• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taxes paid to California by athletes in 2010

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
which is the latest year of available data (via SportsCenter). This whole thing is being discussed because Phil Mickelson is in the news because of comments he made about paying taxes in California. Thought I'd pass this along since it's California and the 49ers are related in this.

Sport - In millions of $

MLB - 61.4

NFL - 42.0

NBA - 37.3

NHL - 16.0

PGA - 6.8

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is a single soccer player in France, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, that pays about $60 million in taxes every year.......at least his team pays the taxes for him......because he is guaranteed a net wage of 14 million euros (about $22 million), and with extreme French taxes of 75% on the top bracket, his contract is over $80 million per year. If you include the cost of purchasing him last year, he costs his team over $100 million per season. Its good to be an oil sheikh like their owner I guess.

Completely insane but puts it into perspective that America is the best place to be rich.....even California.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a single soccer player in France, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, that pays about $60 million in taxes every year.......at least his team pays the taxes for him......because he is guaranteed a net wage of 14 million euros (about $22 million), and with extreme French taxes of 75% on the top bracket, his contract is over $80 million per year. If you include the cost of purchasing him last year, he costs his team over $100 million per season. Its good to be an oil sheikh like their owner I guess.

Completely insane but puts it into perspective that America is the best place to be rich.....even California.

Yeah, I think I'd be unhappy if I had to BOTH live in France, AND pay most of my earnings in taxes. Not denigrating the French the way the Bush supporters did during the run up to the war in Iraq, just saying it's not nearly a cool enough country to pay that kind of tax in.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
France blows...been there a bunch for work.

yehyeh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see this is turning into a France bashing thread, but that 75% tax bracket never went into effect. It was struck down by the courts. It's still only 46%, which is lower than what you pay in income taxes in California.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I see this is turning into a France bashing thread, but that 75% tax bracket never went into effect. It was struck down by the courts. It's still only 46%, which is lower than what you pay in income taxes in California.

Plus, they actually hold you upside down by your ankles in California and shake you to see if any coins fall out. I get dizzy every time that happens.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think I'd be unhappy if I had to BOTH live in France, AND pay most of my earnings in taxes. Not denigrating the French the way the Bush supporters did during the run up to the war in Iraq, just saying it's not nearly a cool enough country to pay that kind of tax in.

Oh my goodness, I probably shouldn't be telling anyone this, but I skipped the "un" in "unhappy" and the "not nearly" when I was skimming this post. Totally had a different takeaway from what you said. I was going to say, then move to France. Then, I reread it. I slept an average of 4 hours for the last three days (not my worst yet, I've slept less before).

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see this is turning into a France bashing thread, but that 75% tax bracket never went into effect.

Ah, hadn't even realized this....thanks for the heads up, I can stop citing it now. But don't mistake that taxes are higher here than in France - Mickelson hasn't paid 46% in his life. Get a good accountant and use some of the numerous legal tax shelters and suddenly you're paying less than Average Joe. And FWIW, the payroll taxes (SSI, Medicare) stop being charged after the first $110,000 or whatever it is, for a max of $7000.....so most of Phil's income isn't subject to that either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, hadn't even realized this....thanks for the heads up, I can stop citing it now. But don't mistake that taxes are higher here than in France - Mickelson hasn't paid 46% in his life. Get a good accountant and use some of the numerous legal tax shelters and suddenly you're paying less than Average Joe. And FWIW, the payroll taxes (SSI, Medicare) stop being charged after the first $110,000 or whatever it is, for a max of $7000.....so most of Phil's income isn't subject to that either.

+1

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nevermind.