• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stop rooting for your team to lose to get better draft odds

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that’s not what you said before, nor what I disagreed with.

the spent poorly and were capped out.

but they damn sure tried.

True. But they tried by spending too much for guys who wither had nothing left, or didn't have a lot to begin with. Maybe saying they didn't commit is a bit harsh. But, is getting capped out by spending poorly really any better than not committing? Especially when anyone with any knowledge of the game at all could look at it and know they're spending poorly.

I also wasn't very clear. To me, it's not just that you spent the money, it's what did you spend it on?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. But they tried by spending too much for guys who wither had nothing left, or didn't have a lot to begin with. Maybe saying they didn't commit is a bit harsh. But, is getting capped out by spending poorly really any better than not committing? Especially when anyone with any knowledge of the game at all could look at it and know they're spending poorly.

I also wasn't very clear. To me, it's not just that you spent the money, it's what did you spend it on?
I mean...they did win 66 and 61 games those seasons.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would add no doubt they did not plan at all for a team without Lebron.

they added, with the exception of Hughes, guys who fit well with Lebron.

And then added Shaq after d12 beat them up in 2009. Which made some sense at the time

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they added, with the exception of Hughes, guys who fit well with Lebron.

And then added Shaq after d12 beat them up in 2009. Which made some sense at the time
It's definitely hard to play after losing Lebron when your team is built to play around him...and you have no cap room. I mean, moving Z for Jamison then getting Z back not a bad move. Hughes might even have worked out but he had some serious off court issues.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely hard to play after losing Lebron when your team is built to play around him...and you have no cap room. I mean, moving Z for Jamison then getting Z back not a bad move. Hughes might even have worked out but he had some serious off court issues.

sure, but you can say that about any franchise player

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure, but you can say that about any franchise player
well, not every franchise player wont commit to staying with his team making it hard to attract players to play with him....but agree most teams will take a step back when they lose a franchise guy. Especially one even close to that level.

why I think it's kind of silly to rip them (not saying you have) to be where they are only in year 3 of their current rebuild.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first first link I got from doing NBA draft grades..

Some graded the pick well. Others not as well. Generally for the same reason.

So Dame Lillard and Kyrie Irving in the same backcourt? You don't think that would have posed any problems?

Maybe you're right. Time will tell.
show me a mock draft where Garland was not in the top 6?

The majority of them had him going 4....despite playing only 4 college games.

at the stage the Cavs were(/are) in their rebuild- to not take the Best Player Available would be insanity.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

at the stage the Cavs were(/are) in their rebuild- to not take the Best Player Available would be insanity.

You Cavs fans are so militantly defensive.

Look, if you think the Cavs are doing everything right and there were no other ways to go forward, cool. Hope it all works for you. I really don't care about the Cavs enough to throw shade at them. The point of my conservation was just to talk about whether there were other things the Cavs could have done. If you think that Sexton and Garland were the ONLY logical choices then great. Good luck!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Cavs fans are so militantly defensive.

Look, if you think the Cavs are doing everything right and there were no other ways to go forward, cool. Hope it all works for you. I really don't care about the Cavs enough to throw shade at them. The point of my conservation was just to talk about whether there were other things the Cavs could have done. If you think that Sexton and Garland were the ONLY logical choices then great. Good luck!
again

show me a mock draft where Garland was not in the top 6.

If anyone would have taken a guy like Hayes above him it would have been lunancy.

not militant at all. Just showing you were you are wrong- and you avoiding a real response.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

one where Garland was taken by the Cavs #5

Garland taken 6th

7th

5th to Cavs

6th to Phoenix

6th

4th

4th

like i said----- when you are rebuilding- you take BPA. a majority of the mock drafts had just that- the most common one out there was Garland going 5th to the Cavs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
looking back?

Right now it looks like Zion and Morant are the stars

after that --- there is a group of Barrett, Garland, Herro.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

again

If anyone would have taken a guy like Hayes above him it would have been lunancy.

not militant at all. Just showing you were you are wrong- and you avoiding a real response.

one where Garland was taken by the Cavs #5

Garland taken 6th

7th

5th to Cavs

6th to Phoenix

6th

4th

4th

like i said----- when you are rebuilding- you take BPA. a majority of the mock drafts had just that- the most common one out there was Garland going 5th to the Cavs.

looking back?

Right now it looks like Zion and Morant are the stars

after that --- there is a group of Barrett, Garland, Herro.

Nope, not militant at all. lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, not militant at all. lol
before the Lakers ahd the pick most all the mocks i saw had Garland going to them at #4.

Hunter would have been a decent pick at 5 for the Cavs but he was gone at #4.

In retrospect- if you are going on what they have done thus far- Obviously Zion and Morant would be 1 and 2--- but after that i would say Garland would definitely not gone past 5---- maybe put Herro and Barrett above.

the guys that were actual options- Culver, and White--- have really not distinguished themselves in anyway thats for sure.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
before the Lakers ahd the pick most all the mocks i saw had Garland going to them at #4.

I saw SI had him ranked 12th. But it was an early ranking and wasn't an actual mock where they predict what team a player would go to. I also just kind of skimmed the article, so I don't know if they were predicting that was the order they would go in. It was also from before any draft positions were set.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again

JFC.

I'm not saying that Garland was a bad pick.

But sure. I'm wrong. The Cavs are doing everything right.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw SI had him ranked 12th. But it was an early ranking and wasn't an actual mock where they predict what team a player would go to. I also just kind of skimmed the article, so I don't know if they were predicting that was the order they would go in. It was also from before any draft positions were set.
right- in that same one i think Ja was 10th.....I saw an ESPN on there with Ja 10th but it was a VERY VEERY early one.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right- in that same one i think Ja was 10th.....I saw an ESPN on there with Ja 10th but it was a VERY VEERY early one.

Yeah, if memory serves, there was acknowledgement in the title of the article that it was early.