• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TD in retrospect

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday was a major disappointment, and waste of several hours watching the coverage oh the TD.

However a few good players were moved that I wished the Flyers either knew about or were in on. These players are Ben Bishop, Keith Aulie & Zack Kassian they would have all been great additions to our team and I don't think they would have cost us that much.

Ben Bishop is going to be a solid NHL goaltender who costs $685k and went to the Sens for a 2nd rounder. He's been tearing it up in the AHL and honestly with the inconsistency we've had in goal i would have been very happy to see us having Bishop also around so that if Bryz/Bob falter we have another option that isn't Leighton.

Keith Aulie is a 6'5 shutdown defensemen who plays with "sand" as Burke said that reminds me of someone but if I could only remember who. He went to TB for a forward prospect that honestly I don't now too much about the guys. The reason he was traded was because of Tor's depth at D and the development of Jake Gardiner. If the Flyers had been able to land him for a F prospects or 2 that woudlahve been a huge addition to our team for the further.

Zack Kassian was shipped to Van with Grangani(sp?) fo Cody hodgson. Kassian is a big F 6'4 225lbs, think Milan Lucic. He's big and plays mean, he drives the net hard and doesn't minding fighting at all. This is the type of guy we really need on our 3rd line. Now he would have been the hardest to acquire, it would have probably taken at least Read and a 2nd(possibly another defensive prospect). He would have been the perfect guy to throw out on the 2nd PP to sit in front of the net and he's skilled enough the if you play him on the 1st line he'll fit in without hurting you and make space for your stars(he's rumored to be playing W with the Sedins in Van now).

These are just 3 guys that I would have loved to hear Homer say he looked into getting as they would all be great additions to our team. I know it makes no difference now, but what do you guys think and did you see anyone else that interested you?

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't have wanted Kassian-hometown boy that played for the Spits here.

He's a clone of Steve Downie(also played for Spits),in that he also has talent but takes way too many undisciplined penalties,and is always a hit away from a suspension.

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ben Bishop is a guy that would have been nice to add.

Aulie is gonna be good, but tampa gave up Aston and former 1st rounder, who is playing well in Northfolk in the ahl, that deal was good for both teams, tampa needed D, Buds needed centerman. Flyers didn't have anybody to give.

Flyers 1st rounder this year hopefully is gonna be a stud Dman, Flyers have so much YOUNG forward depth, they need to focus on young D now.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't have wanted Kassian-hometown boy that played for the Spits here.

He's a clone of Steve Downie(also played for Spits),in that he also has talent but takes way too many undisciplined penalties,and is always a hit away from a suspension.

That's the kind of guy we need now, it would allow us to segway out of having goons on our team(Shelley and to a lesser degree Sestito). Lucic is the new model for an enforcer imo, the guy will fight anyone and is still gonna put up about 50 its a year. Kassian is built in that mold and the biggest difference between him and Downie is that Downie is a complete psycho. Plus, the locker room we have now would probably do Kassian a ton of good, I mean who wouldn't want to learn the game form Jagr?

Ben Bishop is a guy that would have been nice to add.

Aulie is gonna be good, but tampa gave up Aston and former 1st rounder, who is playing well in Northfolk in the ahl, that deal was good for both teams, tampa needed D, Buds needed centerman. Flyers didn't have anybody to give.

Flyers 1st rounder this year hopefully is gonna be a stud Dman, Flyers have so much YOUNG forward depth, they need to focus on young D now.

I disagree that we had nothing to give up for Aulie. We have Read and Vorachek not that I'm particularly fond of giving either of them away but I could see dealing them for a bluechip defensive prospect who can replace captain injury. It's that young depth at F that would have allowed us to send Tor a NHL ready F to help them now.

The only fear I have of this draft year is that all the D-men will be gone by the time the Flyers pick, or they'll go the route of trying to find a replacement for Timo(fast puck-moving) instead of the Pronger mold(big, physical, defensively oriented & plays with an edge). In either case we only have one 1st rounder so it's not like we couldn't have used Aulie or another D-man of his caliber.

I'm not saying that we should have gotten wall or even any of them, but it would be nice to know that Homer at least looked at these players as I feel they would all help our team out very much in the future.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the kind of guy we need now, it would allow us to segway out of having goons on our team(Shelley and to a lesser degree Sestito). Lucic is the new model for an enforcer imo, the guy will fight anyone and is still gonna put up about 50 its a year. Kassian is built in that mold and the biggest difference between him and Downie is that Downie is a complete psycho. Plus, the locker room we have now would probably do Kassian a ton of good, I mean who wouldn't want to learn the game form Jagr?

I disagree that we had nothing to give up for Aulie. We have Read and Vorachek not that I'm particularly fond of giving either of them away but I could see dealing them for a bluechip defensive prospect who can replace captain injury. It's that young depth at F that would have allowed us to send Tor a NHL ready F to help them now.

The only fear I have of this draft year is that all the D-men will be gone by the time the Flyers pick, or they'll go the route of trying to find a replacement for Timo(fast puck-moving) instead of the Pronger mold(big, physical, defensively oriented & plays with an edge). In either case we only have one 1st rounder so it's not like we couldn't have used Aulie or another D-man of his caliber.

I'm not saying that we should have gotten wall or even any of them, but it would be nice to know that Homer at least looked at these players as I feel they would all help our team out very much in the future.

Have to disagree
Flyers already have Hartnell,Simmonds,and to a lesser degree Talbot,who can put up points and mix it up.

Makes no sense to go after a guy like Kassian when the problem is defence and goaltending.

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with 4th Street here. Giving up Read is a mistake. He is one of the best rookie scorers out there, and can play special teams. And I don't think VOracek would bring back a guy like Kassian.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Kassian who fought Sestito and Sestito was injured and required groin surgery. Kassian is a pretty tough dude.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you guys are saying. I guess I'm still looking at the bigger picture, just like with our cap and future implications.

Last season we were physically dominated by the Bruins, I mean they beat the shit out of us. Now we were missing Pronger for parts of that series, Carter went down(not that he's physical) & Richie was suffering through shoulder and wrist problems so we were banged up. In the off season Homer went and addressed some of the needs with Schenn, Talbot, Vorachek & Simmonds all of those guys play bigger then they are which is what we need. The problem is so far this season both the Bruins and the Rags have been more physical then us as well as out worked us in every game we've played against them.

Now at the deadline Homer got Grossman and Kubina, 2 big physical D-men who should help police the crease(which we desperately needed since Coburn and Mez really weren't). I look at our team now and I see a lot of promise and potential, but I'm not sure we can beat the Bruins or Rags in a series unless this team gets a lot more physical. I'm relatively sure Bryz will figure shit out enough to at least give us solid goaltending before the playoffs(though I don't expect him to be stellar). We also lead the league in GPG now, so we could afford to give up some scoring power for another big, strong, gritty, physical F to help us compete against the Bruins and Rags D-men who seem to be pretty damn god at keeping the crease clean.

I guess i'd just like the balance the lines out a bit more with a big net presence on each line. We already have Hartnell & Simmonds a third big body to crash the net would be really nice. JVR and Schenn could fill that role but are also really skilled puck movers and limiting them to the 4 ft surrounding the net & I don't think Sestito has the skill to be that guy. It's prob something that would be nice to have,but not entirely nessecary.

I think I have could have gotten one of the 3 it would have bee Aulie though since I think D is going to be our biggest need for the future.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Kassian who fought Sestito and Sestito was injured and required groin surgery. Kassian is a pretty tough dude.

Not to mention he had like 6 hits and 2-3 scoring chances that game, which is why I thought he's be a good fit.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't really want Bishop too much.....until I found out he went for a SECOND ROUNDER. I thought because of his hot streak and potential that he would have a big price tag. I'd give up a 2nd for him any day.

I wish we would have pursued that one a bit more. I wouldn't have given up JvR, but I would have given more than a simple 2nd rounder. Damnit.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares? We have Bryzgalov. :)

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't really want Bishop too much.....until I found out he went for a SECOND ROUNDER. I thought because of his hot streak and potential that he would have a big price tag. I'd give up a 2nd for him any day.

I wish we would have pursued that one a bit more. I wouldn't have given up JvR, but I would have given more than a simple 2nd rounder. Damnit.

I thought the exact same thing when I heard that. I figured with his hype and the build-up to the TD with teams needing goalies he'd have been a 1st & a prospect. I would have given up a 2nd + something just so other tams didn't get him. I think his deal next year is 2 way too, but I may be mistaken.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sestito basically wrecked him, but he fell awkwardly and got hurt. Freak thing.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with 4th Street here. Giving up Read is a mistake. He is one of the best rookie scorers out there, and can play special teams. And I don't think VOracek would bring back a guy like Kassian.

I wouldn't trade Voracek anyways. He is probably the most underrated guy on the team.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trade Voracek anyways. He is probably the most underrated guy on the team.
I knew someone noticed what a great 2 way players he is other that me

I have noticed what a good 2-way player he's been this year, however he was wildly inconsistent before getting here and this is a contract year for him. The thing that worries me is that he's going to want a Leino type contract and based off 1 good year there is no way the Flyers can justify that kind of price tag(or even pay it if they wanted to now). My thought here was that the only 2 F they may deal were Read and Vorachek, unless they were presented with a deal that was ridiculous in which case they might have moved JVR.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have noticed what a good 2-way player he's been this year, however he was wildly inconsistent before getting here and this is a contract year for him. The thing that worries me is that he's going to want a Leino type contract and based off 1 good year there is no way the Flyers can justify that kind of price tag(or even pay it if they wanted to now). My thought here was that the only 2 F they may deal were Read and Vorachek, unless they were presented with a deal that was ridiculous in which case they might have moved JVR.

IMO if Voracek asks for leino money we have a problem but i think he would deserve that kind of money way more than Leino does and we all know i think he deserves the 4.25 more than JVR does.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO if Voracek asks for leino money we have a problem but i think he would deserve that kind of money way more than Leino does and we all know i think he deserves the 4.25 more than JVR does.

I'd give voracek leino money before I would have given Leino Leino money.

I too am afraid he will ask for a lot. Not a fan of 1 year deals AT ALL. But at least he is a rfa.