• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Team Speed

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's implosion aside...

....has anyone else noticed that the Flyers seem to be .... slow.

As a team. There is no real speed. No plan to use speed. Yes Berube talks skating, but they still spend half the game taking and making passes from a stationary position. That, and none of the players on this team are going to scare you with their skating...either because of how they are used or the lack of overall team skating forcing players not to create gaps....

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with speed

They took their opponent for granted and they got fucking burnt like they deserved to - Craig Berube is a shitty fucking coach, I've ripped him numerous times about a lack of accountability and he never shows it - I'm tired of this shit - he's probably saying the same shit after the game like he does every game - I'm wearing thin on his inability to back up his words

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again,
this observation was not about todays game but an overall assessment of the team speed.

Giroux, Voracek, Rinaldo and Read all can skate with anyone. Simmonds is fine after his second stride. Cooter and Lavy have a big stride and cover a lot of ice but relatively slow first stride. Raffl looks good so far. Hall relies on positional play to overcome his lack of speed.

The Blueline as a group is slow. Timonon has lost over a stride in the past two seasons. His back issues have prevented him from striding fully. Streit has decent skating ability but horrible possitional sense. L Schenn is a better skater than his brother by position, but he must be paired with a mobile defenseman, same for Grossmann. Coby can skate in open ice but is as slow or slower than Grossmann in tight spaces.

Basically, the same shortsighted decision process that assembled a team that was not suited to play Lavvy's "system" assembled a team that lacks overall team speed. Watch the Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Red Wings, Blue Jackets, Penguins and ...well, any team out west. The Flyers spend too much time standing still and passing to stationary players and not enough time generating skating room and speed. Too many players have slow first steps, play poor positionally or lack the strength on their skates to be effective at speed.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually think the flyers biggest problems are refusal to drive the net and being terrified of icing the puck.

how many times do we have to watch the top 6 drive wide, leave it for a teammate who circles around.. back to the point.. across.. back down low.. circle around.. change direction.. behind the net again.. you don't score playing perimeter hockey. the only way to score is if the defense or goalie makes a big mistake, a la, coots' goal yesterday. i feel like the flyers cant generate goals unless they're on the PP. their even strength goals come from opponent mishaps or off the rush.

and i saw at least three or four times yesterday where the flyers had a chance to just rip the puck down the ice 15-20 seconds in to a shift, but rather than do that, they tried to make a pass or a move, turned the puck over, and ended up with a minute plus trying to defend the caps in their zone. icing sucks. but turning the puck over and letting them cycle is much much worse. if you just rip the puck down the ice the first time you touch it, it's early in your shift and you can win the face off and break out. the more you dilly dally the worse icing becomes.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i actually think the flyers biggest problems are refusal to drive the net and being terrified of icing the puck.

how many times do we have to watch the top 6 drive wide, leave it for a teammate who circles around.. back to the point.. across.. back down low.. circle around.. change direction.. behind the net again.. you don't score playing perimeter hockey. the only way to score is if the defense or goalie makes a big mistake, a la, coots' goal yesterday. i feel like the flyers cant generate goals unless they're on the PP. their even strength goals come from opponent mishaps or off the rush.

and i saw at least three or four times yesterday where the flyers had a chance to just rip the puck down the ice 15-20 seconds in to a shift, but rather than do that, they tried to make a pass or a move, turned the puck over, and ended up with a minute plus trying to defend the caps in their zone. icing sucks. but turning the puck over and letting them cycle is much much worse. if you just rip the puck down the ice the first time you touch it, it's early in your shift and you can win the face off and break out. the more you dilly dally the worse icing becomes.

Actually, they seem to ice the puck a lot, maybe that's just me

But I hate how they try to play really cute sometimes, just shoot the damn puck, two of Couts goals this season have come from plays where he just flicked the puck on net from a crazy angle and scored - that should be enough proof for the rest of the team

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, they seem to ice the puck a lot, maybe that's just me

But I hate how they try to play really cute sometimes, just shoot the damn puck, two of Couts goals this season have come from plays where he just flicked the puck on net from a crazy angle and scored - that should be enough proof for the rest of the team

maybe it was just an isolated incident.. yesterday was the only day i really noticed the icing thing

agree completely on the 2nd part. shoot the puck and crash for rebounds. granted, they have a very hard time putting the puck on net.