good? Yes, but they won't be going for the Big 12 title. I also don't think Iowa State is a Big 12 bottom feeder like they normally are. They have a QB that transferred in and is something to watch. He's no Denard Robinson or Taylor Martinez, but he is a dangerous QB. Texas is a young, inexperience team. Iowa State has upperclassmen that was recruited by Chizik.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also dont think Texas fans or maybe even their team appreciate the enthusiasm and excitement for this game here in Iowa. The Hawks have a bye this week so ALL the focus i the state from the media is on this game. Tickets are bringing the highest prices for an Iowa State game in as long as anyone can remember, the fan base is SO enthused for this team and they look at this game as a chance to show they are for real. Not sure Texas fans can fully understand since they are usually so dominant its not unusual for them to have games like this but for ISU and their fanbase its VERY rare. Texas will be walking into an absolute buzzsaw of a stadium and its a nite game as well. The Horns need to get off to a good start or they could literally get buried early.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also dont think Texas fans or maybe even their team appreciate the enthusiasm and excitement for this game here in Iowa. The Hawks have a bye this week so ALL the focus i the state from the media is on this game. Tickets are bringing the highest prices for an Iowa State game in as long as anyone can remember, the fan base is SO enthused for this team and they look at this game as a chance to show they are for real. Not sure Texas fans can fully understand since they are usually so dominant its not unusual for them to have games like this but for ISU and their fanbase its VERY rare. Texas will be walking into an absolute buzzsaw of a stadium and its a nite game as well. The Horns need to get off to a good start or they could literally get buried early.

Get real. You think we don't understand? Seriously? Tell me, do you think your fans are more enthused than Nebraska was last year?

When you have the program and history that a Texas does, you get USED to every time you come in town it being a big deal.

LOL, it's like some of you think Texas has never played a road game before, seriously......"buried early"??? LMAO

I mean, road games are NEVER emotional for the home team, EVER......at least not like it will be in IOWA. Wowzers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iruleps.jpg

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get real. You think we don't understand? Seriously? Tell me, do you think your fans are more enthused than Nebraska was last year?

When you have the program and history that a Texas does, you get USED to every time you come in town it being a big deal.

LOL, it's like some of you think Texas has never played a road game before, seriously......"buried early"??? LMAO

I mean, road games are NEVER emotional for the home team, EVER......at least not like it will be in IOWA. Wowzers.

Im not an ISU fan and yes I think its completely 100% possible that Texas and their players think " Hey its Iowa State". I mean its not Oklahoma, it isnt Nebraska, its not A@M, hell its not even Texas Tech. If the Horns were going to Norman I have no doubt they would be prepared for what they are going to see but if you are asking if I think they have any idea what they are coming into on Saturday night Id tell you Im not sure. Iowa State fans dont get to 3-0 very often and this is the biggest game in at least 10 years for the Cyclones at home so Im just saying that I Hope the Horns get that.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not an ISU fan and yes I think its completely 100% possible that Texas and their players think " Hey its Iowa State". I mean its not Oklahoma, it isnt Nebraska, its not A@M, hell its not even Texas Tech. If the Horns were going to Norman I have no doubt they would be prepared for what they are going to see but if you are asking if I think they have any idea what they are coming into on Saturday night Id tell you Im not sure. Iowa State fans dont get to 3-0 very often and this is the biggest game in at least 10 years for the Cyclones at home so Im just saying that I Hope the Horns get that.

You would have a point, had Iowa State not beaten Texas last year. Mack Brown has publicly stated that loss was the LOWEST point of the year for them. If you think it's even vaguely possible they're taking ISU for granted I don't know what to tell you.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a good point, but usually Texas is a Top 10 team and in no real threat for an upset. Also, Nebraska is different than Iowa State. I went to a small college in Nebraska and I think they overlooked Texas. Texas had lost to UCLA and Oklahoma, so NU fans thought it was gonna be an easy win. ISU, this will be like the 2nd Super Bowl for them, and it means more. So, I think Iowa State's atmosphere Saturday will be a little different than Nebraska's last year. This game is just as big as Baylor to them, but for the Longhorns, the Red River Rivalry means much more to them. I can see this being a trap game for Texas.

and also, I think it will be a good game. Neither team will give up. Texas will want to get revenge and Iowa State wants to prove they are not a bottom feeder of the Big 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a good point, but usually Texas is a Top 10 team and in no real threat for an upset. Also, Nebraska is different than Iowa State. I went to a small college in Nebraska and I think they overlooked Texas. Texas had lost to UCLA and Oklahoma, so NU fans thought it was gonna be an easy win. ISU, this will be like the 2nd Super Bowl for them, and it means more. So, I think Iowa State's atmosphere Saturday will be a little different than Nebraska's last year. This game is just as big as Baylor to them, but for the Longhorns, the Red River Rivalry means much more to them. I can see this being a trap game for Texas.

Texas has no trap games on the schedule, not one. This comes with a 5-7 season, and playing a ton of freshmen and sophmores that have already seen firsthand what taking teams lightly does.

I think you don't think very much at all about how Texas views this game, which is clearly evident.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not after last year, thats why im going with Texas.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would have a point, had Iowa State not beaten Texas last year. Mack Brown has publicly stated that loss was the LOWEST point of the year for them. If you think it's even vaguely possible they're taking ISU for granted I don't know what to tell you.

Fair enough. I think you are probably right about the loss last year helping them out but if you dont think that these 4 and 5 star young kids from Texas that grew up watching Iowa State get beat by 50 by the Horns dont still partially think in the back of their head that Iowa State is just Iowa State then I think you are probably wrong. Also you talk about the Horns playing tons of big games but thats not entirely true. Your team is really young and the majority of your team didnt play when Texas was great 2 years ago and the rest of them only know 5-7 and games against scrubs. I think itll be a pretty good game though.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I think you are probably right about the loss last year helping them out but if you dont think that these 4 and 5 star young kids from Texas that grew up watching Iowa State get beat by 50 by the Horns dont still partially think in the back of their head that Iowa State is just Iowa State then I think you are probably wrong. Also you talk about the Horns playing tons of big games but thats not entirely true. Your team is really young and the majority of your team didnt play when Texas was great 2 years ago and the rest of them only know 5-7 and games against scrubs. I think itll be a pretty good game though.

I'm sure there's a few immature kids on the team.....but there's enough kids on this team that went through last year to keep that in check. This team has a one game a week mentality and focus. They won't be taking ANYONE lightly this year.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just glad the game is this weekend. Itll give me something to watch since the hawks are off. Im a winner either way since if ISU loses I can do my normal ISU bashing and if the Horns lose I can troll Texas fans all week :) JK.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just glad the game is this weekend. Itll give me something to watch since the hawks are off. Im a winner either way since if ISU loses I can do my normal ISU bashing and if the Horns lose I can troll Texas fans all week :) JK.

Hey, I like ISU fans......they're great hosts, and although they don't tailgate as well as us Texans, they're really cool. Gotta lot of respect for the whole Jack Trice thing too. I've never had a bad time around ISU fans.