• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Talk to me about effects pedals

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought about putting this in the Tech forum, but that board is mostly about phones and computers.

What do some of you guys use? I'm just playing straight through an amp right now but I want to experiment with my sound a little. Not looking to go all out just yet. Should I start with a simple chorus or distortion pedal? What are some good brands?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought about putting this in the Tech forum, but that board is mostly about phones and computers.

What do some of you guys use? I'm just playing straight through an amp right now but I want to experiment with my sound a little. Not looking to go all out just yet. Should I start with a simple chorus or distortion pedal? What are some good brands?

I'm a percussionist....so your quandary is a bit above my pay grade...sorry, brah.

I'd suggest asking @blindbaby ?

Or maybe ask in the general forum where there's more traffic.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a percussionist....so your quandary is a bit above my pay grade...sorry, brah.

I'd suggest asking @blindbaby ?

Or maybe ask in the general forum where there's more traffic.
Gen-pop is where all the tards are!

I think Blindbaby is a keyboardist mostly but we'll see if he chimes in. He seems like an equipment buff

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Blindbaby is a keyboardist mostly but we'll see if he chimes in. He seems like an equipment buff
Yeah...he's pretty knowledgeable about that.

Also fyi...icymi...Guitar Center recently filed for bankruptcy...and I know for a fact they carry a pretty decent line of guitar related equipment....and they're likely having some good sales going on now.
Pretty sure they have locations in NYC and around the tri state area.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I did play guitar for 25 years but had to quit due to focal dystonia. I'm actually in the process of resolving that condition so who knows, I may just take it up again. I still have an acoustic.

At any rate, I'll give my $0.02:

I don't know what type of amp you have, but you're going to want to have some kind of overdrive/distortion, either from the amp or from a pedal. Having an equalizer pedal is great too. Most rooms will make your lower notes sound too muddy, therefore making some chords sound undesirable. This can sometimes be attributed to the room instead of just the voicing of the chord. An equalizer will fix this problem. I always liked having some reverb. Most amps have this function, but few amps have a built-in reverb that sounds any good (at least IMO). Chorus and delay are nice to have but I didn't really use a lot of those two effects.

In summary, I would probably buy an all in one effects rack/pedal. They can be had cheaply these days and they sound decent enough. Zoom makes the best budget all in one effects pedal/rack I've heard. Roland/Boss make great pedals as well as decent effects racks if you want to spend a bit more money.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also fyi...icymi...Guitar Center recently filed for bankruptcy...and I know for a fact they carry a pretty decent line of guitar related equipment....and they're likely having some good sales going on now.
Pretty sure they have locations in NYC and around the tri state area.
Yeah, I saw that. There's a Center not far from where I live, but they've got very limited hours already due to the pandemic.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, with an equalizer, make sure you have a minimum of 7 bands, Five band equalizers are basically mid-range equalizers and won't cut out any shitty bass tones.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In summary, I would probably buy an all in one effects rack/pedal. They can be had cheaply these days and they sound decent enough. Zoom makes the best budget all in one effects pedal/rack I've heard. Roland/Boss make great pedals as well as decent effects racks if you want to spend a bit more money.
Thanks Bro...will start some research on those

I'm currently using my old Behringer bass amp with my electric. It sounds decent enough but it's basic, no effects. Just Gain, Bass, Treble, and Mid dials. Also, my Squier Strat is SSS on the pups, no humbucker. I talked to the local luthier about switching out the bridge pickup but he talked me out of it. Said "save it for when you get a real Strat"