• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Summing up our first half

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We sucked. Big time.

When you're 3rd from the bottom at crossing the plate, 2nd from the bottom at preventing the other team from crossing that same plate, and the very bottom at playing defense, it's not exactly the formula for making the postseason. Now even in my most koolaid drinking moments, I never considered this year's team to even sniff the playoffs. But I did expect fewer blowouts against us and fewer 8th/9th inning chokes from our pen. I would have been satisfied with a team playing something like .425 ball, yet keeping ourselves in many more games. I was expecting them to live up to the hype of "Ricky's boys never quit."

Individually, my three biggest disappointments have been Moncada, Giolito, and to a lesser extent, Abreu. The upside for the first two is they seem to be turning the corner, but it's a shame that it takes a little over half the season for them to get started, so to speak. Abreu OTOH started fairly hot, but has been steadily declining the past couple of months. Let's hope he's on the upswing for the remainder of the season.

Altho overall our minor league reports have been pretty decent, the injury bug has hit a lot of key names, and the one man who has avoided the bug, Michael Kopech, our #2 prospect, has definitely shown that he's not ready for the bigs yet. His last start was electric, but he'll need to string together a bunch of those to prove he can make it up here by September.

As dismal as this post reads, I'm still keeping my chin up that in the long run this will be a winning club in the thick of the playoff hunt for a number of years. Now it's more a matter of when this will start happening.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking forward to seeing Eloy up here in September, probably along with Kopech (walk rate has gone down a bit, control seems to be improving... but we'll see) and I also look forward to seeing Cease promoted to AAA. Glad to see Hansen is okay.

Eloy has been a one man wrecking crew at every stop in the minors. Good to see Moncada have a big finish to the first half after a sputtering 6 weeks or so. Especially great to see him fair well from the right side of the plate too over the past 10 days or so.

Giolito has a ways to go, but outside of one start - the pitcher we saw last year is resurfacing a bit as of late. Rodon has posted solid numbers. We need him to show he can stay healthy and keep it up.

Oh, and Avi breaks my heart. He was on fire, but can't stay healthy. Stinks

Some deadline pieces to move as well... maybe pickup a formidable prospect or two.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Tim Anderson has done some good things and actually been very strong defensively as of late.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe abreu, while keeping up a brave face, is dead tired of the crap that is this team .... and it's starting to show.