• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SU Football 2014

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article echo's my thoughts on why SU fans have reason to be optimistic this year. I'm guessing the largest obstacle to get past will be replacing Mackey McPherson. Center's are not easily replaced.

Aside from the center, four starting OL return. The WR Corps is set to improve the most with Funderburk, Estime coming on at the end of the season. Broyld was very consistent and was a micro step away from monster plays.

Smith was a decent power back, but SU returns a load of great backs....a couple will turn out to be much better than Smith.

SU lost a great MLB in Spruil, but SU returns very good players at the LB position.

And the class that is on campus this summer looks to be one of the better classes in years. Year 2 under Shafer and returning one of the more experienced groups in D1....

Seeing SU is not in anyone's top 40....IMO...SU is one of the most underrated D1 team.

The biggest reason the Syracuse football team should be optimistic about the 2014 season | syracuse.com

Last edited by a moderator:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 is a nasty schedule with SU playing ND, Clemson, FSU, Dukeand UofL….all ranked at the end of last year.

This year….SU will beat either Duke or UofL…maybe both. I'm looking for an 8 – 4 season.

W - 8/29 Villanova
W - 9/13 @Central Michigan
W - 9/20 Maryland
L - 9/27 Neutralv s ND
W - 10/3 UofL
L - 10/11 FSU
W - 10/18 @ Wake Forest
L - 10/25 @ Clemson
W - 11/1 NC State
L - 11/8 Duke
W - 11/22 @ Pitt
W - 22/29 @ Boston College

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orange quarterback Terrel Hunt is coming into the 2014 season with a lot of expectations, most notably to improve his passing game. It can't hurt that he attended the Manning Passing Academy over the weekend. He stopped by ESPN CNY to discuss how it went and other Syracuse-type things...
On when he realized he was legitimate college quarterback.

"It was really after the bowl game when I won MVP and I was like...wow, you know, I could actually do this. It's not just a dream anymore."
On what those first couple ACC games (like Clemson and Georgia Tech) were like.
"I was sitting on a high horse in those first two games. It was a real reality change, you know, this was real talent we were playing. Not to knock Tulane or Wagner...it's a big jump-off. So, really it was just about seeing I could compete with them...I think we did pretty okay to have everyone new, a new coach, first year in the ACC which is one of the top conferences...I think we did pretty well so now we're just gonna build off of that. We have our confidence. We know what to expect, so now we're just gonna go out there and just work."
On what he wants out of the Syracuse offense this season.
"I want to see us put up points. You know, we put up a few points but I don't think it was enough last year. I wanna add more yards to the rushing game. I wanna add more yards to the passing game. I wanna average more yards. So, you know, I just want us to be great."
On freshman quarterbacks A.J. Long & Alin Edouard.
"A.J., you know, he's got a drive you don't see in a lot of people. He just wants it bad. Alin is a little bit more laid back but not to say he doesn't want it as bad. It's cool cause they're both different. Alin reminds me of myself cause he's a kinda laid-back kinda guy but he's a good quarterback. And I just want to be able to help them as much as I can."
Terrel also showed praise forJosh Parris, Corey Cooper, Jamal Custis and Steve Ishmael as upcoming talents this season.

On the expectations from preseason magazines.
"They're wrong. They've very wrong...we're always underdogs but it's okay cause we like being underdogs cause when he hit'm in the mouth, they'll be like "Oh my God, where'd this come from?"
As for that Manning Camp, what did Terrel learn from Peyton Manning?

"It was little things like how to throw post routes better," Hunt said. "I was talking to Peyton about that, how I would like my guys to keep it skinny because it's always easier to break in, rather then break in and I'll throw it out and they'll have to re-adjust."
"Even when it's annoying and gets boring, that's when you've got to actually really do it, because that's when it's going to stick," Hunt recalls Peyton Manning telling him.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Syracuse, N.Y. — The preseason depth chart for the Syracuse football team was released Sunday in the team's media guide, and there are two big changes to note since the end of spring practice.

One is the emergence of left guard Omari Palmer. He will open training camp as the starter over Rob Trudo, who started all 13 games there last season.

And senior Adonis Ameen-Moore, who rarely saw the field last year, is listed as the primary backup to running back Prince-Tyson Gulley.

Syracuse opens training camp in early August and will again spend part of camp at Fort Drum.

With Palmer's emergence, the offensive line appears to be a position of strength for the Orange this year. With Michael Lasker and returning starter Ivan Foy battling for the starting right tackle position, the Orange should feel confident it has at least seven game-ready players up front.

Running back, a strength on offense last year, will again be deep, and Ameen-Moore has dropped weight this offseason in hopes of contributing. He looks like he's on track to do so.

Some other notes from the depth chart, which was updated June 20:

1. Sean Avant has jumped Corey Winfield as the primary backup to Brisly Estime in the slot. Quarterback Terrel Hunt recently said Avant is one of the team's best route runners.

2. Mitch Kimble is listed as the back-up quarterback, followed by A.J. Long, Austin Wilson, Alin Edouard and Troy Green. The competition for the No. 2 QB job is wide open heading into camp.

3. Three freshmen are listed on the No. 2 line: Aaron Roberts is backing up Nick Robinson at right guard, Zaire Franklin is behind Cam Lynch at weak-side linebacker and cornerback Juwan Dowels is right behind the trio of Julian Whigham, Brandon Reddish and Wayne Morgan.

4. Wide receiver remains a bit of a scramble. Adrian Flemming and Ashton are listed as co-starters at one position, and Jarrod West is a starter at the other.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Estime is......:bolt:

His opportunities to showcase that athleticism were limited as he learned the playbook, but his final burst ultimately set Syracuse up for its game-winning touchdown in the Texas Bowl.

Now he returns as a sophomore with much higher expectations. And, according to strength and conditioning coach Will Hicks, he's faster too.

Estime and the rest of his SU teammates were timed in the 40-yard dash at practice on Monday. He posted a video of his run on Instagram before later taking it down. He wrote that he was clocked at 4.42 seconds — a mark only 12 players beat at the 2014 NFL Draft Combine.

Gus-3

Honeoye
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey man.

Looking forward to the season, hopin' to get to a game.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey man.

Looking forward to the season, hopin' to get to a game.

Dude....it's been a while. Hope all is going well for you and the family.

SU's got a wicked tough schedule this year. But this years team is better than last year....at least starting out the season. If hunt can stay healthy....SU is going to surprise folks again this year.

I still have my season tickets, so I hope to make every home game. Let me know if you are going to a game and I'll try and meet ya some place for a beer or two...or three. :nod:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problems on the DLine

Defensive tackle was a position of worry entering training camp for Syracuse. It remains one with 10 days left until the team's season-opener against Villanova.

Defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough said he is concerned, but not panicked, about SU's inability to identify a second starter from its collection of defensive tackles.

"It's a concern because no one has stepped up and taken it," Bullough said. "They're all just kind of the same player."

Last year Jay Bromley was one of the team's difference-makers on defense, turning himself into a third-round draft pick and the team's marquee presence on the defensive line.

Bromley's 10 sacks were two fewer than the rest of the defensive line combined. He was the only one on the defensive front to force a fumble.

Defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough 'concerned' about lack of starter at defensive tackle | syracuse.com

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freshman receivers Jamal Custis, Steve Ishmael will play immediately,

"He's going to be out there," McDonald said of Custis. "He's a good player. We're going to give him what he can (handle). We've still got about 10 days left (before the season opener against Villanova), but he'll be out there. I can't give a play count, but we're excited to get him out there."

The coaching staff hopes that Custis, at 6 feet, 5 inches, will cause matchup problems for linebackers split off the line. He is also expected to be used in red-zone packages. How much Custis plays early in the season will be directly related to how quickly he can master the various packages in the playbook.

In an interview on Monday, Ishmael said that he doesn't know how much the staff plans on using him this season, but he feels ready to contribute any way he can.

That starts with SU's season opener against Villanova on Aug. 29.

Said McDonald: "Steve will play. Steve will be out there."

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gus-3

Honeoye
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonvi, looks like I will be there tomorrow night for the opener.

Gotta get out of work early, stash the dogs, drive to Baldwinsville, and grab a cab to downtown.

Tickets are free from that former player I told ya about back in the cBS days.

GO CUSE!

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jonvi, looks like I will be there tomorrow night for the opener.

Gotta get out of work early, stash the dogs, drive to Baldwinsville, and grab a cab to downtown.

Tickets are free from that former player I told ya about back in the cBS days.

GO CUSE!

Awesome. My seats are Section 129, Row F, seats 111 and 112. I'm taking off tomorrow and will be at the South Manley Parking lot which is at the Carmelo Center. I'm arriving at 3:00pm to set up the grill and fry up some ribs, corn on the cob and even hope to have a few lobster. Price choppers has them at $6.99 a pound ... just hope they don't run out before I get there.

Man...if you feel like it....get your cab ride to South Manley and I'll have food, beer and JD to pound before the game. I'll hop the shuttle bus at about 6:15...nlt 6:30 to get to the dome and grab a beer at the concession stand.

Gonna start the season off right. :yahoo:

Gus-3

Honeoye
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool.

We are supposed to be tailgating too, but I don't know where exactly. Bednarz is a great griller. Don't know where my seats are yet but we usually have access to a Lux box too. That works out great for the end of the game, they don't stop serving when the concessions do.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man that's good stuff. Enjoy yourself and I may even see you around.

Gus-3

Honeoye
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll try to come find ya during the game if I don't find ya before it. Sounds like the Lux Box is gone forever, dammit.

Ain't been to a game since Paulus lost the home opener to MN in OT.

Go Cuse!

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F'n Gus...It was great seeing you. I hope you stayed till the end. What a finish.

I'm heading to PA in the morning...shit it's already morning. Won't be back till after Labor Day. I'll catch up with you later and we'll compare notes. I put up some of my thoughts in the Nova @ SU thread in the CFB pages if you want to check those out.

Gus-3

Honeoye
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great to see you too, I like the seats you got. We were at the Basketball end in the 300s. 1/2 assed surprised I got by those ticket checkers but had to give it a try. Kept runnin' into people I knew on my way over there, I started out before the end of the first 1/2.

Rough start to season, 'Nova's QB outplayed Hunt even before he got ejected. It is a W.

Bednarz had a fellow 88er staying at his place for the weekend, a DL guy, another huge dude. Hang out with people like that and nobody gives ya any grief what so ever ... lol.

So he cooked up Philly cheese steaks and we were drinking Yeunglings, he was sayin he wanted to eat THEIR food, drink THEIR beer, and kick THEIR ass.

Had a great time, might get up there again this season.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^ I really like my seats. Both OT's were on our end of the field. Being on the 10...I was johnny on the spot man.

But sure could use a couple of x-cuse players to living things up. Again....it was great seeing you and hope you can make another game or two.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunt will not be suspended another game....and here's why....

Gus-3

Honeoye
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um ... ^ is pretty funny.

Cuse looked waaaaay better yesterday after a bit of a slow start. 5 RBs and Hunt is the one running the ball across the goal line. I like the pop that Phillips brought in, right between the tackles, great vision.

2-0 Can't get any better.

Terps coming to town Saturday.

GO CUSE!