• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tablet recommendations

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a Samsung 10" Tablet that's probably at least 5 years old. It was nice when everything worked properly, but now it's getting quirky so I'm looking for a replacement.

I'll use it for basic things like Zoom sessions and watching videos. 10" has worked well for that, I wouldn't want to go smaller.

There's an Office Max and Target near me, and I noticed they're both selling the same model Samsung 10". LIsts for $229 at both stores; Office Max has it on sale this week for $179.

(FYI, when I bought my previous tablet, I waited for one of the two stores to go below $300. I can't remember which one did.)

Target also has some "bargain" brands, such as an Amazon FIre for about $100.

Any recommendations?

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a Samsung 10" Tablet that's probably at least 5 years old. It was nice when everything worked properly, but now it's getting quirky so I'm looking for a replacement.

I'll use it for basic things like Zoom sessions and watching videos. 10" has worked well for that, I wouldn't want to go smaller.

There's an Office Max and Target near me, and I noticed they're both selling the same model Samsung 10". LIsts for $229 at both stores; Office Max has it on sale this week for $179.

(FYI, when I bought my previous tablet, I waited for one of the two stores to go below $300. I can't remember which one did.)

Target also has some "bargain" brands, such as an Amazon FIre for about $100.

Any recommendations?
I would spend the extra cash and get an Ipad, love mine. Think they're #329. I've got a 6th-gen, and I especially like using the Apple Pencil I with it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would spend the extra cash and get an Ipad, love mine. Think they're #329. I've got a 6th-gen, and I especially like using the Apple Pencil I with it.
Yeah I would agree and I've owned more then a dozen different tablets androids, surface, fire tablet and a Ipad is so so much better and it's not even close.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I would agree and I've owned more then a dozen different tablets androids, surface, fire tablet and a Ipad is so so much better and it's not even close.
I had one old Android tab before, that wasn't bad. But with the ipad, i've set it up as central command - stock and bank app, all bills. It's fast and I can do all the login and stuff really easily with the fingerprint thing.

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stick with Android. Way more customizable. Apple are proprietary nazis

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The choice of 'proprietary nazis' vs "google and facebook see everything you do is built into the platform" is between the devil you know and don't. :2cents:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general I agree, but the iPad is so superior that it's worth putting up with Apple.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have an Android phone though, the Pixel 3a

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general I agree, but the iPad is so superior that it's worth putting up with Apple.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I've got my Samsung galaxy Tab S7 set up the way I want it and I don't have to jailbreak it to make it do what I want.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll have to agree to disagree. I've got my Samsung galaxy Tab S7 set up the way I want it and I don't have to jailbreak it to make it do what I want.
I did buy a Galaxy for my father, he really likes it.
I stick to andriod phones also samsung note 20 ultra
Damn that's a big 'un. Do you use that stylus?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not much TBH but the big screen helps with my fat fingers and fading eyesight. LOL

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I owned a galaxy tablet long ago and hated it, but I'm sure the newer versions are much better but once I tried a iPad I was hooked, those iPad tablets rock. I own 3 different versions of them.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wound up getting the Tablet mentioned in my initial post, Samsung Galaxy A7.

The biggest negative is the poorly organized documentation. It took me quite a while just to find a User's Manual for my specific model, and some of the manual still doesn't exactly match my tablet. One particularly annoying feature is the "dynamic lock". When I turn on the tablet, and swipe to open, I get a "dynamic lock" screen. After numerous google searches, I found out that the way to get past that is "swipe left". The instructions for disabling it don't match what my Settings app displays for that, so I'm worried if I tinker with that I might lock myself out entirely.

However, all things considered, it's a pretty good deal for under $200. Target sells keyboards for IPads that cost more than that.

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I owned a galaxy tablet long ago and hated it, but I'm sure the newer versions are much better but once I tried a iPad I was hooked, those iPad tablets rock. I own 3 different versions of them.
to each their own. :beer:

dcrising

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm glad he does and there's all sorts of customizations he can do with it in his spare time.