1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teach Me About Jon Boats

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Darrell Green Fan, May 5, 2018.

1. Edisto_Tiger

Edisto_Tiger Member Sporting a Natty

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,809

You would have to buy a new foot controlled motor. You can't convert tiller handles over to foot control.

And you can certainly use your transom mount motor, if that's what you're accustom too. The foot pedal just lets you drive the boat "hands-free."

2. Darrell Green Fan

Darrell Green Fan Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Thanks for the reply, and I'm really liking that idea of a foot pedal. But can I get away with just one, mounted on the front and use it to get where I'm going as well as while fishing? I have no idea where I'll be taking it but I don't see huge lakes with a lot of water to travel. What about this one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Minn-Kot...66001f5-623ad9e7-edc9c837ecf1a371&athena=true

3. Edisto_Tiger

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,809

Yes, you will only need the one. It will get you any where you need to go. I fish a 45-50 acre pond/lake regularly on mine.

Not only is it nice to be able to fish and drive the boat, but with the motor up front, pulling the boat, the wind won't blow the bow around. That is the main reason I bought a bow mount foot pedal. I fish a lot by myself and I would be in the back of the boat with my transom mount trolling motor, so all the weight was in the back of the boat and if the wind got gusty it would blow the front of the boat around. That won't happen with a bow mount.

4. Edisto_Tiger

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,809

And that trolling motor you listed will be plenty for a jon boat.

5. Darrell Green Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Great info, thanks again. Last question: will a 14 foot say 36" wide be stable on a lake that size in the wind?

6. Edisto_Tiger

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,809

Now that I can not answer. I fish in a 16' X 42". And it's an old gamefisher boat that I took the outboard off of and it's beyond stable.

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 3.55.05 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bridgeburner

Bridgeburner LIGHT YOUR BONFIRES

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

Just get yourself a kayak.

Maybe we can get a deal if we order (2) Big Rigs. Come one. We can be fish-buddies. We'll hold hands n shit. 1 coke, 2 straws.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Darrell Green Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Where I came from coke and straws had a different connotation.

I'm actually thinking about getting 2 open kayaks. Wife was a big kayaker, she had a sea kayak. But I'm tall and I just can't get in and out of those things well. I think I could fish from a kayak while she paddles around and does girl shit. She won't let me fish when I'm near her, something about hooks flying through the air or some such nonsense.

9. Bridgeburner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

You need to look into some fishing kayaks my man. You aren't too tall. Google:

Jackson Big Rig
    Diablo Amigo
    FeelFree Lure

They're nearly the size of a jon boat but lighter and easier to transport. Like 3' wide and 12-13' long. Comfy chairs. Stability.

10. Bridgeburner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

My wife refuses to fish too. But still wants a yak. Probably so she can follow me around on the water bitching and saying irritating shit like "where are your pants" or "stop smelling that".

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Darrell Green Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

If I'm gonna drop that kind of coin I may as well get a jon boat.

12. Bridgeburner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

Well, they're about the same size, and cost. The yak will just be more stable (assuming roughly the same size), lighter, and more comfortable.

13. Darrell Green Fan

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

The open plastic ones say they have a 225 limit, yeah I'm 25 over that. I think I"ll be alright. If I'm getting a yak I want one that's easy to transport, if I want something as big as your suggestion I'll get a jon boat and trailer,

14. Bridgeburner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

It's all what you are looking for my man. Just throwing options at you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bridgeburner

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 200

I've looked into jon boats myself thinking that something like that would work for my boy and I. I'm just not seeing the kind of stability I want in a smaller jon (less than 48" wide). And when you get to the 48" point it starts getting expensive. I think I would need a 1648 to be happy with the performance and at that point you are in the area of 5k. And honestly my boy is 6'-3" and 280 now (plays DE for his high school). He's a big bastard. That sucks up a lot of the weight limit on a smaller jon.

For us, 2 kayaks seem to be the ticket. I can throw them in the back of the truck without a trailer too.

16. amszete

amszete STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Hey Maize,

How is the electric motor doing for you? Do you still like it? How would this thing do on a river? I was thinking of getting something like this to pilot my Final Attack boat that could do ponds, lakes and creek areas of rivers. Thoughts?

17. MAIZEandBLUE09

MAIZEandBLUE09 Well-Known, and Feared, Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Embarrassingly, I haven't actually taken it out for a full test run yet. Michigan makes you register anything you put a motor on, so I still have to go get it registered to be legal. I still haven't gotten to take it all out yet. I'm hoping to do that before the end of Fall. I've taken the boat down the river a few times sans motor, and I love it.