• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stupid Lazy Penalties lead to another loss

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't move your feet, don't keep your stick down, penalties will happen....

Same old sad song. The team has a reputation for cheap play. Briere is his own worst enemy (mind you, he nearly got gutted on a face off and nothing was called the other way which is a different issue).

As long as players keep getting ice time while not performing (Simmonds) these problems are going to persist.

Thankfully it is a long season. As a team the overall response is better than it has been in recent years. That said....it is so hard to watch games that are punctuated with stupid stick fouls and lazy clutch and grab penalties and the "I am innocent" indignation looks.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad, isn't it??

These problems will continue to persist until Lavy starts parking guys up in the press box or cutting their ice time down to 4th line levels.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha Noooo thanks man. We're already leading the league in stupid, lazy penalties...no need for more!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my problem is its the same guys every game.. briere, mesz, and simmonds have just been terrible in the penalty taking category.. not looking at any numbers, but if someone came and told me rinaldo, hartnell, simmonds, and talbot were the reason the flyers had so many penalties i wouldn't be surprised (or as angry probably), but its really getting annoying

luckily it seems like the refs try to even it out as best they can so the flyers get tons of PP opportunities too, but (everyone make note, i'm about to compliment pronger) aside from pronger, nobody can shoot from the point and get it through and somewhere remotely close to the net.. i saw bourdon put a point shot on net last night and its almost to the point where if he can do that consistently, he might play his way on to the roster and the powerplay

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
my problem is its the same guys every game.. briere, mesz, and simmonds have just been terrible in the penalty taking category.. not looking at any numbers, but if someone came and told me rinaldo, hartnell, simmonds, and talbot were the reason the flyers had so many penalties i wouldn't be surprised (or as angry probably), but its really getting annoying

luckily it seems like the refs try to even it out as best they can so the flyers get tons of PP opportunities too, but (everyone make note, i'm about to compliment pronger) aside from pronger, nobody can shoot from the point and get it through and somewhere remotely close to the net.. i saw bourdon put a point shot on net last night and its almost to the point where if he can do that consistently, he might play his way on to the roster and the powerplay

Mesz and Timonen can fire it from the point very well..

...and hit the glass

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that there are entirely too many stupid, lazy penalties being taken lately. I was looking at

2011-12 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Minor Penalties - National Hockey League - ESPN

and that beaks down what type of minor penalties the players haven taken. However it does not show how many times they head to the box on evened up occasion.

For instance Hartnell leads the team with 12 minor penalties called against him, but 3 of those were roughing and 2 were for cross checks, meaning that 3-4/5 more then likely resulted in another player also head to the box for roughing. Now let's look at Rinaldo who has 2 roughings and 4 stick penalties, meaning that on 2 of those occasions he may have taken someone else to the box. The thing that drives me the craziest is that Briere has 9 stick penalites on the season so far 1 resulting in a double minor due to drawing blood. So the Flyers have been forced to kill a period worth of penalties because he cannot control his stick. It is these type of penalties that we cannot afford to have to kill all season and into the playoffs, they will cause us to lose far too many games.

On the Defensive end of things we have Mez(9), Carle(7) Coburn(6) combined for 22 minors all pretty much showing that they have been out of position(hooking, holding & interference).

The issue really come down to the fact that the players need to be more responsible on the defensive end of things and that our offensive players need control their sticks in the offensive zone(it is unacceptable to take any penalty in the opponents end). Lavy needs to work on match-ups a bit better. It is unacceptable to ever have Briere's unit on the ice against the opposing teams top line, that should be reserved for Talbot's line. In fact he may need to juggle some lines to make our 3rd line more of a defensive line who can score, something to the effect of...

Harts - G - Jagr
JVR - Briere - Vorchek
Simmonds - Talbot - Read
Rinaldo - Cooter - Zolnerchyk

Mez - Pronger
Coburn- Timonen
Carle - anyone but Lilja

I'm not sure if it's an injury, conditioning or heart issue but we shoudl not be losing to bad teams like we have been lately. It is early to panic since we're at the top of the conference but it's never to early to have such a talented teams problems addressed.

On another note, I'll be the first person to call the reffing questionable and I don't only mean against the Flyers but league wide. I've found myself at times trying to figure out why something is or isn't a penalty when a ref is standing right there. It all comes down to referee interpretation, which is something I swore the NHL promised they were going to work on this past off season apparently the fear of losing Cindy forever pushed this topic off of the table. I'm not trying to downplay the issue of player safety, but ensuring that all teams in the league have a fair chance to win game to game and that the ref's are all on the same page. Roughing is roughing a cross check is a cross check, the intent of a player should not contribute to whether or not the infraction is called.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, I like Mez.

I am embarassed about it, too.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, I like Mez.

I am embarassed about it, too.

Lo I liked him too. But he's earned the d on the end of that so far this season. I can't believe someone suggested him on the top pair. It's almost to the point where it should be 'anyone but mesz' on the 3rd pair

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I,ve mentioned it before,and a lot of you seem to agree-stupid,lazy,mindless,out of position penalties are killing them.

The Flyers do not have a lot of speed on the back end and a lot of teams have picked up
on that.Why not dump the puck into the corner and let the wingers outhustle Pronger,
Timonen and Lilja?

The only thing you can depend on with those 3 is that they're wearing them.Having a good game 1 out of every 4 or 5 is bullshit.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lo I liked him too. But he's earned the d on the end of that so far this season. I can't believe someone suggested him on the top pair. It's almost to the point where it should be 'anyone but mesz' on the 3rd pair

My thought on moving him to play with Pronger was that he played very well last season with a savvy vet in O'Donnell. It's to the point where I really feel that Mez needs to be paired up with Pronger to settle him down and help him find his game again. I think a lot of the FLyers defensive problems start with Lilja. It seems like whoever he gets paired up with spends so much time trying to cover for him they leave themselves totally exposed. The whole waiving Batulis and keeping Walker really fucked us up as far as defensive depth goes.