• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Swamp Thing

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC Universe's Swamp Thing Officially Starts Production
swamp-thing-logo-e1536605876944.jpg

Last edited:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swamp Thing will debut on Friday, May 31, 2019.

Swamp Thing reveal:

Last edited:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teaser trailer!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Hollywood run out of ideas? Another retread.

MizzouFalcon

Let’s Fuck Some Shit Up is my legal middle name
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not paying for DC’s streaming service. They still owe me a refund for BvS, JLA and SS.

Fuckers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way is that Arrow-verse. Not even close to the same feel.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not paying for DC’s streaming service. They still owe me a refund for BvS, JLA and SS.

Fuckers.

Justice League >>>>>>any MCU movie. DC didn’t sell out the way Marvel did.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Water Embrace" promo:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Alec" promo:

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it sells, it sells. Not like hollywood has ever been a bastion of integrity. And justice league sucked ass hard, i pretended i liked it for my wife and kid.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Abby" promo:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Full trailer:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oof, not a good look for DC: after only airing one week, Swamp Thing has been cancelled.

Edit/update: Cancellation was apparently not about ratings or the quality of the show (it's currently a nice 92% on RottenTomatoes), but about financing issues in what looks like a comedy of errors; see this post below for details.

Last edited:

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What? The Justice League movie is the definition of "selling out"... Marketers and executives took control and removed all the interesting aspects found on previous DCEU movies while creating the most spineless movie they could possible make. Everything in that movie was cut and edited as a response to the criticism that MOS/BvS received.

Too dark --> Heck lets have even Batman telling lame jokes
Superman too detached --> Now he's smiling all the time and even leaves in the middle of the big fight to save a few civilians
Too long --> Movie has to be short and fun
Too much destruction --> well lets have the big fight in the middle of nowhere, and focus on one family mildly menaced by the alien minions

BvS was a creative failure, but at least they had a creative vision distinct from what the MCU offered. TJL tried so hard to be an MCU movie that they even hired the Avengers director to re-shot and edit it.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oof, not a good look for DC: after only airing one week, Swamp Thing has been cancelled.

It's apparently not about ratings or the quality of the show (it's currently a nice 92% on RottenTomatoes), but about financing issues in what looks like a comedy of errors. According to John Gholson:

John Gholson said:
North Carolina promised a $40m tax rebate that, due to a paperwork error, they were unable to deliver. That was roughly half the proposed budget for s1 (which is estimated at $80m).

John Gholson said:
When NC discovered the error, the corrected. WB shut down production, realizing they'd be taking a bath on the rebate and paying for far more of it than assumed. The adjusted number from NC is something like $14m. That's a massive difference.

John Gholson said:
There won't be a s2 because it's now too expensive to maintain the levels of quality of s1, *especially* for s a niche platform, and there's no great reason to keep the production on standby when the deal in NC is no good for them anyway.

Gholson also said:

John Gholson said:
The pilot grant was a different grant than the series grant. WB got what they expected for the pilot (covering the expensive swamp set). They may have anticipated that same amount for every episode of the series, but nope.

Gholson cites these Star News Online articles as additional sources:

- "Film Funding Nearly Cut from NC House Budget"

- "Swamp Thing, Uncle Frank Eligible for $13 Million in NC Grants"

From the former article:

Star News Online said:
The state's film grant program almost suffered a devastating blow due to what one legislator is calling a miscommunication.

Star News Online said:
As 2019-20 fiscal year budget negotiations continue in the state capital, Rep. Ted Davis Jr., R-New Hanover, said members of the House of Representatives' appropriations committee were given misinformation by the N.C. Department of Commerce that the grant program -- which gets $31 million in funding a year -- still had $67,380,519 sitting unused.

Star News Online said:
That prompted the chairs of the committee to reportedly remove the grant’s upcoming $31 million in funding from the proposed budget altogether.

Star News Online said:
"They thought that if it is just sitting there unused, the grant didn’t need more funding this new fiscal year," Davis said Monday.

Star News Online said:
In reality, the grant doesn't have $67 million in available funding.

Last edited:

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How do you figure Marvel sold out? Because they actually have a road map for their films years ahead of their release? Maybe it's their sense of continuity or the fact that they can get multi-film commitments from their main actors? All things that DC/Warner seems unable to accomplish, or has just now begun to accomplish.

Except for Wonder Woman, the best DC film of the past 20 years is still Green Lantern.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? The Justice League movie is the definition of "selling out"... Marketers and executives took control and removed all the interesting aspects found on previous DCEU movies while creating the most spineless movie they could possible make. Everything in that movie was cut and edited as a response to the criticism that MOS/BvS received.

Too dark --> Heck lets have even Batman telling lame jokes
Superman too detached --> Now he's smiling all the time and even leaves in the middle of the big fight to save a few civilians
Too long --> Movie has to be short and fun
Too much destruction --> well lets have the big fight in the middle of nowhere, and focus on one family mildly menaced by the alien minions

BvS was a creative failure, but at least they had a creative vision distinct from what the MCU offered. TJL tried so hard to be an MCU movie that they even hired the Avengers director to re-shot and edit it.

Ok, I can see you POV on JL. But I still think the DC’s were way better and kept more to the comic book characters. I disagree with BvS. I think it was a solid plot line and I truly think it was a better plot than anything the MCU has put out. Casting Ben Affleck as BW/Batman put them in the hole and DCU did sell out the darker theme, as you pointed out the Justice League did.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I can see you POV on JL. But I still think the DC’s were way better and kept more to the comic book characters. I disagree with BvS. I think it was a solid plot line and I truly think it was a better plot than anything the MCU has put out. Casting Ben Affleck as BW/Batman put them in the hole and DCU did sell out the darker theme, as you pointed out the Justice League did.

BvS was an incoherent mess IMO, but there were solid ideas in it and in the way they tried to build that universe. I really liked the grittier and more grounded approach and the feeling of actual stakes in the stories, when compared to the MCU at the time. A good dark movie can be successful, as proven by TDK.

I probably am in the minority, but I really liked Affleck both as Batman and as Bruce in BvS, and all of the problems are in the writing and not with his portrayal. He was in the best scenes in the movie (Bruce on the ground in Metropolis, the Batmare and Batman’s warehouse fight). Too bad his character was butchered in TJL, trying to make him funny.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang ST was one of the reasons I want to get DCU. At least they still have Teen Titans and Doom Patrol.