• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Switching to a baitcast

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think I have to use a left handed model? I'm right handed. Cast with my right and reel with my left hand. I think (if I remember correctly) to get that setup I had to buy a left handed model.
Yes, typically they're right handed (meaning the reel is on the right). No idea why this is but it's just been that way for ages. Only recently have the "left handed" models become popular. Mostly because right handed people have started to realize it makes more sense to hold the pole with your dominant hand and reel with the left. No need to switch hands then.

The big baitcasters are a bit different in terms of settings than the bass baitcasters. The bass baitcasters basically have two settings to adjust. One for the spool and then one for the braking system to prevent backlashes. Some people adjust both, or just one, depending on the weight of the lure. I just leave them open as much as possible and use my thumb to prevent the backlashes.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, typically they're right handed (meaning the reel is on the right). No idea why this is but it's just been that way for ages. Only recently have the "left handed" models become popular. Mostly because right handed people have started to realize it makes more sense to hold the pole with your dominant hand and reel with the left. No need to switch hands then.

The big baitcasters are a bit different in terms of settings than the bass baitcasters. The bass baitcasters basically have two settings to adjust. One for the spool and then one for the braking system to prevent backlashes. Some people adjust both, or just one, depending on the weight of the lure. I just leave them open as much as possible and use my thumb to prevent the backlashes.
Just busted my caster out and cleaned it up. Only has one setting, then spool knob. No magnetics or anything to help with backlash. It's the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6501 C3. Still smooth as silk 15 years later or however old it is.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just busted my caster out and cleaned it up. Only has one setting, then spool knob. No magnetics or anything to help with backlash. It's the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6501 C3. Still smooth as silk 15 years later or however old it is.
That's because that's a more traditional baitcaster and not one of the bass fishing baitcasters like this:

rs.php

The one you have is more traditionally used for things like trolling and not really for casting -- so they don't come with the braking systems used to prevent backlashes.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 6500 series was a popular model for muskie back around 2000. I didn't even know about the magnetics etc. I had it spooled with like 50lb braid or something for the toothy critters. Stripped that off, cleaned it up, and I'm probably going to throw some 15lb mono on it (at least for now) and take it for a spin this weekend. Might not be ideal (the reel is probably a little big for bass) but the rod was actually on the lighter end for muskie so it should work. I'm thinking it might end up working moderately well general fishing. I target bass but hook into all sorts of things (cats, walleye, pike, muskie).

If I went with something smaller (and I might) I'd probably still stick with a round caster without the magnets etc. I'm just used to it and not sure I need anything else.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW St. Croix is unreal with their customer service. I closed the tip of a rod in my car door and snapped it off. Called them and they never even asked what happened. The rod broke and that's all they needed to know. Didn't seem to matter how it happened. They replaced it inside of two weeks.

I love my St Croix Triumph spinning rod that I got for backpacking!

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wound on some 15# Big Game and took the baitcaster out on the Kiski River this weekend. I'm now a big fan of a MH-fast rod for bass. Really nice response on the presentation. Had the spool knob backed out almost completely and just feathered the line with my thumb. No nesting but a few times I did notice the line was "less than perfect" and I pulled some off and re-wound it. Really worked great though. Probably what I'm going to stick with now. Caught a few bass. Two little ones (7"-9") and a nice one (17").

Had my son give it a try a few times and he had some problems. But it was his first time with a baitcaster so all in all he did pretty well.

I need to buy another boat. Not sure I can sell the wife on it though.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anywho...

That setup I have been running (Abu Garcia Ambassaduer 6500) was getting a little heavy and I started eyeballing the whole "low profile" casters. Honestly the 6500 is probably best suited for Muskie/Cat anyway. Was checking them out at Academy and noticed the cheapo Abu Black Max 3. Figured what the hell. Lets go cheap and see how they handle before I mortgage the house on a Revo MGX. So I grab a BMAX3-L and start looking for a St. Croix to pair it with. Started thinking that's kind of silly. $40 reel and $250 rod. Decided to just go total bargain bin and ordered a 7' MH Berkley Lightening Rod. I've got like $80 into it. Probably the least I've ever spent on a rod/reel. We'll see how it goes.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anywho...

That setup I have been running (Abu Garcia Ambassaduer 6500) was getting a little heavy and I started eyeballing the whole "low profile" casters. Honestly the 6500 is probably best suited for Muskie/Cat anyway. Was checking them out at Academy and noticed the cheapo Abu Black Max 3. Figured what the hell. Lets go cheap and see how they handle before I mortgage the house on a Revo MGX. So I grab a BMAX3-L and start looking for a St. Croix to pair it with. Started thinking that's kind of silly. $40 reel and $250 rod. Decided to just go total bargain bin and ordered a 7' MH Berkley Lightening Rod. I've got like $80 into it. Probably the least I've ever spent on a rod/reel. We'll see how it goes.
I'm sure that will be fine. When you pay more for the low-profile reels you're just paying for better braking systems and the ability to cast a little longer. But the cheaper ones seem to work fine so you should be able to get a good feel for it.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that will be fine. When you pay more for the low-profile reels you're just paying for better braking systems and the ability to cast a little longer. But the cheaper ones seem to work fine so you should be able to get a good feel for it.
Most likely it will be fine. That doesn't mean my snobbery won't force me to get a "more respected model" down the line though hahaha. I'm pretty much a Abu Garcia/Shimano guy for reels and a St. Croix guy for rods. There seem to be A LOT of nice rods out there now though. 15-20 years ago (the last time I was really obsessed with fishing) there didn't seem to be half the options there are now. But then again, the internet wasn't what it is now back then either. I pretty much relied on Cabelas and local shops back in the day.

Really getting back into fishing. Been going 2-3 times a week and I'm REALLY trying to figure out a way I can sell the wife on buying another boat.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried out the Black Max last night. Didn't catch anything (I ended up taking it to a pond that has very few fish just to play around with the reel etc.). The reel is unbelievably smooth. Smooth enough that I'm wondering if I need to take my Ambassaduer 6500 apart and oil/grease it. It did sit for a decade plus in my garage. The BMAX3-L casts like a dream. It really feels like a much more expensive reel. I'm beyond impressed really. The spool tentioner is so sensitive it makes tuning the reel a breeze. What I can't figure out is what difference the damned magnet dial thing makes. I tried it all the way on, all the way off, half way... didn't notice a difference.

Being the cocky SOB that I am I casted a few times with the spool set to drop the lure slowly and then backed it out and went free spool. Had no issues until I started flipping for bass in cover. Not sure what I did (well, I probably forgot to re-engage the spool) but I got me the mother of all nests in a matter of seconds haha. Ended my evening. Had to take it home and respool it. That's how bad it was. I need to get some tape on there about 50 yards into the reel to limit the severity of the nests. It's been a long time since I had a nest that bad. Maybe that has to do with how smooth that reel is? Dunno. I'm learning as I go.

The rod is not what I thought it was. I thought I ordered a Lightning Rod but what I actually ordered was the cheaper version, the Cherrywood HD. It's a 7 foot one piece medium heavy/fast action. Still kind of impressed with it. It's a little lighter than what a medium heavy should be so if you grab one, keep that in mind. If you're looking for a MH you might just want to order a H. That being said the action is really excellent. Very sensitive. It'll do pig. It'll do.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried out the Black Max last night. Didn't catch anything (I ended up taking it to a pond that has very few fish just to play around with the reel etc.). The reel is unbelievably smooth. Smooth enough that I'm wondering if I need to take my Ambassaduer 6500 apart and oil/grease it. It did sit for a decade plus in my garage. The BMAX3-L casts like a dream. It really feels like a much more expensive reel. I'm beyond impressed really. The spool tentioner is so sensitive it makes tuning the reel a breeze. What I can't figure out is what difference the damned magnet dial thing makes. I tried it all the way on, all the way off, half way... didn't notice a difference.

Being the cocky SOB that I am I casted a few times with the spool set to drop the lure slowly and then backed it out and went free spool. Had no issues until I started flipping for bass in cover. Not sure what I did (well, I probably forgot to re-engage the spool) but I got me the mother of all nests in a matter of seconds haha. Ended my evening. Had to take it home and respool it. That's how bad it was. I need to get some tape on there about 50 yards into the reel to limit the severity of the nests. It's been a long time since I had a nest that bad. Maybe that has to do with how smooth that reel is? Dunno. I'm learning as I go.

The rod is not what I thought it was. I thought I ordered a Lightning Rod but what I actually ordered was the cheaper version, the Cherrywood HD. It's a 7 foot one piece medium heavy/fast action. Still kind of impressed with it. It's a little lighter than what a medium heavy should be so if you grab one, keep that in mind. If you're looking for a MH you might just want to order a H. That being said the action is really excellent. Very sensitive. It'll do pig. It'll do.
The best part though is when you get a perfect cast and it all goes well, it just feels soooo good. It's like hitting the sweet spot on a baseball bat.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best part though is when you get a perfect cast and it all goes well, it just feels soooo good. It's like hitting the sweet spot on a baseball bat.
No doubt man! There's nothing like it.

Do you ever flip/pitch with your setup? I did that a lot more when I had a boat since it's more useful there and easier being up and working over the edge of the boat. Flipping is one of my favorite techniques. Very stealthy and gentle. I've caught a lot of bass that way. I've even been known to do that with spinning gear (it works, just not as nicely).

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt man! There's nothing like it.

Do you ever flip/pitch with your setup? I did that a lot more when I had a boat since it's more useful there and easier being up and working over the edge of the boat. Flipping is one of my favorite techniques. Very stealthy and gentle. I've caught a lot of bass that way. I've even been known to do that with spinning gear (it works, just not as nicely).
I don't do much of it though I'd like to learn it. I've tried it a few times but there's always some obstacle that makes it harder (like rails along a dock or something like that). The normal boat I'm in we have to sit down or else risk flipping (it's just a row boat on a local lake).

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't do much of it though I'd like to learn it. I've tried it a few times but there's always some obstacle that makes it harder (like rails along a dock or something like that). The normal boat I'm in we have to sit down or else risk flipping (it's just a row boat on a local lake).
I don't know if you could flip from a sitting position (probably, extending your weak arm behind you in a less vertical motion) but you can absolutely do it from the shore. What you're limited by is how far out you can reach out to the fish. If you have a 7' rod you can reach out about 12' from shore. I've had very good luck snagging bass that way as you avoid spooking them with a "plop". Watch a few videos on YouTube and remember that it's a fluid motion. As you dip the tip of your rod you're moving your weak-side hand/arm toward the rod letting the line sift through your fingers (don't pinch the line or let it go).

There's something odd about the motions in concert that can be difficult to get the hang of but after you do it's very natural and easy. I do it without thinking. Which is what lead to that nest I talked about earlier... lol.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boats are RETARDED expensive now FYI. 15 years ago I bought a 24' pontoon for like $1500 without a trailer. Added a trailer for $1500 more and bought a new motor for another $3000. Tossed on a fish finder and was out the door for like $6000. Had a nice setup. Now? Lol. It's more than double.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boats are RETARDED expensive now FYI. 15 years ago I bought a 24' pontoon for like $1500 without a trailer. Added a trailer for $1500 more and bought a new motor for another $3000. Tossed on a fish finder and was out the door for like $6000. Had a nice setup. Now? Lol. It's more than double.
You have to get used. You can find some crazy good deals if you sift through all the other junk (unless you're looking for a project). You can buy 15-20 year old boats for like $5000 and that comes with everything (motor + trailer). Most people just don't use their boat enough to wear any of it out.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to get used. You can find some crazy good deals if you sift through all the other junk (unless you're looking for a project). You can buy 15-20 year old boats for like $5000 and that comes with everything (motor + trailer). Most people just don't use their boat enough to wear any of it out.
That's what I did the last time. And you're right, it's probably what I'll have to do this time. If there is a this time. I just might not be able to swing that any time soon with everything else going on. I've already cut my shooting in half haha.

My concern is that I'm not by any stretch a mechanic. I have 3 car payments (mine, the wife, and the daughter) because I want the warranties, not because i give two shits about driving a new car.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I did the last time. And you're right, it's probably what I'll have to do this time. If there is a this time. I just might not be able to swing that any time soon with everything else going on. I've already cut my shooting in half haha.

My concern is that I'm not by any stretch a mechanic. I have 3 car payments (mine, the wife, and the daughter) because I want the warranties, not because i give two shits about driving a new car.
Oh I'm with you on the car thing. I only get new cars because you never know how someone treated the car before you. Plus, the best years of a car are when it's brand new.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... picked up a Lews Speed Spool LFS and St. Croix Bass-X rod today. Couldn't pass it up for $200.

The boy will be getting my Abu. Bout time he switched to a baitcast anyway.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been sold on St. Croix. Been using them for 25 years.

I'm now sold on Lews. Wow. I need to check out one of their higher end models next. If their $100 reel is this good...