• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Succession

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a couple episodes in, and it is completely not what I was expecting.

I had no idea this was a satire. I thought it was a corporate drama. But every character (except the father? Maybe?) is completely incompetent and painfully socially inept.

I will probably stick it out through the end of the first season, but so far, it is not doing anything for me.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had no idea this was a satire. I thought it was a corporate drama. But every character (except the father? Maybe?) is completely incompetent and painfully socially inept.

I will probably stick it out through the end of the first season, but so far, it is not doing anything for me.
That's a shame, because I think it's the best written show on TV.

I also think highly of Billions and while both shows are about the excesses of money, both shows work well in different ways.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hated everyone and bailed....yes its well written but I got enough assholes in my real life no need for anymore when I just want to be entertained

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I say at least stick it out through the season. The general premise doesn't really change but you get more into the characters and their rivalries. S2 is a clearly a better season as well, so if by the end of s1 your feelings are starting to change thats something to consider as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It becomes much less satirical after the first half of the first season. The camera work, I think, is what made me think it was a satire (same camera work as Modern Family and Office).

Not a huge fan of how they completely neutered Kent for the whole 2nd season. I thought 1, MAYBE 2 episodes of him acting the puppy dog would have gotten the idea across, but a full season? I liked how they worked it in at the end of S3, but I still think they could have done that without making him a worthless character for so long.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to miss this one when it's over. Spoiler alert I was surprised to see them knock off Logan with so many episodes left. It'll be a different show without him as central focus. But there's a lot to chew on as they maneuver into life without dad.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two episodes have gotten a lot of praise from the critics.
My wife and I both thought they were poorly written and some of the motivations/decisions didn't make sense.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two episodes have gotten a lot of praise from the critics.
My wife and I both thought they were poorly written and some of the motivations/decisions didn't make sense.
That's the point, I think.

One of the last things old man said to the kids was "you are not serious people".

And now, acting on their own, they are showing how deeply unserious they are. Just fucking up left and right.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the point, I think.

One of the last things old man said to the kids was "you are not serious people".

And now, acting on their own, they are showing how deeply unserious they are. Just fucking up left and right.
I get that they think they can do it on their own.
But, the two people in a room conversations just seemed to fall flat for us.

Like, why was Greg suddenly useful to Kendall after they pretty much ignored him whilst on the trip.

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that they think they can do it on their own.
But, the two people in a room conversations just seemed to fall flat for us.

Like, why was Greg suddenly useful to Kendall after they pretty much ignored him whilst on the trip.
He's the buffer mole to do the fucked up shit.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the ending was kind of meh. It was okay, but the whole "Shocking finale!!!!!" thing didn't happen at all.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the ending was kind of meh. It was okay, but the whole "Shocking finale!!!!!" thing didn't happen at all.

i did not like the finale- conclusion at all... they took a weird moral stance, that was never an issue until the end...

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean. it is a good stance to take... but very late for the Murder is wrong stance...
I think you're talking a wildly big leap implying that that was the reason for the final conclusion. That was a fighting dirty moment.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're talking a wildly big leap implying that that was the reason for the final conclusion. That was a fighting dirty moment.

sure... but it was still the big issue... otherwise he would not have backtracked and lied that he didnt do it...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree that it was fighting words... but it was still the excuse she fought with... and I did not say the characters used a weird moral stance. I said the show did. It absolutely felt like they wanted to hurt him so badly because he never deserved anything good. Just seems weird to me when basically the whole show was about how he was damaged by that decision and damaged by his father for using it over him. And then last season ended with a sibling bonding because he told the truth and looked like he was actually getting better. But now his sister destroyed him worse than he ever was before. So again imo it’s a moral stance that murder is wrong. And it was used so weirdly.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the ending was great.

Having none of them "win" was always the logical way. Hell, even Tom I dont think fully won.

But the siblings from the very beginning have always been pieces of shit. All 3 of them. Connor being irrelevent.

So it makes sense that in the end they were never going to agree on who was the best option. Never going to truly come together. And Shiv also saw that while not a "win" having a kid with the guy on top was the best option of all the options headlined by shitbags.

And it was great to see the contrast at the end with Roman and Kendall. Roman was basically at peace with the stress of it all being over and Kendall likely offed himself 2 minutes after the show ended.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the ending was great.

Having none of them "win" was always the logical way. Hell, even Tom I dont think fully won.

But the siblings from the very beginning have always been pieces of shit. All 3 of them. Connor being irrelevent.

So it makes sense that in the end they were never going to agree on who was the best option. Never going to truly come together. And Shiv also saw that while not a "win" having a kid with the guy on top was the best option of all the options headlined by shitbags.

And it was great to see the contrast at the end with Roman and Kendall. Roman was basically at peace with the stress of it all being over and Kendall likely offed himself 2 minutes after the show ended.

although I agree with your assessment, and liked it for that too... I just did not like how they handled the Kendall part... not that I want happy endings or anything... I don't care for that, especially if forced... but it really seemed weird to me how he was really the only LOSER... sure roman got nothing, but his life aint changing for nothing.....

I again can only think the writers were punishing Kendall, and I just don't get why... was it so we can feel bad for him??

I disagree about tom though... he totally won... he was always a kiss ass... that was his thing... now he is a kiss ass and a yes man with a title... but he got that title because shiv said he would be that...

I was also rooting for the Roys over Maatson... Maatson was just as bad as the Roys.. but showed nobody any respect... so it wasn't like there was a BEST scenario for this company... so I thought it was going to stay in the family...