• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

T. Williams demanding a trade or new deal

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of things to consider. He is making $14.7 million the next two years. The past three years he has played 12, 10 and 13 games. He has only played 16 games twice, in his 3rd and 4th years. He is probably the best Redskin player in a very long time. When right he is awesome. He will be 33 before the 2021 season. I think that will be near the end of the line for Trent. Maybe give him a pay raise and an extra year. If he does decline you can cut him before the third year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who didn't know that this day was coming? For those not paying attention, aging veterans league wide generally want that last big payday and Williams is no different than anyone else.

Two years ago I suggested that it was time to draft his replacement. Some say that Geron Christian was supposed to be that guy, what a joke! Nothing against Christian's potential, but there's a huge difference between selecting a left tackle 4th overall and another in the 3rd round of the draft.

Two years ago, I also began the conversation about trading Williams and once more was met with almost complete opposition. July 19th and Williams will be 31 years old, he's a 7 time all pro, wears the "C" on his jersey and when healthy is considered one of , if not the very best at his job in the league, but father time remains undefeated and skills rapidly diminish. Williams still has marketable skills and I'm suggesting once again that it's time to get value for him before those marketable skills are gone.

Who would replace him? I don't know, but what I do know, concerns the shortsightedness that this front office displayed in not addressing what now appears to be an untenable situation at the most important offensive line position.

BTW: In the current thread "Keenum" a couple of us were already talking about certain players that this team should trade or not!

well STY , the worst thing that happens is we get a 3 round comp pick for him and salary cap relief . we have a new CBA coming so who knows what will happen and how much money will be there but i see a pretty big increase coming

so whats the going rate for an "aging " top 3 LT coming back from cancer ?

now as for geron christian , i am not writing the guy off after one injury filled season . i will refer you to the OTA thread and the minicamp thread as to who we have to step in if he is traded in a year the HC is in the HOT seat

i will open a williams options thread up and how the team can handle it soon after i gather some data up sty

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams has no leverage. He sits out this year and his career is effectively over. No one is going to give up too much to trade for him now, that might come as the trade deadline looms later in the year once injuries have hit. But that is after the season has commenced.

Call his bluff. Save the contract extension for Scherff. He is the future, Williams is the past.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams has no leverage. He sits out this year and his career is effectively over. No one is going to give up too much to trade for him now, that might come as the trade deadline looms later in the year once injuries have hit. But that is after the season has commenced.

Call his bluff. Save the contract extension for Scherff. He is the future, Williams is the past.
oh i think he will come in before the season . and no need to do anything

my thing is i tell him show me you can play 16 games at probowl level , then we will talk

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the redskins should hear what he wants, and pay him if its reasonable, and trade him for whatever they can get if its not.

Trents making plenty of cash. Lewan is getting only $4 million per year more than Trent is, so it cant be that he’s asking for that much.

If his demands are ridiculous, then I’d get him off the team as soon as possible. The redskins arent winning the super bowl this year with trent, might as well build for a run without him.

Of course I HOPE they pony up for him. TW was/is a warrior who has put up with enough Redskins bullshit over the years that they should thank their lucky stars that he still wants to play for them...

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed a 5 year, $66 million entension in 2015. Williams has 2 years ans $24 million left on that deal. His extension averaged $13.2 million per year, which is still the 6th highest in the NFL for a LT. Taylor Lewan is currently the league's highest-paid LT after signing a 5 year, $80 million extension with the Titans last July.

Trent Williams

Here you go. As you alluded to - he is due $12.5M (including bonus) this season & $12.5 M nnext season. His dead cap hit is $5.5 this season & about $2M next season. In the past he always appeared to be they type of player who always wanted to play even when injured so I doubt that he sits an entire season.

As others have said - don't do anything at this time. There are still 3 months till the regular season so no time to panic. If this continues through training camp then consider the options since - as others have mentioned - he is likely not part of their long term plans. This could be another case where the Skins need to consider the Pats/Eagles model of moving on from players once they are even a little past their prime. It can be painful for fans initially, but it may be in the long term interest of the team (yes props to you Sty since you have basically stated this several times in the past).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well regardless of how this plays out this just undermines the need to focus on OL for next offseason especially via the draft. Just like the DL during the last few years - time to retool this area & young players are always much cheaper & not subject to this to type of BS. The Redskins are now very aware that you can't tie up all your $$ in a few players (Smith, Norman, Williams, etc).

If Haskins pans out they will be in a very good position in a year or two once Smith's contract comes off the books. This is a reason to not overreact to Williams' demands. I love the guy, but he can't hijack the Skins' plans for the future.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well now are top needs are LT LG and possibly RG . add to it wr and safety . the best thing i see happening for us is montae finds himself at safety , the wrs work out (quinn , sims , mclaurin and harmon ) and martin is the LG

if all play at a high level then thats great , if half do it thats good , if all fail yikes

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The leverage that Williams has is that the team doesn't currently have his replacement in house. He knows it, they know it, and I believe that this will be an ongoing training camp story when Williams becomes a no-show.
How can a player with 2 years on his contract (when signed the highest paid LT) not show up for his team. The Skins if you recall, have stuck by TW's during not only his pot smoking days, but numerous injuries that seem to be accumulating over the past 2-3 seasons. I get it, TW's has outplayed his current contract, good for him. His team has also stuck behind him, made him a Captain regardless and quite often pump him up as the best LT in football which I could argue against. He is top 3 for sure however. Next off season would be better timing for a new deal that makes sense for both sides. C'mon Trent, be part of the solution here and not part of the problem in what appears to be an up and coming team.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TRENT WILLIAMST, WASHINGTON REDSKINS

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Redskins LT Trent Williams has demanded the team trade or release him.
According to La Canfora, the issue on Williams' end is not about money; it's about the team's handling of his medical situation. We assume Williams is referring to the growth or tumor he had on his head. There was naturally some scare about the situation. Williams has since refused to report to the team and has "vowed" to not play again for the Redskins. Giddy up. The Redskins have been using Ereck Flowers (lol) in Williams' place at left tackle this spring.

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Jun 5, 2019, 12:44 PM ET

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the LaCanfora stuff confirmed by somebody other than he?

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently this all falls on the dreadful training staff and team doctors. First off, this is not a football injury. This scalp problem could have been miss - diagnosed at first and why TW's is upset with the team. Maybe it was time for a high profile player like TW to bring this to light. I personally think he could have handled the situation better but make no mistake, there are 2 years left on his current contract. TW is going nowhere!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think he is getting older and wants another pay day . the tumor could have triggered this and its understandable

the team has to answer this . can he be a productive player till 35 . if yes pay him if not draft his replacement

if you cut him now you get no comp pick . if you cant trade him for more then a 3rd rounder then why do it?

so keep him pick up the tackle the browns just cut off of waivers no matter what and go from there

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can a player with 2 years on his contract (when signed the highest paid LT) not show up for his team. The Skins if you recall, have stuck by TW's during not only his pot smoking days, but numerous injuries that seem to be accumulating over the past 2-3 seasons. I get it, TW's has outplayed his current contract, good for him. His team has also stuck behind him, made him a Captain regardless and quite often pump him up as the best LT in football which I could argue against. He is top 3 for sure however. Next off season would be better timing for a new deal that makes sense for both sides. C'mon Trent, be part of the solution here and not part of the problem in what appears to be an up and coming team.

It's all business my friend, Players know how it's played and so does everyone else. Players age out and almost always want that final big contract, organizations want these final years at costs that minimally impact the salary cap. I'm hearing that it's not money at all in this instance though. I hope that everyone takes a pause just to see where this issue is rooted, what can or cannot be done to correct it, even if that means we lose Trent.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has got to be more to this story that we have heard. This is out of character for Trent to act this way. Of course this is right in character for this team. Something else has happened here that has not yet come out.

In any event, do not trade TW at this time. His value is at its lowest point. See what can be done to repair that fissure that has happened with him and the organization. Give it a few months and see if things calm down.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all business my friend, Players know how it's played and so does everyone else. Players age out and almost always want that final big contract, organizations want these final years at costs that minimally impact the salary cap. I'm hearing that it's not money at all in this instance though. I hope that everyone takes a pause just to see where this issue is rooted, what can or cannot be done to correct it, even if that means we lose Trent.
Why would we lose a player with 2 years on his current contract? Someone in the building needs to start talking about the details of the surgery or what has lead Williams to be so disgruntled with an organization that stood behind him during some dark days and at one point, made him the highest paid LT in football. My understanding is this surgery was non football related. What is the actual beef here?

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take this is a crap move by Williams with 2 years left on his deal. His play has not be on par for the last two years maybe b/c of injuries but its been just ok. I didn't expect this from the Captain of our team. There is no way that we need this crap right now.
I don't agree with you often dean but in this case, the REAL issue needs to come out on the table. A player with 2 years on his current contract has no beef. This all seems to stem around the scalp surgery (non football related) the team conducted on Williams. We need the facts but this was a poor play by Williams given his history. Bad, bad timing for this scenario. Williams should be ashamed.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we lose a player with 2 years on his current contract? Someone in the building needs to start talking about the details of the surgery or what has lead Williams to be so disgruntled with an organization that stood behind him during some dark days and at one point, made him the highest paid LT in football. My understanding is this surgery was non football related. What is the actual beef here?

IF and I repeat with a giant "IF" these reports are accurate, then Trent has been afforded plenty of time to think it through and come to the conclusion that he wants out. Now you and I might disagree on this but, from my perspective when there is a public pronouncement made, there's often very little that can alter or change the mind of the person making it. I do agree that there has to be some introspection concerning what's led to this and future correction made.

The silver lining about Williams possibly being kept, if Morgan Moses is correct, is that Moses states that it's league wide.