• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teams that fell short

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any squad in your teams history you thought could have won it all but fell short ?

I feel like the 1986 Seahawks could have won it all had they slipped in, they ended the season wining 5 straight in dominant fashion clicking on all cylinders, Curt Warner was one of the top backs in the league, defense was stuffing everyone, and they also beat both Super Bowl teams that year, Giants and Broncos … Final game of the year they beat the Broncos 41-16 … I mean they were on fire! No guarantees obviously, 86 Giants were beasts, but I still would have loved to see that particular team have a shot…. Even if they had lost in the post season, I would have been cool with it, but not seeing that team have the opportunity haunts me a bit even today…. 10 wins usually gets you in, but not that particular year …

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriots? All 3 Superbowl losses.
Against Green Bay all we had to do was tackle the returner.
on the ensuing kickoff, Desmond Howard returned the ball a then-Super Bowl record 99 yards for a touchdown. The score proved to be the last one, as both teams' defenses took over the rest of the game. Howard became the first special teams player ever to be named Super Bowl MVP. He gained a total of 154 kickoff return yards, and also recorded a then-Super Bowl record 90 punt return yards, thus tying the then-Super Bowl records of total return yards (244) and combined net yards gained (244).

Screw the helmet catch!

Welker, can you catch a ball? Asante Samuel can you catch that interception?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year of the choke job in Seattle in the NFC championship game

I hear ya on that, Pack were a legit title team that year, in all rights shoulda represented the NFC in the title game …

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on the ensuing kickoff, Desmond Howard returned the ball a then-Super Bowl record 99 yards for a touchdown. The score proved to be the last one, as both teams' defenses took over the rest of the game. Howard became the first special teams player ever to be named Super Bowl MVP. He gained a total of 154 kickoff return yards, and also recorded a then-Super Bowl record 90 punt return yards, thus tying the then-Super Bowl records of total return yards (244) and combined net yards gained (244).

Screw the helmet catch!

I know man, those games were just so close, when we lost our heartbreaker on the goal-line I knew very well Pats fans understood our pain … It’s tough losing those ones, especially when you guys were SO close to an undefeated season…

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
98 minnesota vikings.
DEFINITELY! Minny was legit that year! I watched that game, Atlanta pulled a rabbit out to pull off that NFC title game, I wanted to see Minnesota take on the Broncos that year! That woulda been one helluva Super-Bowl…

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know man, those games were just so close, when we lost our heartbreaker on the goal-line I knew very well Pats fans understood our pain … It’s tough losing those ones, especially when you guys were SO close to an undefeated season…
They all hurt - but winning the next one helps a bunch!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana to Taylor for winning score.
Boomer only 11 receptions out of 25 passes.....
Wow, Boomer had a bad day, and they still almost won it… I remember a dropped INT late that coulda potentially won the game for the Bengals…. If YouTube allows it, here it is…

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Screw the helmet catch!

That Green Bay one hurt. So close and then a couple of plays flipped it in favor of Packers. Got out-coached that day, besides the big play, and 4 INT by Bledsoe.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Green Bay one hurt. So close and then a couple of plays flipped it in favor of Packers. Got out-coached that day, besides the big play, and 4 INT by Bledsoe.
244 yards on kick returns - by a midget returner.
Howard got 244 yards on returns
Packers had 204 yards passing!

Last edited:

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1990 Niners were a freak fumble exchange between Young & Craig to advance to Super Bowl. Montana took a hard hit just before that. One first down the Niners play the Bills in the Super Bowl and certainly would have been first and only team to 3Peat.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few 49ers teams that really fell short.

The 1983 49ers
4th in points scored and 4th in points allowed. Montana had a great PB season. Dean and Board had 17.5 and 13 sacks, 3 defenders in the PB. Only went 10-6, but 2 losses were by 3pts and 2 others were by 5pts. We lost to Washington in the NFCCG, 24-21. Even skins fans will tell you that the refs made 2 BS PI calls that handed the Skins the trip to the SB, where karma ensured they lost to the Raiders.

The 1987 49ers
1st in points scored and yards gained. 3rd in points allowed, 1st in yards allowed. Montana, Craig, and Rice and 2 defenders in the PB. 13-2 record. We lost in the first rd to Minny. Dug a 20-3 hole at halftime and couldn't get back out of it. Couldn't protected Montana (4 sacks) against that Minny DL, and Young had to finish the game.

The 1990 49ers
See the post and link above.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston Oilers 1987-1993.

Didn't even make the AFC Title Game.

That was an epic underachievement.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DEFINITELY! Minny was legit that year! I watched that game, Atlanta pulled a rabbit out to pull off that NFC title game, I wanted to see Minnesota take on the Broncos that year! That woulda been one helluva Super-Bowl…
Denny Green blew that imo. They were up 20-7 with under 2 to go in first half, and had the ball. Cunningham was sacked I believe on 1st down on like their own 20 yard line. I figured they would play conservative and go into the locker with a 2 score lead. Green got greedy and Atl recovered fumble by Randall deep into Viking territory, and then scored a TD right before half, cutting it to a 1 score game