• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teams That Can Still Make The Playoff

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, Wake Forest did themselves no favors yesterday. Ditto Michigan State.

Baylor's razor thin shot is gone.

Cinci failed to make a statement and their SOS took another hit.

Georgia better demolish Bama in the CCG

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked the SEC vs Big Ten bowl games during the playoff era:

Both teams in Top-10 / SEC 3-1
Both teams ranked 11-25 / SEC 4-3
Unranked Big Ten team vs Ranked SEC team / SEC 2-1
Unranked SEC team vs Ranked Big Ten team / Big Ten 2-1
Both teams unranked / SEC 4-0

So breaking it down amongst comparably ranked teams the SEC holds a 11-4 advantage over the Big Ten. And the only category there that the Big Ten actually leads is when their team is ranked and is playing against an unranked SEC team.

Your numbers look good to me. That said another way to look at it is any game involving a ranked team the matchups are 10-7 in favor of the SEC.

The middle to bottom of the BIG isn't as good as the SEC pretty much any year. But the BIG is capable of providing the SEC a reasonable challenge among the top 6 or so schools and those records show that.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Cincinnati beat Notre Lame?
I have never heard of Notre Lame before. They do not appear anywhere on Cincinnati's schedule. :crazy:

But in all seriousness, currently I have Cincinnati ranked #2 in the country. Beating Notre Dame on the road by 11 points is quite a feat of accomplishment. My commentary is not me being biased or a homer. The issue here is that committee doesn't care about wins against strong G5 programs. They care about wins against P5 programs. If you look down the stretch, you will see that they have SMU and Houston/SMU in the AAC Championship game. If Notre Dame runs the table, they'll have 4 wins against P5 teams with a .500 or better record.

The same story goes with UTSA and Houston. Great programs. No shot at getting into the top 4.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never heard of Notre Lame before. They do not appear anywhere on Cincinnati's schedule. :crazy:

But in all seriousness, currently I have Cincinnati ranked #2 in the country. Beating Notre Dame on the road by 11 points is quite a feat of accomplishment. My commentary is not me being biased or a homer. The issue here is that committee doesn't care about wins against strong G5 programs. They care about wins against P5 programs. If you look down the stretch, you will see that they have SMU and Houston/SMU in the AAC Championship game. If Notre Dame runs the table, they'll have 4 wins against P5 teams with a .500 or better record.

The same story goes with UTSA and Houston. Great programs. No shot at getting into the top 4.
K

Who else have they played?

And we aren’t playing the 7 degrees of Kevin bacon here

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about the AP rankings? They have no bearing on anything.

You may as well reference the message board top 25 rankings.
Can Minnesota still make the playoff? I'm sure Freddie can come up with a scenerio where that could happen.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Minnesota still make the playoff? I'm sure Freddie can come up with a scenerio where that could happen.

He'll probably talk about how the Cheez-It bowl is just as good as the Rose Bowl.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated as of 11/8. The ACC is done. Popping UM back onto the list since MSU shit the bed and reopened their path to the B1G Championship. Yall can argue all you want, but this is the definitive list.

AAC
Cincinnati

Big 12
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St

Big 10
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio St

Independents
Notre Dame

Pac-12
Oregon

SEC
Georgia
Alabama

As far as how it plays out:

If UGA beats Bama....
1.UGA
2 1-loss B1G winner
3. Oregon
4. 1-loss Big 12 winner
5. Undefeated Cinci
6. Bama
7. Notre Dame

If Bama beats UGA...
1. Bama
2. 1-loss B1G winner
3. Georgia
4. Oregon
5. 1-loss Big 12 winner
6. Undefeated Cinci
7. Notre Dame

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Updated as of 11/8. The ACC is done. Popping UM back onto the list since MSU shit the bed and reopened their path to the B1G Championship. Yall can argue all you want, but this is the definitive list.

AAC
Cincinnati

Big 12
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St

Big 10
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio St

Independents
Notre Dame

Pac-12
Oregon

SEC
Georgia
Alabama

As far as how it plays out:

If UGA beats Bama....
1.UGA
2 1-loss B1G winner
3. Oregon
4. 1-loss Big 12 winner
5. Undefeated Cinci
6. Bama
7. Notre Dame

If Bama beats UGA...
1. Bama
2. 1-loss B1G winner
3. Georgia
4. Oregon
5. 1-loss Big 12 winner
6. Undefeated Cinci
7. Notre Dame

Awfully bold of you to assume a 1-loss tOSU team is above Oregon.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say it with me.............

"STANFORD MATTERS"..........
Obviously the committee feels that quality wins outweigh stupid loss. Also the committee probably saw the way Oregon lost that game. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? Oregon still has head to head, and tOSU has beaten no one.
Current SOR is nearly identical for the two teams. While Oregon's SOS is currently significantly higher, tOSU should close the gap pretty quickly.

But at the end of the day the only thing that matters is how the playoff committee ranks them. They've clearly set up tOSU to jump Oregon with those two remaining games (UM and MSU)

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the committee feels that quality wins outweigh stupid loss. Also the committee probably saw the way Oregon lost that game. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
The committee has a 4 loss Mississippi State team in their top 25. I repeat, a football team that lost 4 times.

That says everything about their feelings. They’ve completely fallen off the rails.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way.
Cincy is out after that game. Oregon doesn’t even belong there losing to Stanford. Your boys did as well as OU did. Right now it’s gonna be a fight for the #4 slot.
How in the world a 1 loss pac 10 team is even in the top 10 is beyond me. They beat a good team I know but you can’t have them above any unbeaten power 5 teams.